Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 01 Nov 2010 (Monday) 20:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Refurb 24-105L $540

edmyloo
861 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 02, 2010 23:07 |  #76

patrick835 wrote in post #11214894 (external link)
2nd this. i want a new one shipped to me vie express mail. CSR's explanation was polite but unreasonable. I asked again and again and still he did not offer me anything. He said I could order a new one for $1200. yeah right.

Amen, I finally got myself to order myself an XSi as a first DSLR and got a 28-135 along with it which they had listed for 120. My dad also got one for himself. Now, I'm seriously pissed and thinking about Nikon or even Sony. They didn't just cancel the lens, they canceled my whole order.

sponsored links
MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 02, 2010 23:51 |  #77

Celtic Tiger wrote in post #11214803 (external link)
That really, really, really sucks! They should sub a new one to anyone who got as far as you did.

patrick835 wrote in post #11214894 (external link)
2nd this. i want a new one shipped to me vie express mail. CSR's explanation was polite but unreasonable. I asked again and again and still he did not offer me anything. He said I could order a new one for $1200. yeah right.

Retailers are under no obligation to honor prices, or even do business with you at all. This was obviously a price mistake on their end. You guys are fooling yourselves if you think companies are going to lose hundreds of dollars per order just to make some random customer happy. It doesn't work that way. It's the same story with every retailer on the market, from Amazon to Dell (they have a price mistake every darn week).

Come on over to Slickdeals and watch the deals. I've been there for 2 years now and I've personally had over a dozen orders canceled because they were deemed to be price mistakes. You take your chances and you move on to the next deal. There's no reason to cry over it--it just makes you look silly. Canon won't give a rats arse if they lose one customer--they control the market. If you're really willing to ditch all of your gear and invest elsewhere... be prepared to have the same thing happen.

My Gearlist

nyy
616 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 02, 2010 23:52 |  #78

Dear Photographer,

Thank you for the interest-free overnight loan.

Signed,

Canon, USA.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra scary to me, because there's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside." --Mitch Hedberg

Celtic ­ Tiger
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 03, 2010 00:08 |  #79

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11215147 (external link)
Retailers are under no obligation to honor prices, or even do business with you at all. This was obviously a price mistake on their end. You guys are fooling yourselves if you think companies are going to lose hundreds of dollars per order just to make some random customer happy. It doesn't work that way. It's the same story with every retailer on the market, from Amazon to Dell (they have a price mistake every darn week).

Come on over to Slickdeals and watch the deals. I've been there for 2 years now and I've personally had over a dozen orders canceled because they were deemed to be price mistakes. You take your chances and you move on to the next deal. There's no reason to cry over it--it just makes you look silly. Canon won't give a rats arse if they lose one customer--they control the market. If you're really willing to ditch all of your gear and invest elsewhere... be prepared to have the same thing happen.

Hey look, no one thinks they are going to take Canon down. That's not what I am saying. As far as price mistake, how many mispriced items did they have at once? I guess from this forum we can count at least 2, if in fact they were mistakes. I spoke with a rep who acted like she knew all about it and the price was correct. No one is going to sue Canon or something over something like this; but many times companies will take a short term small hit to enhance long term rep.

If you want to get all legal, in the case of those that did order and were confirmed, a valid offer and acceptance was in effect. If the refurbs were there, theoretically one could have sued for specific performance (of course no one would for this amount of money).

The prevailing sentiment is simply...it is poor business practice. Goodwill has suffered w/r/t the people who were offered then denied. Some companies care about this, some don't. I guess we know which type Canon is.

flickr (external link)

turkleten
584 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 03, 2010 00:19 |  #80

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11215147 (external link)

Perfect recent examples on SD:
1) $20 of $20 on HSN --> My order was cancelled.
2) $15 for a box of Godiva chocolates that retails for $80-90. --> 5 boxes cancelled.

I'm over it..

7D | 50mm ƒ1.4 | 17-50 ƒ2.8
Gear | Feedback

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 03, 2010 00:26 |  #81

Celtic Tiger wrote in post #11215223 (external link)
If you want to get all legal, in the case of those that did order and were confirmed, a valid offer and acceptance was in effect. If the refurbs were there, theoretically one could have sued for specific performance (of course no one would for this amount of money).

The prevailing sentiment is simply...it is poor business practice. Goodwill has suffered w/r/t the people who were offered then denied. Some companies care about this, some don't. I guess we know which type Canon is.

Even if you place an order and provide compensation, they're still under no legal obligation to complete the transaction, so long as your payment is refunded. You can't go to a lawyer and say hey, they put a charge on my card, they canceled, and now I want to sue.

Unfortunately, we're talking about hundreds of dollars in difference--a refurb 24-105 is what, $800-$900? They caught the mistake, and I don't expect them to honor those kinds of losses. That wouldn't be goodwill--that'd be highway robbery :)

There really aren't too many companies that will honor obvious price mistakes that've been caught. Dell is by far the worst of the bunch. Amazon is the best--I've had them cancel one order on me because they ran out of stock and couldn't get more--and they actually gave me $25 credit as compensation.

