Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 23:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cowboy Studios Strobe Softbox - STAY AWAY

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 04, 2010 08:48 |  #61

mickeyjuice wrote in post #11025813 (external link)
There's a reason they have had to hone their customer service...

LOL! bw!

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

sponsored links
pantherphotos
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 04, 2010 10:56 |  #62

mickeyjuice wrote in post #11029065 (external link)
Do the maths, and you'll find the ABs aren't really any cheaper than the Elinchrom D-Lites, even down here in Australia. Also look at the Genesis lights from B&H - they have Eli fittings so you're buying into a system you can expand.

I may have to. Thank you!

Eric
Canon EOS 1D MkIIn | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | 70 - 200 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.8 II | 2x YN560 flash
My Blog: http://pantherphotogra​phy.wordpress.com/ (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 04, 2010 10:58 |  #63

mickeyjuice wrote in post #11029065 (external link)
...look at the Genesis lights from B&H......

Just wanted to make a correction. The Genesis lights are sold by Calumet, not B&H. :cool:

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 04, 2010 13:48 |  #64
bannedPermanent ban

TMR Design wrote in post #11031311 (external link)
Just wanted to make a correction. The Genesis lights are sold by Calumet, not B&H. :cool:

Ahhh, apologies for that error. Now edited.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

ihaveat1i
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 04, 2010 13:48 |  #65

Here is an update, so its been over 2 month since this happened, I have called and emailed the company and CEO, and still no response, I contacted the BBB about them and this is what I got from them.

Its still pissing me off the careless attitude the ceo and the company is taking to this matter. I hope you will never buy ANYTHING from them!

Complaint ID#: 91159280
Business Name: Cowboy Studio

The Better Business Bureau has made several attempts to contact the business regarding the above referenced complaint. We regret to inform you that the company has not responded within the normal 22 day timeframe and accordingly we are closing the complaint as Unanswered.

The Better Business Bureau develops and maintains Reliability Report ratings on companies in our service area. This information is available to the public and is frequently used by potential customers. In the case of your complaint, the company's failure to promptly give attention to the matter will be reflected in the report we give to consumers about them.

If the company has contacted you in the interim, please notify the BBB immediately.

Sincerely,

Lee Stallings
Director of Complaint Resolution Department

Canon 7D, G11, 15-85, 28-135, and 50 1.4

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 04, 2010 22:08 |  #66

ihaveat1i wrote in post #11224781 (external link)
Its still pissing me off the careless attitude the ceo and the company is taking to this matter. I hope you will never buy ANYTHING from them!

I am still waiting for them to resolve my order. Fortunately, it worked out to my advantage because they messed up and sent a duplicate order. I have emailed a few times and asked for return shipping instructions and postage but have got nothing from them. I guess that means I get to keep it, right?

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 05, 2010 03:36 as a reply to  @ Old Coot's post |  #67

If you have no where else to turn then contact your State Department of Consumer Affairs not to be confused with the website where people simply rant in public. Basically the BBB is just a type of report card service for companies or consumers who want to review another company but it's mainly intended for B2B. Not very many consumers who buy products like Cowboy Studio are going to go searching the BBB anyway.

Also if they have UA labels on the product that smoked send a plea for UL to look into your case.

http://www.ul.com …tives/regulator​/contacts/ (external link)

There are many ways to skin a cat you just have to get creative. I would go so far as to drag the company into small claims court and invite the local media over to cover your story.

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 05, 2010 06:59 |  #68

Originally Posted by J Kacey View Post
Your local rental shop rents Bee's? Where do you live?
You can get them anywhere, you don't have to live in my neighborhood:

http://www.lensrentals​.com/rent/ligh...ien-bees-ab800 (external link)

http://aperturent.com …ts/49/Rent-AlienBees-B800 (external link)

http://www.borrowlense​s.com/product/abr800 (external link)

http://www.mediapeeps.​com/equipmentrental.ht​ml (external link)

http://www.archinalcam​erarepair.com/equipmen​trental.htm (external link)

http://www.dallascamer​a.com/files/LightingRe​ntal.pdf (external link)

Locally, depending on your account volume, they are less than $5 a day. No reason not to try before you buy.

If you ever sell them, you will get 90% of what you paid. It's crazy how much they go for used, might as well buy new with the 10% student discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyjuice View Post
There's a reason they have had to hone their customer service...

I've been saying that for a long time but typically when I voice that opinion I'm attacked by the alien sheep. Uh oh, I can see the flames coming.

