Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 19:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bridge Cache-fast, Lightroom Cache-Sloooooow

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2010 19:02 |  #1

That pretty much sums it up. Both are on the same drive. What can I do to speed things up in LR. When I select a folder in LR it is terribly slow to show all my thumbnails (all are in the cache already).

Oh.... CS5/LR3.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 19:37 |  #2

A little tidbit that seems to have speeded things up for me is the cache that Bridge/Camera Raw uses is shared by Lightroom, and if you increase that cache substantially you can gain speed in LR. I don't have access to my LR/PS computer right now, but check your preferences in Bridge and you should be able to set the cache size in there somewhere, I just don't remember the details.

Aside from that, have you gone over your LR preview preferences? It may be in the Catalog preferences, again I'd need to check to be sure, but you can set the size of previews. There are a few things that can help...also, make sure you have plenty of spare disk space.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

bohdank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2010 19:51 |  #3

It seems that the cache for Bridge and Lightroom are separate.

Two Folders
Bridge 5 Cache 113,550 files
Lightroom Cache 17,885

I have no idea why Bridge has more files but they are .JPG's and are very small in size
LR files are named cachennnnnnn and are .dat files and they are huge (4meg compared to 128k or so for Bridge)

The number of files in LR's cache is pretty much the number of images I have imported into LR

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 03, 2010 20:04 |  #4

you are not alone http://forums.adobe.co​m …d/656635?start=​0&tstart=0 (external link)

I have the same problem with it being slow sometimes, I moved the files from the drobo to my other HD and that helped but its still slower than it used to be, some people say the new 3.3 release fixed it but it didnt fix it for me

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

bohdank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2010 20:15 |  #5

I have the cache(s) on a Drobo S, eSATA, also. Still, Bridge flies, LR is almost unworkable.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 20:42 |  #6

OK, I was mistaken about something -- try opening the Camera Raw Preferences out of Bridge. Check your Cache size -- by default it's pretty small. I raised mine to 8 Gb, but some people set theirs much larger. Try playing around and see if it helps -- supposedly Lightroom shares that space.

And, did you check your Preferences for the Previews? You will find them in the LR Catalog Preferences in the File Handling section. It sounds like you have 1:1 previews turned on, which can have an affect. You can choose different sizes and resolutions -- I have mine set to medium, and I discard 1:1 previews after 30 days.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

bohdank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2010 21:10 |  #7

I raised Bridge's cache size almost to the max, so that's not it. In LR I have Previews at Medium, Size 1024, Automatically discard 1:1 after 30 days.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 21:18 |  #8

Hmm, I don't know what else to suggest, although when you say you raised Bridge's cache size do you mean the Camera Raw cache in the Camera Raw Preferences? I believe they are different.

Tony

bohdank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2010 21:20 |  #9

Under the Cache tab.... the slider that goes from 10,000 to 500,000

Under Camera Raw cache I have it set to 120 gig. I'm using about 94 gigs now.

I just noticed something... Under Camera Raw Cache it's pointing to the Lightroom Cache. Under Preferences, Cache, to the Bridge Cash.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 03, 2010 21:27 |  #10

Sounds like LR is building huge 1:1 previews, and bridge is building smaller previews. Change that preference in Lightroom, dump the current cache, and rebuild. See how it is after that.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 21:31 |  #11

Hmm, I don't know if that would affect things or not, but I'm still curious as to why you are seeing 4 meg files in your LR cache -- at least to me that seems pretty huge for previews. I wonder -- if you checked in the LR users forum someone might have some answers, but Victoria Bampton, one of the mods there, is a POTN member -- I haven't seen any posts from her recently, but she runs a great site, LightroomQueen.com where among other things she has some good info on boosting performance -- you might check it out, as well as the users forum. You're not the only one who has encountered performance issues but it seems like a lot of people get these worked out.

Tony

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 03, 2010 21:35 |  #12

I tried Lightroom recently, that's what it did. If you turn on 1:1 previews, or full size previews, or something like that, it basically makes huge high res jpegs. I don't think bridge ever does that.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

bohdank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2010 21:38 |  #13

No, I have Standard Sized Previews turned on.

Another bit of info. Whereas Bridge shows the fully rendered thumbnails from the start, LR does not. It shows a thubnail, then the fully rendered one.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2010 21:39 |  #14

I wonder what would happen if you purged the cache and started over? I'm not sure what the "safe" way of doing that would be...

Tony

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 03, 2010 21:41 |  #15

If you have standard size previews turned on it shouldn't be making 4MB jpeg files. Like Tony say i'd try purging the cache and generating them for one folder again, and see if they're big or small. If they're 4MB or so change to the next preview size down.

sponsored links

5,694 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bridge Cache-fast, Lightroom Cache-Sloooooow
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.