Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 20:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wellington Boots

CameraBuff
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 30, 2010 20:59 |  #1

Last time out I had on my walking boots and got wet feet when shooting a small local waterfall.

All of a sudden I have an urge for a pair of wellies; probably from reading all those great photography magazines that come out of the UK. I found some online sites in the UK but am hesitant on ordering due to getting a proper fit and not knowing much about them. I also read somewhere that the Hunter Wellington's are made in China now? Would I be better off just looking here at maybe some LaCrosse rubber boots from Cabela's.

Are Wellington rubber boots comfortable to walk in? Are Lacrosse ?

From what I read the US mens is a size smaller than a uk size, ex. us mens 10 would be a uk size 11?

Thanks,

Any advise will be appreciated.

Sony A7r, Sony 16-35 f4, Canon 1d3, Canon 70-200 f4L, Sigma 150-600 contemporary, G1X, Lee filter holder and gnd's, Singh-Ray reverse gnd
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Venno
151 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 30, 2010 21:08 |  #2

If it wasn't for your wellies where would you be
You'd be in the hospital or infirmary

Seriously though wear thick socks and get hunters. Tuck your trousers into your socks as well.

mangrovedutch
522 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 30, 2010 21:21 |  #3

G'day, My experience with Wellies are not good, having said that, the Wellies I know are just Rubber boots, some with steel cap, some not. I prefer decent self draining Hiking boots, if the water is going to be deeper than mid calf, or decent water proof Hiking boots, if just around puddles and soggy ground.
I have found that the Wellies are the most un comfortable boot invented by man. Yes, it has its purpose, but if it involves walking for more than 10-20min, or standing in them for up to an hour, these are not for me :-D

Sizes differ all over the world, UK, US, AUS and Eur, then when you figure out the differences, it's still pot luck LOL

Regards, Dutch

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 30, 2010 23:07 |  #4

If you're going to be wading in the water then a good pair of rubber boots would be ok. If you just want something you can walk in and will stay dry in the rain or handle a splash in a puddle then some type of hiking boot with a Gore-Tex or similar liner would be better.

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 31, 2010 04:44 |  #5

Hi, I have never used 'wellies' but have spent many hours both hiking mountains and building mountain bike trail in very similar 'dunlops'. In Japan these boots are like white bread in America.

They are well worth the purchase. For some reason I have never owned a pair in my size. Always a bit bigger than that usual. I have no explanation why I get them big. But never had any comfort issues.

Anyway they are very comfy, I love wearing them and have used them for hiking/photography many times... stood in rivers... all that stuff.

I don't bother with the steel toe. Only down fall is they don't breath.

If you have support related questions regarding F-Stop Gear, please email an@fstopgear.com (external link) or visit www.fstopgear.com (external link)

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 31, 2010 08:50 |  #6

Aigle Parcours ISO (external link) for me (and my girlfriend). Very comfortable and with a good grip on the heel, which stops them slopping about. They are wellies you really can walk in.

I tried various brands before settling on these. If you intend to cover any distance, and comfort is a concern, then try for fit first. It's worth it. Some of the wellies I tried, including Hunters, were just bleurghhh.

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 31, 2010 10:28 |  #7

Thanks tdodd. Good description of the boot on that site.

edit: UK gear is horribly expensive here in Canada. I've stopped pricing Barbour stuff. Love their coats though; they make wellies too.

Dave

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 31, 2010 18:25 |  #8

Look at the French Le Chameau range then ignore the idiotic prices - they ARE worth it! Quite simply the best walking/hunting wellies made. Almost every time I go to France I am picking up a couple or so pairs of these for the local shotgunners who are out and about regardless of the weather.
Just save up and buy a pair - you will be impressed. The Aigle boots are very very good - Le Chameau are simply better, but more expensive!
As to Barbour prices - my first jacket was stolen after 20 years use, my second (a Ventile) is going strong after 10+ years - I think they are cheap at 60 to 70 pence per year!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 31, 2010 19:08 |  #9

johnf3f--bought my first Barbour suite for $69. 1966. Road 600 miles in heavy rain one day on my bike. Dry. Except for my hands and feet.