I'm getting ready to head out for day two of another horse show. At the show yesterday, the on site pro was setting up their portable studio area. Noticed they are using B1600's to light their set. I stopped and talked to them, and asked about their experience with them. "They work, they are durable". And it looks like they have put them to the test....all banged up and scratched....and they keep working. Hmmmm....yet another pro that is using these lights. This is the fourth pro that I have run into this season using alienbees for on site location shoots. Maybe we don't hear these guys complaining about them, and running them down.....because they are busy making money with them, instead of hanging out on an internet forum putting them, and the company owner down. And calling the buyers of the brand "sheep" ??

I go back to my statements from earlier about buying a product: does it:

1. do the job ?
2. at a price I can live with ?
3. do they provide after sales parts and service ?

....apparently, the answer is "yes" to these guys and gals too.

I dunno....just sayin' .......

....Sorry, Rob, Mick, and Jerry.....your arguments are just not holding water anymore. It has become obvious to many here that all you want to do is talk trash about the company, it's owner and the products. From what I am seeing out here, the reality of the marketplace is different from your....uh...."perspec​tive"....

ps. speaking of "failures".....in our conversation....she said she was having to put one of the 1Dmark three bodies back in the bag for the weekend. Looks like the shutter is dying. She has just recently bought a 7D.
This is the third pro I've talked to this year that is using a 7D next to their one series bodies....ALL of them are loving the 7D, citing great high ISO performance and very good AF performance in the dim lighting of horse arenas.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 05, 2010 07:07 as a reply to  @ george m w's post |  #69

Hi George,

With regard to 'sheep'. I've never referred to buyers of the gear as sheep. The sheep are those that blindly listen to and follow Paul Buff as if he's the Messiah. They don't question him and somehow praise him and his efforts simply to defend their purchase and the concept of what he does. That's not to say that all buyers of the gear are sheep but there is a massive population of sheep that would follow Paul Buff off a cliff.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

g-money
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 05, 2010 07:16 |  #70

TMR Design wrote in post #11229049 (external link)
Hi George,

With regard to 'sheep'. I've never referred to buyers of the gear as sheep. The sheep are those that blindly listen to and follow Paul Buff as is he's the Messiah. They don't question him and somehow praise him and his efforts simply to defend their purchase and the concept of what he does. That's not to say that all buyers of the gear are sheep but there is a massive population of sheep that would follow Paul Buff off a cliff.

Yeah Rob, but guys at a horse show are using them so all your testing and opinion don't hold water now. ;)

Canon 6D X 2, Canon 5D, FUJI X100, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 24-70L VII, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Tokina 16-28 2.8, 580exII x2, Godox 850 X 2, 430ex

Website... [URL="http://www.gowen​sphotography.com"]Arkansas Wedding Photographerexternal link

J ­ Kacey
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 05, 2010 09:22 |  #71

george m w wrote in post #11229026 (external link)
Sorry, Rob, Mick, and Jerry.....your arguments are just not holding water anymore. It has become obvious to many here that all you want to do is talk trash about the company, it's owner and the products. From what I am seeing out here, the reality of the marketplace is different from your....uh...."perspec​tive"....

Going a little OT here ,George
You don't see the OP's flashes at the horse show too?

Kacey Enterprises (external link)

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 05, 2010 14:25 |  #72
bannedPermanent ban

George, I really think the current regime over at fredmiranda.com would suit you perfectly at the moment.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 05, 2010 15:26 |  #73

Old Coot wrote in post #11227337 (external link)
I am still waiting for them to resolve my order. Fortunately, it worked out to my advantage because they messed up and sent a duplicate order. I have emailed a few times and asked for return shipping instructions and postage but have got nothing from them. I guess that means I get to keep it, right?

I wouldn't be too happy about that. What you have there are two Molotov cocktails.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 05, 2010 15:29 |  #74

FWIW, I might as well add my indirect experience with Cowboy Studios equipment to this thread so that it can further deter any potential buyers, if the previous posts haven't done so already.

I did a shoot once for a designer who was very pissed off about having to hire a second photographer (me) after the first shoot was a complete failure --she didn't elaborate but I knew she was pissed in her actions and in her words. When I got to the studio, while I was setting up, I asked her (the designer) what the Cowboy Studios gear was doing there in the corner and if they were hers. She said, "That belonged to the other photographer." I said nothing more. I'll let you guys piece the puzzle yourself. Lol.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

ihaveat1i
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 06, 2010 21:05 as a reply to  @ Seanzky's post |  #75

My cowboy studio equipment is also in the corner, its not in the trash because maybe I need them when I see them in court.

Canon 7D, G11, 15-85, 28-135, and 50 1.4

sponsored links

20,125 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cowboy Studios Strobe Softbox - STAY AWAY
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.