Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CONUS Shipping only - Why?

IUnknown
738 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 03, 2010 12:09 |  #31

So, from what I am hearing, it's a US issue, whether that be laziness, UPS, Fedex or USPS...

I'd say its both. In my experience shipping to some countries can take a month (buyers always want the cheapest form of shipping). So you have to wait longer to see if the transaction gets screwed up. I've also been burned in the past, and other systems don't seem as reliable.
Its also laziness, I don't ship a lot and getting a quote on shipping seems problematic. I end up quoting the wrong amount, get to the PO and end up paying another $30 that I didn't plan on. If your not used to selling, why sign up for all the headaches when there is just as much as a demand locally?

Fiske | Film (external link)
5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | LEICA 50MM SUMMICRON-R F2 | Canon 135L | Elmoscope anamorphic lens | 430EX II

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 03, 2010 12:28 |  #32

landth wrote in post #11216311 (external link)
So, from what I am hearing, it's a US issue, whether that be laziness, UPS, Fedex or USPS...
Sounds odd, both Adorama and B&H have shipped to me without issue, in B&H's case items arrived within 48 hours on 2 occasions without expedited shipping being paid.
The example of a $400 lens growing to a $450 expense is probably about right, but misses the point, here the bloody lens starts at $600......(Though I get the fees bigpow, I may be prepared to pay them)

Businesses have incentive to sell to as many people as possible. A used seller is generally not trying to maximize profit, just convert an item into cash. It is different. I don't make any extra money if I have 3 people that want my lens because I only have one to sell.

Let's turn this around and I'll ask if you were selling a lens and had two buyers contact you, one from AUS and the other from the US. Who would you prefer to sell to?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 03, 2010 12:32 |  #33

danpass wrote in post #11216805 (external link)
I guess absolutely no one has used USPS Priority Int'l flat rate.

I did once, totally painless

Bingo...I always ask people to ship with USPS, and it's always been smooth and painless for everyone involved.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

ckckevin
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 03, 2010 21:22 |  #34

LowriderS10 wrote in post #11217957 (external link)
Bingo...I always ask people to ship with USPS, and it's always been smooth and painless for everyone involved.

usually is painless. But not unless it's the Canadian custom thing, then it may take about a month to arrive.

Kevin life= learning
500D, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 60 macro, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 8mm 3.5, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, Kenko SP300 1.4x, efs extension tubes, 580EX, and lens that i don't like

Guapo
547 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 03, 2010 21:54 |  #35

LowriderS10 wrote in post #11217957 (external link)

I am in the retail shipping business. We do not offer insurance on international mail, as we know that the likelyhood of being able to make good on a claim with USPS is next to impossible. If a customer needs insurance, it goes UPS, FedEX, or DHL.

On a personal sale, I'm only willing to ship USPS if the buyer takes on any and all responsibility for it arriving or not. The moment it gets handed to USPS, the sale is final.

In CONUS, I will ship via UPS or FedEx, as I know I can safely insure and track the package, with a much higher reliability rate. If you follow the carrier guidelines for packaging, claims are fairly painless.

It's simply about risk and responsibility.

- Steven
Canon 7D

Nifty Fifty - Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS - Canon 70-200 f2.8
L IS MkI - Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1 - Calumet Genesis 200 - misc

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 03, 2010 21:57 |  #36

tkbslc wrote in post #11215548 (external link)
Not to sound insensitive, but there is just no incentive for us sellers in the US to ship out of the country. There is generally plenty of interest in the items locally. And if I am going to end up with the same amount of money in my pocket, I am going to pick the route that does not involve filling out customs declarations and waiting to see if it makes it across the ocean (or border) without getting stuck in customs. Sure your country may have a great shipping system and lax import policies, but going across borders amplifies the risk, and again, for the same money I'd be making shipping to the next state.

This...

IUnknown wrote in post #11217840 (external link)
I'd say its both. In my experience shipping to some countries can take a month (buyers always want the cheapest form of shipping). So you have to wait longer to see if the transaction gets screwed up. I've also been burned in the past, and other systems don't seem as reliable.
Its also laziness, I don't ship a lot and getting a quote on shipping seems problematic. I end up quoting the wrong amount, get to the PO and end up paying another $30 that I didn't plan on. If your not used to selling, why sign up for all the headaches when there is just as much as a demand locally?

...and this.

I have changed my mind a few times and shipped international, and to be honest it always got there just fine without a hitch, but I have also underestimated the shipping charges multiple times and ended up putting out more money than I should have. I always absorbed the cost as I considered it my mistake, but I don't even want to take a chance anymore.

I'm sorry if this is viewed as lazy or uncooperative, and I certainly am sympathetic to your plights, but my experience is that it is a big hassle. Especially when I can get the same money without locally without the hassle or worry.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

landth
THREAD ­ STARTER
222 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 03, 2010 22:16 |  #37

For us we walk into the post office, pickup an express international freight satchel, declare it to be non DG (by signing once) and nominate a value, pick an insurance option, label it, seal and send. Given the feedback here my opinion of Australia Post which was already high is going through the roof.

tkbslc wrote in post #11217933 (external link)
Businesses have incentive to sell to as many people as possible. A used seller is generally not trying to maximize profit, just convert an item into cash. It is different. I don't make any extra money if I have 3 people that want my lens because I only have one to sell.

