Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 03, 2010 07:44 |  #1501

It’s about 6 days since Ben talked to Gitzo about the spurious photo for the GT1542T on their web site. A check now reveals that the photo is still a 5 section pod.

Does anyone have any insight into why this subtle upscaling of the GT1541T came into being? It may be that Gitzo will continue to market both of them for the time being, but eventually rationalize on the one that proves to be more popular.

sponsored links
ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 03, 2010 12:11 |  #1502

Andyh77 wrote in post #11216558 (external link)
It’s about 6 days since Ben talked to Gitzo about the spurious photo for the GT1542T on their web site. A check now reveals that the photo is still a 5 section pod.

Does anyone have any insight into why this subtle upscaling of the GT1541T came into being? It may be that Gitzo will continue to market both of them for the time being, but eventually rationalize on the one that proves to be more popular.

No no, that wasnt me. That credit has to go to Russ61: LINK

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 03, 2010 17:31 |  #1503

My first post and already I’m spreading misinformation. My apologies to Russ61 and Ben.

Another choice that has recently been thrown into the mix is from RRS.

http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …&desc=TVC-24-Versa-Tripod (external link)

The TVC-24, while not a traveler in the sense of 180 degree folding legs, does fold down to 18.7 inches (with head removed). It is 50 percent heavier and 50 percent more costly compared to the 1541T, but the extra few inches in height, in a no-column mode, may appeal to some. I think my conclusion is that stooping has become more attractive.

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 04, 2010 03:44 as a reply to  @ Andyh77's post |  #1504

Here's Manfrotto USA reply from 10/27/10:

We apologize for the confusion, but the wrong picture is shown. I'll alert the webmaster and product managers immediately.

Regards,

Kevin V. Lackey
Technical Support Supervisor
+1 201.818.9500 x 239

I also noted that no change has yet been made. Personally, I'd make the change immediately....its a week later.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 04, 2010 17:17 |  #1505

Kirk ASC-5 Snap Collar for Markins Q3/Q3T

I just found out about this interesting little item and thought Id share it here with you all:

Kirk ASC-5 Snap Collar: LINK (external link)

Snap Collar for Markins Q3

A snap collar offers low-cost protection when you plan to carry your camera on your tripod with a lens attached. Now available for the Markins Q3, M10, and M20 ballheads, we also offer snap collars to fit the Kirk BH-1 and BH-3, and Arca Swiss B1 and Z. The collar prevents the ball from flopping to the side and damaging your equipment. They also help avoid undue stress on the locking mechanism, helping your ball head perform and last longer.

IMAGE: http://www.kirkphoto.com/images/ASC1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.kirkphoto.com/images/ASC1a.jpg

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Being that their website description only states this product is compatible with the Markins Q3, I inquired as to whether or not it would work with the Q3T. Heres how the conversation with Kirk went:

ME: Will the ASC-5 Snap Collar work with the Markins Q3T?
KIRK: Whats the T??
Thank you,
ME: The T stands for Traveler. Its a variation of the Markin Q3 that was developed by Markins to be more form fitting to the Gitzo Travelers series of tripod legs. Its been out for at least the 2+ years I have owned one and is actually on its second iteration.

Here is Markins page for it:
http://www.markinsamer​ica.com/MA5/Q3T.php (external link)

Here is a review I wrote on the combo:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=538298
KIRK: If its the same ball size as the Q3 then yes it will fit.

Thank you,

Not really impressed with their customer service skills nor product knowledge. Alas Im left to guess that since both the Q3 and Q3T have a 38mm ball, the ASC-5 Snap Collar will work with the Q3T. Just would have preferred a bit more research on their behalf especially since they are designing and selling products for use with OTHER manufactures products.

