Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 12:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WHAT am I doing wrong here part II? - Canon 7D.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,921 posts
Gallery: 1735 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 07, 2010 19:42 |  #16

So the ones in studio... were there strobes? OCF? Softboxes? Additional lighting?

7D may have more MP count, but that is only really good for printing larger (assuming you exposed properly) and for additional cropping if necessary. It doesn't miraculously make a photo any better. If you take the same exact photo at iso 200 with both the 7D and the 30D (as in you frame w/ the VF and same composition), but view them both at the same output size (say 1200x800), I'm sorry but you'll pretty much have the same exact photo.

The 7D will only excel over the 30D when you actually use it in situations where the 30D cannot handle.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
jaycky
Goldmember
2,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 07, 2010 19:43 |  #17

And what glass were you using?
The 7D is a great camera once you get to know the buttons so many little factors to ride on.

5DM2 /grip Lots Of L's
measurbating f-stops
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52633882@N07/ (external link)
http://about.me/jbmpho​tos (external link)
http://photobyfish.tum​blr.com/archive (external link)

r31ncarnat3d
633 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 07, 2010 19:44 |  #18

jaycky wrote in post #11243052 (external link)
And what glass were you using?
The 7D is a great camera once you get to know the buttons so many little factors to ride on.

According to him:

pixel_perfect wrote in post #11242975 (external link)
and my lenses are definitely not that great, i have a 28-135mm, 70-200, 50mm static, and an 18-35.

I'm not too hot about the 28-135mm myself, but I don't think any of those lenses are horrible and would be responsible for the pixelation he's talking about.

Canon 80D | Canon SL2 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART | Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 | Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC

pixel_perfect
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2010 19:50 as a reply to  @ post 11243028 |  #19

shot in .jpeg. and the fact that i own a flash would basically dismiss any offense people should take, i just prefer not to use it outside.

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 07, 2010 19:50 |  #20

It is true that this image is over-exposed and that degrades it...but...to answer OP's question another way...
Pixelization results from using a low quality level of resolution...either in-camera or compressed too much in the PC...
Do you have the above image in RAW.....?
A RAW file should be much higher quality, and if so how/how much did you compress/reduce the size for posting here?

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

r31ncarnat3d
633 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 07, 2010 19:52 |  #21

pixel_perfect wrote in post #11243097 (external link)
shot in .jpeg. and the fact that i own a flash would basically dismiss any offense people should take, i just prefer not to use it outside.

I think it's the "cheesy" line that got people :p

And I think the problem lies in JPEG. JPEG is a lossy compressed format, and furthermore, if you were to use one of the smaller JPEG file configurations, it would definitely give you the pixelation you see here. You should really consider shooting in RAW. Not only are the pictures lossless (no quality is loss, and you wouldn't get this pixelation), but it makes post-processing much easier.

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 07, 2010 19:54 |  #22

pixel_perfect wrote in post #11243097 (external link)

Okay...what level of JPEG is your in-camera Quality setting?

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 07, 2010 19:58 |  #23

So reading through this, I still don't think you answered where the focus point was. I won't bring up the issue with flash because clearly you're not used to it outside and the fact that other people shoot with natural light and get amazing results too. I think you're expecting a little too much though. Like someone else said, you picked out a tiny portion of an overexposed image.

I think what we're all trying to get at is that it's likely not the 7D's fault but user error. It happens. Just keep on shooting with it and things will get better as you get more comfortable with it. Good/better glass always helps but properly exposing an image would be a start. Hope this helps.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 07, 2010 20:04 |  #24

pixel_perfect wrote in post #11242975 (external link)
ok, here's the rest of my work:

http://bnphotography.n​et (external link)

i actually want the photo to look that way because i like the style. i hate the 'rules and regulations' of photography. i just want to know what i'm doing wrong, aside from your convictions about the light and 'cut off limbs'. believe it or not, I book clients who like the style of my photos.

and my lenses are definitely not that great, i have a 28-135mm, 70-200, 50mm static, and an 18-35. Would you recommend L series lenses for the 7D?

& i have a 580 EX II xternal flash but i don't like using it outside.

You might "Hate" the rules and regulations of photography, and it's a damned good thing that you do, because I don't know a photographer worth his salt who doesn't break the rules whenever he/she needs to. But there are a whole bunch of rules you need to learn to do that.

