Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 20:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CS5 non-student version - reliable vendors?

Quizzical_Squirrel
489 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 03, 2010 20:25 |  #1

I'd like to buy CS5 for a Mac but unfortunately have no means of qualifying, even indirectly, for the student edition so although I'm a raging, shouting and extremely bitter about it, I'm going to have to pay for the full price edition :)

I see Buy.com has it for $549 or thereabouts. I have no experience of this retailer at all - would I be foolish to buy it from there rather than from Adobe directly?

Or perhaps, is there an alternative reliable retailer who comes in under Adobe's price?

sponsored links
tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 03, 2010 20:31 |  #2

buy.com is legit I have purchased many things from them

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 20:50 |  #3

That's definitely a good price if it's an "official" Buy.com product. Amazon's official price is $660, which is more in line with Adobe pricing. I wonder why it's discounted like that at Buy.com? I have done business with them with no problems, I just wonder what the deal is?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 20:58 |  #4

I checked and it's not actually a Buy.com deal, it comes from an outfit called Dealsaleonline:

http://www.buy.com …2&sku=214680065​&buy=1&c=1 (external link)

I guess it's on the "list" for Buy.com, it's just interesting because their other vendors list it at similar to the Amazon price or more.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 03, 2010 22:11 |  #5

WHat do you want to buy, photoshop or a suite?

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 03, 2010 22:44 |  #6

CS5 is simply a revision level that adobe retools every now and then.

Basically, if you want to have a full range of photo editing, all you need is photoshop. But LR and photoshop is obviously more ideal because lightroom is streamlined and has things that photoshop just can't do in terms of smoothness of batch editing and how the LR library handles things (which IMO is MUCH better than PS for photo).

Lightroom + Photoshop will give you more capability than you know what to do with. Dont worry about purchasing a suite because you dont need things like Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects, etc... Just go for photoshop and save some money.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 23:10 |  #7

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #11221182 (external link)
I'm not clear on the workflow but think I just need Lightroom and Photoshop.
With my simple hobby needs, I can't see the benefit of Bridge etc but don't mind admitting that I could easily be wrong.

It's cool, Bridge comes as part of Photoshop -- it is the browser as well as a basic organizer and "front end" to numerous Photoshop utilities. It will be there, even if you never use it:)!

The Lightroom->Photoshop workflow can center around your Lightroom workflow, which many of us do (use Lightroom for all our basic processing and only open Photoshop for special needs), or, like some, you may find some of the Photoshop tools and capabilities to be important to your workflow. Some people use Lightroom for the Library tools and maybe or maybe not its other tools, and then use Photoshop for their developing.

Either way can work just fine, it's going to be finding out what works for you. I'd say it would be very much to your advantage to learn as much about each program, learn to get as much as you can out of Lightroom and at least learn the basics of Photoshop as thoroughly as possible, and you won't regret it and can make informed decisions about your workflow and processing needs.

Tony

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 23:32 |  #8

Hey, there are a lot of good knowledgeable people on here...and then goofoffs like me...

Tony

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 04, 2010 07:16 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #9

no means of qualifying, even indirectly, for the student edition

No family members in any kind of school...?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 04, 2010 14:34 |  #10

If I didnt already use my academic keys up Id have no problem buying the entire suite for people, but alas, I already bought 2 master suites and thats that... One for me, one for a friend.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2010 16:33 |  #11

LiberationFrequency wrote in post #11225040 (external link)
If I didnt already use my academic keys up Id have no problem buying the entire suite for people, but alas, I already bought 2 master suites and thats that... One for me, one for a friend.

Hmm, I don't want to bicker about this, and I'd suggest you not reply to this, but I believe passing an educational license off to a friend is a violation of the license. If you question that, rather than discuss it here, you might want to check with Adobe or ask on the Adobe users forum.

Tony

rcg
812 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 04, 2010 22:30 |  #12

Many vendors use the "honor" system for edu licensing... I'm just saying.

Rob
WebSite (external link)

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 04, 2010 23:36 |  #13

From my understanding, if the license is not for commercial purposes, all that matters is who registers it. He registered the software and its 100% fine - a school, who unfortunately is no longer ranked in the big ten due to recent losses in football (f u crimson tide), considers it fine too.

Academic licenses are just portals for expanded distribution. Im all for Adobe making money on their product, but there is no need to get anal about academic licenses because everyone I know that has used academic licenses goes to work where they have CS5 anyway, so it literally ended up not mattering who I gave the key to. Who buys Adobe Master suite and doesn't get into some form of job that has it anyway?

GL finding your copy - I own mine legit and it is a really good investment to be honest. The CS5 photoshop is a really mature product as it has been around years (catalyst and after effects, on the other hand, is not a mature product). You will be able to produce infinitely diverse styles of pictures for years to come so I believe it is worthwhile to buy legit.

SketchyUnicorns
Goldmember
1,284 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 04, 2010 23:46 |  #14

I get CS5 Master Collection for $100 with student/teacher discount

Canon 7D Mk2, Sony A7iii, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS mk1, Sigma 17-55mm f2.8, Tamron 28-75iii, a few flashes and many modifiers
SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

3,064 views & 0 likes for this thread
CS5 non-student version - reliable vendors?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.