Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Budget Light Meter

neardark
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 31, 2010 07:05 |  #1

Can anyone tell me about a good budget light meter, one that can tellt what aperture I should use based on the light it measured, maybe they all do this?

Thanks

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 31, 2010 07:37 |  #2

What is your budget?

All light meters let you choose the ISO value and either shutter speed or aperture. If you choose a shutter speed, they show aperture and if you choose aperture they show shutter speed. Some meters can read the light from flash sources while others (usually older and less expensive) cannot.

My recommendation - though it's not the lowest price meter - is the Sekonic L-358. It is capable of measuring ordinary light and light from flash sources.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

jrscls
Goldmember
3,050 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 31, 2010 07:39 |  #3

I have been using a Sekonic L-308S for a few years now and it has been very reliable.

Nikon Z6, 20mm f/1.8 S, 35mm f/1.8 S, 50mm f/1.8 S, 85mm f/1.8 S, 105mm f/2.8 G VR Micro, 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR, 200-500mm f/5.6 E VR, TC-14E III, FTZ, Flashpoint/Godox Flashes

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 31, 2010 07:42 as a reply to  @ jrscls's post |  #4

The Sekonic L-308S is a good alternative for budget conscious people that are not concerned about bells and whistles. For metering ambient or flash, the L-308S will certainly do the job.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 31, 2010 08:19 |  #5

SkipD wrote in post #11197381 (external link)
What is your budget?

All light meters let you choose the ISO value and either shutter speed or aperture. If you choose a shutter speed, they show aperture and if you choose aperture they show shutter speed. Some meters can read the light from flash sources while others (usually older and less expensive) cannot.

My recommendation - though it's not the lowest price meter - is the Sekonic L-358. It is capable of measuring ordinary light and light from flash sources.

To be honest My budget is not alot, so am basicaly looking for the cheapest I can get lol

had a look at the Sekonic L-308S and it seems even second hand this one is above my budget lol, maybe I should do without a light meter.

Flickr (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 31, 2010 08:35 as a reply to  @ neardark's post |  #6

If the L-308s (new or used) is above your budget then I would suggest that you save your money and get the meter when funds are available. You may turn up something on ebay or the used market if you keep your eyes peeled.

Robert

DimensionZero
354 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 31, 2010 14:04 |  #7

If you have an iPhone 3GS+, there's a free app on the store you can check out. Unfortunately I've only got the 3G so I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe someone here can give it a go, I'm definitely curious to know how close it is to an actual light meter.

http://itunes.apple.co​m …ht-meter/id381698089?mt=8 (external link)

Ken
Canon 7D
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC | Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Manfrotto 3021BN w/486RC2
deviantArt (external link) | my Blog (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 31, 2010 15:24 |  #8

DimensionZero wrote in post #11198936 (external link)
If you have an iPhone 3GS+, there's a free app on the store you can check out. Unfortunately I've only got the 3G so I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe someone here can give it a go, I'm definitely curious to know how close it is to an actual light meter.

It only measures reflected light so it's no better, and probably not as good, as the meter in your camera.

Robert

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Oct 31, 2010 15:36 |  #9

DimensionZero wrote in post #11198936 (external link)

TMR Design wrote in post #11199401 (external link)
It only measures reflected light so it's no better, and probably not as good, as the meter in your camera.

And, in addition, I'm pretty sure the iPhone would not be able to measure light from a flash source.

Skip Douglas

skruft
42 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 31, 2010 18:23 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #10

Not a simple topic - it depends on exactly what you want to do, and especially whether you want to meter flash or only ambient light. Maybe explain more, and people can make good recommendations.

You can find very good meters used if you're on a budget.

The meters that seem most popular today are Sekonic but there are many others too.

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 31, 2010 18:27 |  #11

Wein flash meter works well.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …334-REG/Wein_W950010.html (external link)

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 31, 2010 18:38 |  #12

neardark wrote in post #11197315 (external link)
Can anyone tell me about a good budget light meter, one that can tellt what aperture I should use based on the light it measured, maybe they all do this?

The Gossen Digisix (external link) is a light, small, inexpensive and useful light meter that handles ambient and incident metering.

neardark
THREAD ­ STARTER
161 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 01, 2010 07:09 |  #13

skruft wrote in post #11200316 (external link)
Not a simple topic - it depends on exactly what you want to do, and especially whether you want to meter flash or only ambient light. Maybe explain more, and people can make good recommendations.

You can find very good meters used if you're on a budget.

The meters that seem most popular today are Sekonic but there are many others too.

I want to be able to measure strobe and outdoor light.

Flickr (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Nov 01, 2010 07:36 |  #14

neardark wrote in post #11203147 (external link)
I want to be able to measure strobe and outdoor light.

There's another factor when choosing a light meter. That is how low a light level the meter will be useful in. The less expensive meters are less sensitive to light and won't do as well in an indoor natural-lighting situation as the better meters.

The Sekonic L-308 would be the lowest quality meter I would consider, but if you could save enough for the Sekonic L-358, you would be satisfied with it for many years.

Skip Douglas

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 01, 2010 07:41 |  #15

SkipD wrote in post #11203220 (external link)
The Sekonic L-308 would be the lowest quality meter I would consider, but if you could save enough for the Sekonic L-358, you would be satisfied with it for many years.

Agreed.

Robert

sponsored links

7,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
Budget Light Meter
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.