Dave

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 01, 2010 02:30 |  #10

johnf3f wrote in post #11200323 (external link)
The Aigle boots are very very good - Le Chameau are simply better, but more expensive!

The best boots are surely the ones that fit the best. I tried Le Chameau but bought Aigle. Price was not a factor. Comfort was.

All my life (I'm 48 ) I've hated wellington boots and done all I can to avoid wearing them. Now I have the Aigles I don't mind wearing wellies in the least. Getting them on and off is a bit of a challenge, but once on I soon forget I'm wearing them. I use mine for walking the dog, so that means plenty of miles covered each time I wear them.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 01, 2010 03:20 |  #11

crn3371 wrote in post #11196240 (external link)
If you're going to be wading in the water then a good pair of rubber boots would be ok. If you just want something you can walk in and will stay dry in the rain or handle a splash in a puddle then some type of hiking boot with a Gore-Tex or similar liner would be better.

+1 hiking boots with gore tex waterproof liner.

http://www.hi-tec.com …lite_sonoma_wpi​-mens.html (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

CameraBuff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 01, 2010 09:03 |  #12

Thanks for your replys. I did see those Le Cheamue but I was not thinking of spending that amount. I am sure it's like anything else; you get what you pay for. Thanks for the link to those Aigles Tim.

I hope to hear from more of you guys about your experience and what you wear for those shoots when you need to get in the surf/water and have to walk a ways to get there. Dosen't anyone really wear wellies?

Sony A7r, Sony 16-35 f4, Canon 1d3, Canon 70-200 f4L, Sigma 150-600 contemporary, G1X, Lee filter holder and gnd's, Singh-Ray reverse gnd
Flickr (external link)

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 01, 2010 10:07 |  #13

CameraBuff wrote in post #11195647 (external link)
Last time out I had on my walking boots and got wet feet when shooting a small local waterfall.

All of a sudden I have an urge for a pair of wellies; probably from reading all those great photography magazines that come out of the UK. I found some online sites in the UK but am hesitant on ordering due to getting a proper fit and not knowing much about them. I also read somewhere that the Hunter Wellington's are made in China now? Would I be better off just looking here at maybe some LaCrosse rubber boots from Cabela's.

Are Wellington rubber boots comfortable to walk in? Are Lacrosse ?

From what I read the US mens is a size smaller than a uk size, ex. us mens 10 would be a uk size 11?

Thanks,

Any advise will be appreciated.

Mucks... or Ducks...

but it's the other way around... UK 10 is about a US 11

hunting boots that are taller will give you better fit and offer waterproof protection.
check out cabelas or the likes... even ll bean.

mucks are cheap option but i hear you can get stuck in mud where your feet would come out and boot will stay in place???

anywhoo... yea, UK 10 is US 11

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

donaldjl
427 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 01, 2010 10:14 as a reply to  @ CameraBuff's post |  #14

L. L. Bean was founded by a fella looking to keep his feet dry and warm during moose and duck hunting in Maine. Might be worth seeing what their company offers.

"And when he came to the place where the Wild Things are they roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws..."

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 01, 2010 17:35 |  #15

tdodd wrote in post #11202546 (external link)
The best boots are surely the ones that fit the best. I tried Le Chameau but bought Aigle. Price was not a factor. Comfort was.

All my life (I'm 48 ) I've hated wellington boots and done all I can to avoid wearing them. Now I have the Aigles I don't mind wearing wellies in the least. Getting them on and off is a bit of a challenge, but once on I soon forget I'm wearing them. I use mine for walking the dog, so that means plenty of miles covered each time I wear them.

You are quite right! Fit is the first priority! For some the Le Chameau's can be a bit tight around the calf muscle (they are on me!) the moral is to try first.
Glad your boots are doing the job!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

2,621 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wellington Boots
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.