Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 03 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 12:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Offer to shoot a wedding in Rome

JoeyBowman
847 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 03, 2010 16:33 as a reply to  @ post 11219074 |  #16

I personally think the newer terms are a little better, and knowing that assistant is also girlfriend the OP should have a great trip and get some great work in the process.

Gear
My Website (external link),

sponsored links
moeronn
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 03, 2010 17:15 |  #17

I think there is still some negotiating room left for you. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it under the current terms, but if you can improve the terms to your favor, then it's even better. You should have your paid expenses cover at least your base rate.

Still, I would have a tough time passing up such an opportunity. Definitely extend this trip into a real vacation of at least a week, if not more - maybe even promote your assistant from girlfriend to fiancee'. ;)

flickr (external link)

Mhappy
356 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 03, 2010 18:28 as a reply to  @ moeronn's post |  #18

tjames wrote in post #11218527 (external link)
I would say even at a bare minimum would have to be at least 2 nights.. how could you possibly be expected to be able to perform well being jet lagged from a 12+ hour travel day?? Need at least some time to recharge yourself, plus the extra bonus of being able to scout out locations so they have those extra special money shots..

+1

I think it's a win/win for the groom and loss of pay + out of pocket expense for you! I think you're better off (if the fare is the price you saw it as) pay for a trip for you and your gf for 3 or 4 nights in Rome with the profit from an actual PAID wedding.

50D / XT (backup) / 17-85mm / 24-70mm f/2.8 L / 50mm f/1.8 / 2- 430 EX Speedlite and a Fonger (I know most photogs hate it, but I like it!) / Everything else I use... I rent! ;-)a

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 03, 2010 18:31 |  #19

With these terms, absolutely not. If the wedding is more than 2 hours travel I require accommodation the night before and the night after. For international travel i'd want to be there more than 24 hours in advance, both to account for delays and to scout the area.

Doing it basically for free i'd require two more nights accommodation, but i'd pay my own expenses.

This is basically a week out of your life for no reward, other than flights. The wedding will be hectic, the processing and album will take a few days. Weddings are Hard Work.

A pro destination photographer would probably charge $5K plus expenses. He'll probably find a sucker to do it on his terms, try not to be that sucker.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

helloagain36
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 04, 2010 08:41 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #20

Alright all, we did some more negotiating this morning. After talking it over with numerous friends and listening to your opinions here I felt like the deal was definitely a bit skewed his way. So here is the newest.

-Round trip flights for both me and my girlfriend.
-2 R/T train tickets from Rome to Naples
-3 nights lodging paid
-food/drinks for 3 days
-I squashed the album at cost stuff, so they may just take the files and not get an album, or if they decide they want an album they will have to pay full price.

I found out more of the details as well, this is going to be a very small non-traditional wedding. 6 people total, B&G, Father of the groom, Mother of the bride and grooms sister and her husband. There is no reception, only a small cermony at a chapel in Rome and then they plan to just walk the streets afterwards, stop in some restaurants/bars and sightsee after the ceremony. Those will be my photo ops.

After those three days, my girlfriend and I will be staying for another 3 to enjoy ourselves a bit.

I feel much better about the new arrangement and that it is much more balanced and equal. If they decide to not buy an album, I am still not really making anything on this, but my out of pocket costs and editing/design time have been drastically decreased. For this being my first destination wedding, overall I am feeling pretty good about the arrangement.

-Dave

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 04, 2010 08:55 as a reply to  @ helloagain36's post |  #21

oh much better! well played, now i would jump all over that :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 04, 2010 09:30 as a reply to  @ bigarchi's post |  #22

Well done. Under the new terms and conditions + the fact that this sounds like an e-session on steroids, I think this will be a great opportunity for you. Enjoy the trip!

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 04, 2010 09:49 |  #23

Agree. Much, much better than the original terms and the revised one before this one.
Naples is wonderful too!

Good luck!!!

RobKirkwood
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 04, 2010 10:37 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #24

Not trying to rain on your parade, but a couple of things you may not have given any thought about are:- work visa and insurance.

Assuming you're normally resident outside Europe, you'll need a work visa to do this legally. Your other option is to take a risk and go to Italy as a "wedding guest (or tourist) who just happens to have a few cameras".

Check also that your equipment and public liability insurance will cover you - and bear in mind that the public liability part probably won't if you don't have the work visa.

As I said, not trying to dump on you having a great time - just pointing out something that has not been mentioned and that you miight not have considered.

Rob

L ­ A ­ Mac
350 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 04, 2010 15:25 |  #25

Lot's of good points here....

How much would it cost him if he hired a photographer from Rome; assistant, and get an album?

We just did something similar from San Diego to Manchester NH. Photography only; included shooting 2 receptions. They covered 3 days expenses and we extended the car rental for another week and drove to Ohio for a vacation.

$1450 Their cost for our expenses
$1100-1400 what we expect to net/cash for Prints, 1 album/2 companions, and a gallery wrap.
$5000-$6000 what she was quoted for a local photographer from Boston.

I would definitely parlay it into a vacation but don't give your work away. Find out what the local market rates are as a starting point.

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 04, 2010 15:39 |  #26

They should just hire a photographer over there. Way cheaper.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

lil_miss
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 04, 2010 22:44 |  #27

I think the possible future bookings you could get from it, could be beneficial too.. think of it as a marketing/advertising gig :)

How does he know what "cost" is on an album? :D just tell him your price

A bunch of Canon bits and pieces.

Blog (external link) :: Facebook (external link)

Mhappy
356 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 04, 2010 23:49 as a reply to  @ lil_miss's post |  #28

Arrivederci! Abbia divertimento e sia sicruro!! :D

50D / XT (backup) / 17-85mm / 24-70mm f/2.8 L / 50mm f/1.8 / 2- 430 EX Speedlite and a Fonger (I know most photogs hate it, but I like it!) / Everything else I use... I rent! ;-)a

fayebernoulli
26 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 06, 2010 00:37 |  #29

As a photographer starting out, I would totally jump at this chance if extra hotel nights were added (and by starting out I mean, the only wedding we've shot was our friends' wedding, and we were guests). However, based on your website, it doesn't seem like you're just starting out. Your negotiation sounds great though! Enjoy Rome...and don't forget to throw coins into the Trevi Fountain ;)

faye bernoulli photography
http://www.fayebernoul​li.com (external link)
Canon 7D | Canon Rebel XTi | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | Canon 70-200 f2.8
L | Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580EX II | Canon 430EX II Speedlite
Next up: another 7D body, Canon 50mm f1.2L or Canon 24-70mm f2.8
L

sponsored links

3,132 views & 0 likes for this thread
Offer to shoot a wedding in Rome
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.