Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 31 Oct 2010 (Sunday) 13:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait shoot

abdeyman
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 31, 2010 13:46 |  #1

Latest fall photoshoot... C&C welcome.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Scott
Canon T1i, EF-S 18-55, EF 75-300, 430EX

sponsored links
Murray ­ Warner
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 31, 2010 16:09 |  #2

I am certainly not an expert but just to see if other see what I do. The first pose is perfect except her top just does not work well at all. Too much pattern and light colours draw the attention of the eye before the subject does.

Benji
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 31, 2010 18:52 |  #3

In the fisrt shot the lighting is very nice but her eyes look like she was either squinting or you caught her when she had just started to blink. Look at both images and then compare the size of her eyes. It appears that the correct size of her eyes is in the second image.

Second image, it is flat lit (on camera flash will do that) and she is turned too far away from the camera. A 45° turn is ideal in about 95% of all portraits. Also five seconds spent sweeping her hair back would have improved this image a lot.

Benji

lapiqurestudios
236 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 01, 2010 09:25 |  #4

I agree with Murray, good shot but wow the first thing my eyes went to was her chest! And it had nothing to do with her breasts!

www.javierherreraphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-70 f2.8L, Sigma 85 1.4, 70-200mm F2.8 L, Profoto Acute 2 1200 w/s lighting systems, AB Einsteins

abdeyman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 02, 2010 17:00 |  #5

I should have been more specific on what not to wear, that top really didn't work well. I missed the eyes, I'll have to see if I have another without her squinting.

Scott
Canon T1i, EF-S 18-55, EF 75-300, 430EX

Tawcan
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 02, 2010 19:06 |  #6

#1 her facial expression is kinda weird. You're also cutting her off right at her knees. I think you were shooting on a very bright day? A trick is to have the model closing her eyes, get her to open up her eyes on the count to 3, then snap a pic quickly. As others have already mentioned the top is too distracting. I mean if you were show casing the top then it'd be ok but I'd pose her differently if that was the case.

#2 The lighting is kinda flat, her face is a little overexposed.

boblai.com (external link) |Facebook Fanpage (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Benji
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 02, 2010 19:22 |  #7

[QUOTE=Tawcan;11213426​]A trick is to have the model closing her eyes, get her to open up her eyes on the count to 3, then snap a pic quickly./quote]

Yup, that way you are guaranteed to get that "deer caught in the headlights" look that is all the rage right now. Closing your eyes causes your pupils to dilate due to the darkness so when you quickly open them up it takes a split second for the eye to react, and that is when you are supposed to shoot? Hardly.

Benji

Tawcan
Goldmember
2,679 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 02, 2010 19:27 |  #8

[QUOTE=Benji;11213551]

Tawcan wrote in post #11213426 (external link)
A trick is to have the model closing her eyes, get her to open up her eyes on the count to 3, then snap a pic quickly./quote]

Yup, that way you are guaranteed to get that "deer caught in the headlights" look that is all the rage right now. Closing your eyes causes your pupils to dilate due to the darkness so when you quickly open them up it takes a split second for the eye to react, and that is when you are supposed to shoot? Hardly.

Benji

That's a good call. I don't usually shoot when it's bright out, that's just something one of the models I worked with told me.

The solution, of course, is to not shoot at noon. :)

boblai.com (external link) |Facebook Fanpage (external link) | Flickr (external link)

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 02, 2010 22:34 |  #9

The mountain in the background is distracting as it cuts right into the head with very similar palette of colors. perhaps getting the mountain a little lower in the background, little around the shoulder might make her stand out more and provide the separation and attention to the face.

CameraLogy.Com (external link) MMayhem (external link) Twitter (external link) GEARG+ (external link)
My Facebook Page (external link)!!

Saul_Dzorelashvili
623 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 03, 2010 00:16 |  #10

I think that there is too much light on her face, (second portrait).

www.sauldzorelashvili.​com (external link)
Sony Nex 7

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 03, 2010 02:02 as a reply to  @ Saul_Dzorelashvili's post |  #11

She's a very beautiful model. You just need to regulate your light a little better and maybe PP a little more to correct the lighting and clothing issue's.
IMO, these are very nice and could be much better with some work. I always try to get as much correct at time of capture and use CSx to clean up the little stuff. Nice work. Keep shooting and posting. It will become better with time and practice.

HOSTED PHOTO

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

sponsored links

1,919 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portrait shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.