My Gearlist

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 03, 2010 00:29 |  #82

turkleten wrote in post #11215280 (external link)
Perfect recent examples on SD:
1) $20 of $20 on HSN --> My order was cancelled.
2) $15 for a box of Godiva chocolates that retails for $80-90. --> 5 boxes cancelled.

I'm over it..

Yeahhhhh, fellow SDer knows what I'm talking about ;) You go through so many price mistake cancellations that you get over it rather easily. Every time one does go through though, it's like Christmas :)

My Gearlist

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 03, 2010 00:48 as a reply to  @ MOkoFOko's post |  #83

This forum constantly preaches and warns others about scammer prices and yet so many people fell for these lens pricing errors. Canon may not have intentionally tried to scam anyone but, c'mon, you know these prices were well below what's typically for Canon's pricing structure on refurb lenses and other accessories. It was all fishy from the gitgo. The fact is, the lenses prices were just too good to be true. I wouldn't expect compensation for the cancellations since Canon's "Terms of Sale" already covers pricing errors and typos. It sucks, but that's life.

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 03, 2010 00:51 |  #84

spotz04 wrote in post #11215394 (external link)
This forum constantly preaches and warns others about scammer prices and yet so many people fell for these lens pricing errors. Canon may not have intentionally tried to scam anyone but, c'mon, you know these prices were well below what's typically for Canon's pricing structure on refurb lenses and other accessories. It was all fishy from the gitgo. The fact is, the lenses prices were just too good to be true. I wouldn't expect compensation for the cancellations since Canon's "Terms of Sale" already covers pricing errors and typos. It sucks, but that's life.

The problem is, one cannot afford to ignore price mistakes. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes they DO go out. I spot price mistakes on SD quite regularly, and I still place an order. Maybe 15-20% of the time they actually go through. Again, it's Christmas when they don't catch them.

My Gearlist

patrick835
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 03, 2010 07:11 |  #85

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11215402 (external link)
The problem is, one cannot afford to ignore price mistakes. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes they DO go out. I spot price mistakes on SD quite regularly, and I still place an order. Maybe 15-20% of the time they actually go through. Again, it's Christmas when they don't catch them.

This time I called in before I order to make sure it was in stock, then after placing the order I noticed I put in the wrong name for billing info and called back, the rep assured me that the order is valid and that it would go thru.
how is that for a price mistake?

moreover, Canon never said it was a price mistake either. they said they ran out of stock. that's just pure BS.

I wonder if anyone got the 24-105 shipped.

1D mk II + sigma 10-22 + 100f/2.8 + 70-200/f4L + f/2.8L IS II+ tamron AF 2x + 430EX II
[COLOR=darkgreen] 2x Canon 30D + 2x BG-E2N + 18-55 kit + 50mm f/1.8 II + 85 f/1.8 + 100mm Macro + 70-200f/4L + 17-40f/4L + 430EX + 580 EX II + RRS L plate + Markin Q3 + Gitzo G2220
completely broke :lol:

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 03, 2010 08:31 |  #86

patrick835 wrote in post #11216434 (external link)
I wonder if anyone got the 24-105 shipped.

some folks over at SD reported that their 28-135mm and 24-105mm lenses had shipped.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

Celtic ­ Tiger
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 03, 2010 08:48 |  #87

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11215303 (external link)
Even if you place an order and provide compensation, they're still under no legal obligation to complete the transaction, so long as your payment is refunded. You can't go to a lawyer and say hey, they put a charge on my card, they canceled, and now I want to sue.

Actually, yes they are. If a valid offer and acceptance was found to exist, they are under obligation to perform. If not, contract law would be in shambles. Specific performance may not be possible if they actually don't have the refurbs; but if they do unless there was a mistake of fact, it would be entirely possible a judge would order them to perform. We're in the world of the theoretical and ridiculous however. These transactions are too small for anyone to actually pursue. Still the concept is valid.

Now as to mistake of fact, was it really a typo pricing error or a poor business decision (some posters had said that they had seen similar refurb pricing in the past). The former may get you off the hook the latter would not.

flickr (external link)

wdwpsu
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 03, 2010 09:10 |  #88

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11215402 (external link)

Like the 55-250 IS I got from HHGregg for $79 a year ago. 95% of these don't go through. And once in awhile, they'll throw you a bone as a compensation for their mistake. But, most times, you get the sorry, have a nice day..

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 03, 2010 09:36 |  #89

Interesting to find that a lot of the orders have been cancelled. I originally missed the 24-105L, but ordered one of the 28-135s and received a ship confirmation yesterday. I must have been one of the few that snagged one of those. Canon may be being honest if they're saying they oversold their refurbished inventory.

And yes, as an avid SlickDealer, I've also had several orders cancelled for items that were reported as price mistakes. You win some, you lose some.

VinnieJ
642 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 03, 2010 13:02 |  #90

I remember over the spring I got a $2K laptop from Dell for $1200 because of a error on their website. Dell is big enough that the initial orders slipped through. I sold the laptop within 24hrs for $1500 and didn't feel bad about it one bit. At the time I just thought it was a really good deal and jumped on it. I would have done the same with this if I saw it on time.

sponsored links

5,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
Refurb 24-105L $540
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.