Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Water Logged

rFactor925
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2010 13:51 |  #1

Hello fellow pros/enthusiasts,

:cry:Today is not my day. Some helpful advice my ease my mind (for a moment anyway). I have a Canon 5D Mark II, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM lens and 580EX II Flash. All equipment is anywhere from 1-2 months old (purchased brand new). I slipped on a rock and fell in water. Components got wet for a brief second (nevertheless, they were wet). I immediately removed all batteries, open every possible compartment, and used forced hot air from car's A/C unit to blow dry as best I could (for approx 1.5 hours). I'm thinking of NOT putting batteries in these components for at least 5 days and hopefully my attempts to remove the water was successful. The lens still has water (as in condensation) in it. Is this a repairable issue or is it time for me to make funeral arrangements for my equipment? Any and all advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

rFactor925

sponsored links
flyinglines
31 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 07, 2010 13:58 |  #2

try putting the camera in a bag of rice cause the rice will absorb the moisture from it

Whippeticious
Goldmember
2,302 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 07, 2010 14:01 |  #3

Were you at the beach or a freshwater stream?

sbumps
473 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 07, 2010 14:03 |  #4

Yes will need to know freshwater or saltwater. If it is saltwater your day is going to get worse. If it is freshwater you may have a chance. Sorry for your luck and hope everything works out.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Nov 07, 2010 14:15 |  #5

Man, sorry to hear that. Welcome to POTN by the way.

I hate to say it, but no matter what the water was, your stuff is most likely damaged. The body may work again but if it does, it's lifetime will probably be diminished quite a bit.

The lens, is probably a goner.

Insurance by any chance?

Again, sorry for the misfortune, that sucks.

XFaega
168 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 07, 2010 14:17 as a reply to  @ sbumps's post |  #6

Do not put the stuff in bag of rice. I do electronic repairs and that doesn't do anything. It's just a gimmick. Anyway first you shouldn't have try drying the parts. Best thing to do is like you did get all batteries out. Second like you did open anything that will open. Last let it set for a few days and let gravity do it's thing. When you try to dry out the part at first it builds up residue from the water cause shortage and finally kill it. Quick drying doesn't allow enough time to dry. Good luck.

Canon EOS 5D MK II

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 07, 2010 14:26 |  #7

Give it about 2-3 days to dry in a cool low-humidity place. You did the right thing by taking the batteries out. I agree 100% with what the previous posters said: salt water, it may not work--fresh water, good chance it will--especially the body.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Nov 07, 2010 14:33 |  #8

flyinglines wrote in post #11241300 (external link)
try putting the camera in a bag of rice cause the rice will absorb the moisture from it

Silica Gel would be better

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

rFactor925
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2010 17:32 |  #9

Whippeticious wrote in post #11241314 (external link)
Were you at the beach or a freshwater stream?

Fresh water.

rFactor925
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2010 17:32 |  #10

flyinglines wrote in post #11241300 (external link)

Didn't think about that.

Thanks

rFactor925
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2010 17:36 |  #11

Todd Lambert wrote in post #11241378 (external link)
Man, sorry to hear that. Welcome to POTN by the way.

I hate to say it, but no matter what the water was, your stuff is most likely damaged. The body may work again but if it does, it's lifetime will probably be diminished quite a bit.

The lens, is probably a goner.

Insurance by any chance?

Again, sorry for the misfortune, that sucks.

Checking into my home policy. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks

rFactor925
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2010 17:39 |  #12

XFaega wrote in post #11241388 (external link)
Do not put the stuff in bag of rice. I do electronic repairs and that doesn't do anything. It's just a gimmick. Anyway first you shouldn't have try drying the parts. Best thing to do is like you did get all batteries out. Second like you did open anything that will open. Last let it set for a few days and let gravity do it's thing. When you try to dry out the part at first it builds up residue from the water cause shortage and finally kill it. Quick drying doesn't allow enough time to dry. Good luck.

Given the fact that I did attempt to "quick dry", does your professional experience view this as a done deal or is it salvagable?

Thanks

sas8888
835 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 07, 2010 17:54 |  #13

Fresh water you have a chance if it didn't short anything out. One the other hand it might have weakened connections that will give out later on down the road. Since its still new I would call canon and discuss with them what it would cost to have a look at your camera and lens. This might be the best way to make sure that your equipment is repaired back to new and would continue with the warranty. It might cost a little bit for this but you are assured of a working system.

Scott
gripped 5D MkII

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 07, 2010 18:01 |  #14

Wow sorry to hear.

Let it dry for a long time, longer than what you think is probably necessary - most people try it after a couple of days, but I'd go longer than that. Give it a couple of weeks. Think of a little pool of water sitting in a corner somewhere inside it, it's going to take a while to evaporate. Maybe give it a shake around after a couple of days, too, in case there are some larger pools of water inside.

I'd be inclined to go a little more aggressive with the lens, less electronics and you have fungus as a large concern.

Also I'd probably pull the flash apart. They're far less complex and not the hardest thing in the world to pull apart and put back together, that way you can dry it out properly and inspect - will also give you an idea of how bad the other items will be.

Good luck!

LudaChris
64 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 07, 2010 19:10 |  #15

Like another poster mentioned, forget the rice and get some silica gel packets to absorb the moisture.

Hope it works out for you.

[Insert Cool Camera Gear Here]

sponsored links

5,382 views & 0 likes for this thread
Water Logged
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.