Let's turn this around and I'll ask if you were selling a lens and had two buyers contact you, one from AUS and the other from the US. Who would you prefer to sell to?

The one who paid me a fair price the fastest, assuming delivery costs are at the buyers cost.... On ebay I only deal through paypal and make every payment within 5 minutes of winning the auction, never had an issue. But, I have never sold anything there, I wasn't deliberately being critical, I was wondering why I was being excluded from buying...

photoguy6405 wrote in post #11220984 (external link)
This...

...and this.

I have changed my mind a few times and shipped international, and to be honest it always got there just fine without a hitch, but I have also underestimated the shipping charges multiple times and ended up putting out more money than I should have. I always absorbed the cost as I considered it my mistake, but I don't even want to take a chance anymore.

I'm sorry if this is viewed as lazy or uncooperative, and I certainly am sympathetic to your plights, but my experience is that it is a big hassle. Especially when I can get the same money without locally without the hassle or worry.

Just to clear up the "laziness" comment, in my head I was thinking "not worth the effort", not that the effort wouldn't be made, if that makes sense :)

Cheers, Len
Flickr (external link)

ckckevin
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 03, 2010 23:49 |  #38

I don't ship a lot and getting a quote on shipping seems problematic. I end up quoting the wrong amount, get to the PO and end up paying another $30 that I didn't plan on. If your not used to selling, why sign up for all the headaches when there is just as much as a demand locally?

that's true, after a few times, i'm quite accustom to know where and how much i'm paying for shipping, although there are still times that i misquote a shipping cost, but after i got a good feel of the shipping cost, i usually don't misquote by a large margin. I guess things gets better with experience, and if one is not accustom to the cost and process and don't want to mess with it, then i guess by all means don't do it. But sometimes, it's a good thing to get accustom to the shipping cost because when i'm the buyer, then i know whether someone is overcharging or undercharging for the shipping.

Kevin life= learning
500D, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 60 macro, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 8mm 3.5, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, Kenko SP300 1.4x, efs extension tubes, 580EX, and lens that i don't like

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 04, 2010 00:07 as a reply to  @ post 11217283 |  #39

Yeah it's a bit crappy that so many businesses don't ship outside of CONUS. But as mentioned, fair enough if your government asks for a bajillion forms to be filled out. I'd probably say no as well if I had to do that constantly.

Anyway, with the USD in an absolute mess right now, and the AUD doing so well, I'm happy to pay that bit extra to people who WILL send overseas via FedEx/DHL/UPS etc.

Gear

djentley
386 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 04, 2010 06:50 |  #40

Well, if this is the resident not-in-US thread, are the rebates on B+H gear avaliable outside the US?

I need some more Sandisk cards and B+H has them cheaper than anywhere (God I love our strong dollar) plus it is cheaper to get a lens bundled than shipping in a used one separately.

My 500px. (external link) I like action (external link) and volcanoes. (external link) Dragons (external link) and temples (external link) are fine, too!
I don't think the Earth revolves around me. It revolves around the Sun, which shines out of my ass.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2010 09:43 |  #41

yogestee wrote in post #11215505 (external link)
All the stuff I've had shipped to Laos has never been inspected.. The packages remained unopened as the supplier sent them..

Look, Laos is a rapidly developing country.. It's as poor as a church mouse and relies on foreign aid and investment just to survive.. 85% of the GDP is from foreign aid and investment.. There are many foreigners (like myself) working here.. The Lao government needs to incourage investment, foreign experts working here and the flow of foreign aid.. There is a huge ex-pat community here.. If the government made it difficult for foreingers to be here we would all pack up and go home..

BTW,, did I mention the local beer?? Second to none;)

So, you're saying you moved there because of the beer?

Well, I can think of worse reasons....

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 04, 2010 09:48 |  #42

20droger wrote in post #11223405 (external link)
So, you're saying you moved there because of the beer?

Well, I can think of worse reasons....

Did I mention the beautiful women??

;););)

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2010 10:01 |  #43

yogestee wrote in post #11223431 (external link)
Did I mention the beautiful women??

;););)

After enough of that beer, they're ALL beautiful!

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,328 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2010 11:29 |  #44

20droger wrote in post #11223515 (external link)
After enough of that beer, they're ALL beautiful!

Beer goggles!

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

MichSt
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 04, 2010 11:56 |  #45

tkbslc wrote in post #11215548 (external link)
Not to sound insensitive, but there is just no incentive for us sellers in the US to ship out of the country. There is generally plenty of interest in the items locally. And if I am going to end up with the same amount of money in my pocket, I am going to pick the route that does not involve filling out customs declarations and waiting to see if it makes it across the ocean (or border) without getting stuck in customs. Sure your country may have a great shipping system and lax import policies, but going across borders amplifies the risk, and again, for the same money I'd be making shipping to the next state.

Same reasoning here. Not worth ther risk and extra hassle to me to sell/ship international.

Mario.Q

Canon EOS R

sponsored links

7,031 views & 0 likes for this thread
CONUS Shipping only - Why?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.