UPDATE:
Its confirmed, tvphotog posted HERE that the snap collar works fine with the Q3T.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Andyh77
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 04, 2010 19:18 |  #1506

Like you I would be a bit apprehensive using it based of the feedback you got. It would not be much fun to find you had scored the ball on your Q3T because of a subtle dimension difference between the housings of the Q3 and Q3T.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 04, 2010 21:15 |  #1507

Andyh77 wrote in post #11226412 (external link)
Like you I would be a bit apprehensive using it based of the feedback you got. It would not be much fun to find you had scored the ball on your Q3T because of a subtle dimension difference between the housings of the Q3 and Q3T.

First of all, the collar is plastic; if anything will score anything, the ball will score the collar. Secondly if you look at the specs of the Q3 and the Q3t, they're identical. Third, Markins would have been foolish to have to design and mold two separate housings for a ballhead where the difference is only the panning base.

Last, my collar fits perfectly on my Q3t. You guys are overthinking a very effective tool.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 04, 2010 22:36 |  #1508

Why would I need that?

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 04, 2010 22:41 |  #1509

tvphotog wrote in post #11227014 (external link)
First of all, the collar is plastic; if anything will score anything, the ball will score the collar. Secondly if you look at the specs of the Q3 and the Q3t, they're identical. Third, Markins would have been foolish to have to design and mold two separate housings for a ballhead where the difference is only the panning base.

Last, my collar fits perfectly on my Q3t. You guys are overthinking a very effective tool.

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt talking the product down, I was merely commenting that I didnt really like how Kirk handled the situation more than anything. They werent THAT bad about it, I was just a little surprised. Or maybe Im just spoiled by how well RRS and Markins take care of things?

JohnJ80 wrote in post #11227506 (external link)
Why would I need that?

J.

Need? Probably wouldnt. But if you like/want/do carry your camera attached to the tripod with legs extended and over your shoulder, this little do-hicky will help prevent the possible ripping loose of the ballheads tightened down position (potentially ruining the ballhead) as youre camera rig is bouncing on your shoulder.

seb87
35 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 05, 2010 03:20 |  #1510

next week arrive mine , with the gh1789qr ballhead ( which i would change with the markins 3 traveler ) , i pay it 550€ incl shipping , ballhead and the notebook support...good ?

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 05, 2010 07:25 |  #1511

ben_r_ wrote in post #11227530 (external link)
Dont get me wrong, I wasnt talking the product down, I was merely commenting that I didnt really like how Kirk handled the situation more than anything. They werent THAT bad about it, I was just a little surprised. Or maybe Im just spoiled by how well RRS and Markins take care of things?

Need? Probably wouldnt. But if you like/want/do carry your camera attached to the tripod with legs extended and over your shoulder, this little do-hicky will help prevent the possible ripping loose of the ballheads tightened down position (potentially ruining the ballhead) as youre camera rig is bouncing on your shoulder.

Ok, then I don't need it. I don't EVER carry my camera that way. Had a bad experience like that once. That's why I have a QR lever clamp.

j.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Needsnow
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 05, 2010 09:46 |  #1512

This is a great, cheap (less than $20 delivered) tripod case with the legs in ready position and a RRS BH-30 on it. A perfect fit. http://www.ebags.com …/107925?product​id=1284115 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS R

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 05, 2010 12:14 |  #1513

Needsnow wrote in post #11229698 (external link)
This is a great, cheap (less than $20 delivered) tripod case with the legs in ready position and a RRS BH-30 on it. A perfect fit. http://www.ebags.com …/107925?product​id=1284115 (external link)

VERY cool! Thanks for posting this! Ill add it to the review as another option!

seb87
35 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 12, 2010 06:56 |  #1514

mine arrived today...

now i wanto to buy a good bag for it...

the gitzo GC1201T or others ?

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 12, 2010 11:26 |  #1515

seb87 wrote in post #11270636 (external link)
mine arrived today...

now i wanto to buy a good bag for it...

the gitzo GC1201T or others ?

I posted a link and image to a Case Logic option in the original review.

sponsored links

723,730 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.