Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what setting are you shooting in? Neutral, Faithful, etc?

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 06, 2010 12:32 |  #16

I shoot RAW and Faithful with increased sharpness and process in LR3 where the default thumbnail comes up as the picture style I have my camera set in.

I shoot a lot of portraits but have never liked the portrait camera style.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links
Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 06, 2010 13:03 as a reply to  @ Jannie's post |  #17

RAW here as well and probably because I am still in recovey from Zone System addiction I do a custom camera calibration, it make be feel better at the very least. My camera is probably set to something but I don't even know what that is as I don't fully trust the histogram (as useful a tool as it is but just not 100% accurate).

Neutral sounds good as I suspect my camera is not faithful, in any case, so why fool myself.

cfibanez
857 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 06, 2010 13:05 |  #18

Another RAW here.

5D4 | 7D2 | 11-24/4.0 L | 16-35/2.8 L III | 24/1.4 L II | 24-105/4.0 L IS | 40/2.8 STM | 85/1.2 L II | 100/2.8 L macro IS | 70-200/2.8 L IS II | 100-400 L IS II | 400/4.0 DO L II | 580EXII | EF 1.4x III | Gitzo monopod GM2541 | Gitzo tripod GT2541 | Really Right Stuff ball head & plates | B+W & Singh-Ray filters

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 06, 2010 13:09 |  #19

For JPEG, Standard, but in general, I am in RAW

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 06, 2010 13:20 |  #20

Raw/neutral as I've read that since the histogram is based on the jpeg previews that neutral will give you a more accurate histogram.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 06, 2010 13:24 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #21

RAW, with the camera presets adjusted so it opens in DPP with -2 on saturation and contrast using Faithful. Yes, its dull, but all the data is there to reawaken the image.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 06, 2010 15:26 |  #22

RAW, but to assits with viewing the picture on camera, I use faithull and sharpness set to 7. At least the LCD shows better detail to see if I achieved good focus. DPP will open the RAW file with these settings and the first impression is what counts for me.

DRH

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 06, 2010 17:39 as a reply to  @ David Ransley's post |  #23

As others have said, shooting RAW bypasses all the Picture Style settings as far as the image is concerned (although the selected style, white balance, etc. information is included in the file, it is not applied to the image). However, I spoke with Bruce Dorn ( http://www.usa.canon.c​om …&artistID=16&im​ageID=1624 (external link)) about this at a recent Canon seminar and he recommended using a Neutral picture style in order to see the truest representation of what the RAW file looks like on the LCD screen since this picture style will be applied to the embedded JPG that is shown on the LCD.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 06, 2010 17:43 |  #24

crn3371 wrote in post #11236018 (external link)
Raw/neutral as I've read that since the histogram is based on the jpeg previews that neutral will give you a more accurate histogram.

According to the Canon techs I've spoken with, the histogram is based on what is received at the sensor, regardless of whatever picture style is set or if you are shooting RAW, etc. You are correct that Neutral Picture Style will show the closest representation of what the RAW image actually looks like, but it does not influence the histogram display as far as I know.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

r31ncarnat3d
633 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 06, 2010 18:24 |  #25

RAW+JPEG on Standard with AWB, PP the correct White Balance afterwards.

@Quizzical_Squirrel: RAW isn't a "big bad" thing. Once you learn how to PP with RAW, you'll find that it's ten times easier than with JPEG. I used to think RAW was a big scary thing, and that I wouldn't be able to get my pictures from there, but I've since found that it just makes life much easier for me in Lightroom.

Canon 80D | Canon SL2 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART | Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 | Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 06, 2010 18:37 |  #26

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #11237222 (external link)
Hey Tgara, love your avatar - is is a birman?

Yeah, he's a Birman. Good eye!

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3467/4626013654_45cf7a2d54.jpg

Quizzy, you should start shooting RAW ASAP. I was like you when I got started, but after shooting RAW and seeing how many advantages it has, you'll be glad you switched.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

Riveredger
667 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 06, 2010 19:17 |  #27

RAW and Neutral. When I shoot JPEGs I use Neutral with +2 clicks on the default neutral sharpening.

I have a couple of good recipes saved based on Neutral in DPP (for RAW). Let me know if you want them.

Flickr Photostream (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 06, 2010 19:33 |  #28

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #11237384 (external link)
Tgara and r31ncarnat3d - I know you're both right, I'm just scared to take plunge in case it overwhelmes me but I'm going to start next week (like diets, resolutions always start on Monday!)

Tgara - I have a pair of birmans myself!

If you are looking at shooting Raw, do yourself a favor and install the Canon software, Digital Photo Professionsl (DPP) that comes with Canon DSLRs -- the Raw tools have some very cool features that are especially helpful to those beginning with Raw.

And, make sure you have the most up-to-date version of DPP -- they have added some things in recent months that increase its usefulness.

With DPP and Raw, you can "play" with Picture Styles to your heart's content, mess with all the settings, and you aren't locked in to anything until you are actually ready to convert to an image for use.

If you want to see some great examples of Raw shooting and processin "at work", check out our Raw Conversion thread:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=684360

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sue.t
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 07, 2010 09:58 |  #29

RAW & Faithful here. Also boosted the Saturation a bit so when then shot it viewed in DPP, the colours are, well, more saturated. This works for well for 95% of my shots.

In DPP, I sometimes switch to Standard or Landscape to boost colors one way or other.

-

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 07, 2010 10:28 |  #30

tgara wrote in post #11237088 (external link)
According to the Canon techs I've spoken with, the histogram is based on what is received at the sensor, regardless of whatever picture style is set or if you are shooting RAW, etc. You are correct that Neutral Picture Style will show the closest representation of what the RAW image actually looks like, but it does not influence the histogram display as far as I know.

The tech is wrong. He is only right if you are in Liveview and you have the live histogram showing.

Oh, I use Nuetral/Faithful to get a more accurate histogram but mostly for the (more accurate) blinkies. I need to shoot fast, in changing light, so exposure is VERY important to me.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

11,566 views & 0 likes for this thread
what setting are you shooting in? Neutral, Faithful, etc?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.