Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 03 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 12:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Offer to shoot a wedding in Rome

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 03, 2010 12:28 |  #1

A collegue at work asked if I would be interested in shooting his wedding in Rome. I've never shot a destination wedding before. He is offering to pay for round trip plane tickets for myself and my assistant and one night for each of us at the hotel...but he wants me to shoot for free and an album at cost. I'm not making anything on this deal, but its a killer portfolio builder and a free ride to Rome. The traveler in me says yes, but the businessman in me says no. What would you guys do?

-Dave

-Dave

sponsored links
JoeyBowman
847 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 03, 2010 12:33 |  #2

helloagain36 wrote in post #11217935 (external link)
A collegue at work asked if I would be interested in shooting his wedding in Rome. I've never shot a destination wedding before. He is offering to pay for round trip plane tickets for myself and my assistant and one night for each of us at the hotel...but he wants me to shoot for free and an album at cost. I'm not making anything on this deal, but its a killer portfolio builder and a free ride to Rome. The traveler in me says yes, but the businessman in me says no. What would you guys do?

-Dave

If I was given this chance I would have to think about it. Though the traveler/tourist in me would want 2 or 3 nights, as one night isn't going to give you time to see anything besides the wedding. And if I was doing it for free I would not want to have to spend extra on more nights, not to mention food and stuff that you are obviously going to have to pay for.

Gear
My Website (external link),

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 03, 2010 12:56 |  #3

i would definately ask for 2 or 3 nights and so they cover your travel expences (food, taxi, etc)...when I did my first destination wedding they covered my flight, but I ended up spending over $300 in travel expences that they didn't cover...

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

dynamic03
341 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 03, 2010 12:59 |  #4

I would def. do it, spending couple of hundreds out of your pocket isn't so bad when you are going to Rome for free! So enjoy the wedding and then enjoy Rome. You don't get opportunities like this everyday.

Canon 5D Mark II | 135mm L | 24-70mm L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 50mm f/1.8
Wedding Photography (external link)
Photo Blog (external link)

helloagain36
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 03, 2010 13:25 as a reply to  @ dynamic03's post |  #5

OK Glad to hear most are in support, I think I can talk him into covering a few extra hotel nights. I was ok with everything until he said he wanted an album at cost...

Also I looked into ticket cost for a flight to Rome. Right now it looks like it is around $615USD per person round trip leaving from Philadelphia. My base package without an album is at $1800.00, he's paying 1300 for tickets and then getting his album super cheap too.

I could easily be letting my internal businessman ruin this opportunity...I mean of all places to be able to shoot a wedding, Rome has got to be close to the top of the list. As some have already said, I should probably just shut my mouth, take the deal, create some amazing images and enjoy the trip.

-Dave

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 03, 2010 13:42 |  #6

I'm with Joey 1 night is not enough 3 nights minimum and it would be a great experience.

tjames
261 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 03, 2010 14:18 as a reply to  @ ChuckingFluff's post |  #7

I would say even at a bare minimum would have to be at least 2 nights.. how could you possibly be expected to be able to perform well being jet lagged from a 12+ hour travel day?? Need at least some time to recharge yourself, plus the extra bonus of being able to scout out locations so they have those extra special money shots..

Gear List: Kodak Funsaver MAX Cameras, Epson Scanner, MS Paint & some Crayons

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 03, 2010 14:24 |  #8

helloagain36 wrote in post #11218231 (external link)
As some have already said, I should probably just shut my mouth, take the deal, create some amazing images and enjoy the trip.

you'll definitely be able to create some amazing images, but i'm not sure how much you will "enjoy the trip". sure you'll get to see some new sites, but you'll be working, you know? you'll want to stay at least 2-3 nights just to cover the job, that's not really even sight-seeing imho. if you've never been there, i don't think you can't see a whole hell of a lot playing tourist in just a day or two after the event. but that's not to say it wouldn't be worth it, i loved rome (was there 4+months), but this would be a hard decision for me too.

it was good that you compared ticket prices to your rates too btw, puts it into perspective.
the album at cost makes it a harder sell personally. what is "at cost" anyway to him?
a-the cost to cover just the printing and not the effort that goes into it? b-"at cost" to me means, my hours and direct costs, but no profit.
sounds like he wants "a" which makes the whole trip cost you a lot of time/money.

