Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 12:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HDR image of The World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta using NIK software's new HDR Efex Pro

dougsturgess
432 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 30, 2010 12:07 |  #1

I had initially processed this image with Photoshop CS5's HDR Pro. The results turned out better, in my opinion, with NIK's new HDR Efex Pro. There are a myriad of directions I could have gone with this but I felt this image deserved it's colors to be vibrant & rich.

Comments welcome.

http://www.photoshopus​er.com …tfolios/view/im​age/244580 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Doug Sturgess
www.sturgessart.com (external link)
doug-sturgess.artistwebsite​s.com

sponsored links
richflores1
134 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 30, 2010 12:37 |  #2

NIceee!!!

http://www.facebook.co​m/richardbflores (external link) & http://www.richardbflo​res.com (external link) - Canon All the Way

dougsturgess
THREAD ­ STARTER
432 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 30, 2010 13:06 as a reply to  @ richflores1's post |  #3

Thanks for the compliment, Rich.

Doug Sturgess

Ekean
111 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 30, 2010 21:21 |  #4

fantastic.

Nikon D3s | Nikon 20 f/1.8g | Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art | Nikon 85 f/1.8g |

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 31, 2010 07:53 as a reply to  @ Ekean's post |  #5

Generally, I prefer HDR to reflect reality, but certain subjects can get away with a little heavier tonemapping, which then fall into the realm of digital art (and this is one of them). Looks good, and I like how you kept the "entrance" sign intact.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

dougsturgess
THREAD ­ STARTER
432 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 31, 2010 08:07 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #6

Thanks, Argyle. I agree. For most images I like to stay closer to the reality side of tone mapping. This one seemed to just scream for a push toward more of an exaggerated look. I had processed the image initially with Photomatix last summer. When CS5 introduced, I re-processed with it's HDR Pro & did get better results. However, NIK's HDR Efex Pro blows both of them out of the water for the gamut of realistic to futuristic looks & does it easily in such a nice interface. NIK's software has been the most valuable add-on software I've purchased. They rock!

P.S. This image will be on display in Atlanta in November & December at www.digitalartsstudio.​net (external link) as a 35x52.5 canvas gallery wrap. It looks incredible!

Doug Sturgess

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 31, 2010 08:12 as a reply to  @ dougsturgess's post |  #7

Is the NIK plug-in that much better than Photomatix? I use their Silver Efex Pro plug-in and really like the creativity/functionali​ty that it offers. Photomatix does have some limitations, so I may have to take a look at the NIK offering...

GEAR LIST

dougsturgess
THREAD ­ STARTER
432 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 31, 2010 08:19 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #8

100% better. You can download a free 15 day trial at http://www.niksoftware​.com/hdrefexpro/usa/en​try.php (external link) . I'm not affiliated with NIK or any other company but I could be one of their spokespeople. You'll see for yourself their interface is elegant & functional, the options for tonemapping & using their proprietary control points really make their software top notch. I watched a webinar the other day where a photographer also recommended adding Color Efex Pro's tonal contrast to HDR images. It adds a nice touch & as usual, you can globally or selectively change the opacity of it's effect.

Doug Sturgess

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 31, 2010 09:13 as a reply to  @ dougsturgess's post |  #9

Thanks Doug...I'll give it a look. I also get a 15% discount on NIK offerings through NAPP, so all the more better. Not sure about the single image HDR mentioned in their promo...kinda goes against the grain/whole dynamic range thing. ;)

GEAR LIST

dougsturgess
THREAD ­ STARTER
432 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 31, 2010 09:20 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #10

Great on the discount. My NAPP membership has paid for itself many times over. After using HDR Efex Pro, I think you'll probably be like me & not touch Photomatix or CS5 HDR Pro again. Like you said, it does go against the HDR grain, but in a pinch, it works great for the right image.

Doug Sturgess

sponsored links

1,676 views & 0 likes for this thread
HDR image of The World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta using NIK software's new HDR Efex Pro
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.