just some of my thoughts, are you single btw? if i was single, this choice would be easier for me! :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

helloagain36
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 03, 2010 14:42 |  #9

bigarchi wrote in post #11218548 (external link)
you'll definitely be able to create some amazing images, but i'm not sure how much you will "enjoy the trip". sure you'll get to see some new sites, but you'll be working, you know? you'll want to stay at least 2-3 nights just to cover the job, that's not really even sight-seeing imho. if you've never been there, i don't think you can't see a whole hell of a lot playing tourist in just a day or two after the event. but that's not to say it wouldn't be worth it, i loved rome (was there 4+months), but this would be a hard decision for me too.

it was good that you compared ticket prices to your rates too btw, puts it into perspective.
the album at cost makes it a harder sell personally. what is "at cost" anyway to him?
a-the cost to cover just the printing and not the effort that goes into it? b-"at cost" to me means, my hours and direct costs, but no profit.
sounds like he wants "a" which makes the whole trip cost you a lot of time/money.

just some of my thoughts, are you single btw? if i was single, this choice would be easier for me! :)

Well, we talked it over and he is now willing to cover two nights at the hotel, night before and after the wedding. I can stay as long as I wish afterwards to do touristy things but then I am paying for the room on my own. The wedding is in late Feb and it looks like that might be during the off season, looks like it is about $150.00/night for a 4-5 star hotel, if my currency conversion is correct.

Not single, but my girlfiend is conveniently my assistant, so she will be coming along. :D

I think "at cost" to him definitely is pricing for the album direct from the printer excluding any design time.

-Dave

Eiro
Goldmember
1,355 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 03, 2010 14:46 |  #10

Take the trip. Add to your portfolio, enjoy the mini vaca with your girl. take some photos of the city and post em here after :D

Get out and shoot

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 03, 2010 14:57 as a reply to  @ bigarchi's post |  #11

No way I would do it under these terms.

From the client's point of view, this is a great deal for him. As you discovered, he would be getting you to travel all the way to Rome AND provide your photographic services for cheaper than he could if he was getting married in your backyard. Most photographers have additional travel rates they charge a client if the wedding is outside of some local travel radius. On top of all of this, your client would also get an album at a much lower price than your normal rate.

From your perspective you would be spending a significant amount of extra time to travel, photograph and edit the wedding, and provide an album design -- all for free. Actually a loss since you will incur a number of miscellaneous costs as part of the trip.

Ultimately it's up to you, but from a business standpoint I don't think it makes sense. If you think this is an acceptable trade for portfolio images however, then go for it. Just make sure you negotiate terms more favorable to you. I would start with food and lodging for more nights and would require him to purchase any prints or products at price, not cost.

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 03, 2010 15:23 |  #12

Enjoy Rome, I can't wait to see the pics.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 03, 2010 15:38 as a reply to  @ ChuckingFluff's post |  #13

I probably wouldn't do it under those terms either. Sounds to me like they are trying to nickel and dime you just because they are giving you the "opportunity" to shoot a wedding in Rome. Sure, it would be nice portfolio material, but in the end, how much is it going to pay off for you business wise in PA?

If you are looking for an opportunity to vacation in Rome then that's cool. Just make sure you keep the data from the wedding secure while you roam around Rome! ;)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 03, 2010 15:39 |  #14

helloagain36 wrote in post #11218675 (external link)
Not single, but my girlfiend is conveniently my assistant, so she will be coming along. :D

haha, that helps. mine is too :) - get her airfare covered too ;)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Eiro
Goldmember
1,355 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 03, 2010 15:46 |  #15

Don't get discouraged,everyones opinion is different. What do you have to lose if you do go ? Do you have a wedding lined up in the time period its happening or a shoot that will land you more $$ than the cost of the trip ? If the answer is no, so then why not ? I passed up a trip because of similar business outlook,( I would actually say it was more of a cockyness) to China last year. I was bitter after. I should have gone. Not only did the event take place in a very very gorgeous location,but the experience of traveling there and actually spending time sight seeing after a few hours of work was well worth it. If the opportunity was to come around again I would do it and not look back. Its not a burden, its just another wedding under your belt,another experience and possibility of more business as a result. Who knows, maybe you will meet a couple after that will see your Rome work and say, omg we want to hire you for our destination wedding in Paris :D or maybe Costa Rica. Look at it that way.

Get out and shoot

sponsored links

3,129 views & 0 likes for this thread
Offer to shoot a wedding in Rome
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.