What you're saying is that you don't want to learn the rules you NEED to know before you can take the kind of pictures you want to by breaking those rules. That's the lazy man's way out, and it's a bit pointless coming to a forum like this and asking for advice, then arguing against it.

No-one here will tell you you HAVE to do any particular thing, but when people talk about their particular areas of expertise, and how it applies to the questions that YOU asked...take note! File it away for future reference, but don't talk to us about hating rules. We all hate the damn things, but we learn them anyway.

As for lenses...good lenses won't make any difference at all to your photography if you don't use them right....more damn rules???...but good glass will get you better results than bad glass...all other things being equal. Would I consider L glass for a 7D? You bet your life I would, because I have learnt, and am still learning, how to get the best out of my gear.

Just as a matter of interest, I still make mistakes and take really crappy pictures sometimes....because I'm still pushing the envelope.

By asking the questions you ask you show a commendable desire to learn...good on you. Make the most of it. :D

EDIT: I wrote that before I looked at your web site....most of it still stands, but all I can say is that you're doing some stunning work. Well done!

Growing old disgracefully!

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 07, 2010 20:07 |  #25

MP reason for 7D??

Flash outdoors cheesey??

Backlit subject and asking bout noise?

Popcorn pls

pixel_perfect
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2010 20:19 as a reply to  @ Down_Shift's post |  #26

the subject was not backlit in this photo- there was just sun on the trees behind them but they were in the shade.

& i listed the lenses i used. not sure where the focus point was, still getting used to the manual focus settings.

http://bnphotography.n​et (external link) >> theres my work so you know i'm not ALL bad.

r31ncarnat3d
633 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 07, 2010 20:21 |  #27

Well, you still didn't tell us what sort of JPEG settings you used. Was it the Large+Fine setting? Or was it something else? Choosing the wrong JPEG setting can definitely cause pixelation.

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 07, 2010 20:23 |  #28

pixel_perfect wrote in post #11243264 (external link)
the subject was not backlit in this photo- there was just sun on the trees behind them but they were in the shade.

& i listed the lenses i used. not sure where the focus point was, still getting used to the manual focus settings.

http://bnphotography.n​et (external link) >> theres my work so you know i'm not ALL bad.

its obvious you didnt use all of those lenses in a single shot ;) look in dpp it will show you where the focus point was

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 07, 2010 20:26 |  #29

pixel_perfect wrote in post #11243264 (external link)

That IS the definition of backlit...

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 07, 2010 20:42 |  #30

pixel_perfect wrote in post #11240757 (external link)
Okay, so since last time I posted this, I posted a non-edited photo that (I REALIZE) was poorly lit (and un-edited)... I'm going to try again, because I have the same problem with nearly every photo I take.

Here is the photo:
<full image goes here>

Here is detail at 100%:
<detail crop of eye>

I just don't think photos should look like this at 100%. Call it pixel-peeping, I call it wanting high-quality photos.

Canon 7D settings:
ISO 200, f/3.2 , 1/200 sec

I am determined to get to the bottom of this issue. I basically just need to know if I need to send this into canon or trade it in for a 5D2.

I will try to help, but I think that a bit more information would be helpful to me. I am assuming that you did some post processing on the image -- is this correct? If so, was the image shot in RAW mode? Also, it would be very useful to leave the EXIF and other metadata intact so that I and others could see more details about the shooting conditions and processing. I would also like to know what software you used for post processing.

One other thing that would be helpful is to describe the kind of assistance that you would like. Right now, it would appear that your request is a bit open ended since you asked, "What am I doing wrong ...". I see from post #4 that it is not a critique on composition and artistic merits which is fine since I was able to gather from the tone of your first post that you are concerned about a possible camera problem or perhaps something else technical.

Before going any further, I need to point out an important item that you overlooked when posting the images. The color profile of the first image (and presumably the second also) is your monitor profile (iMac). That means that most everybody viewing the image on the web will see one that has very drab colors unless they are using a color-aware browser. In this case, I am not even sure that using a color aware browser would help since the profile assigned to the image is not a standard image profile. Whenever posting an image on the web, the associated profile needs to be converted from whatever your working color space happens to be into the web default image profile, sRGB.

I took a closer look at the first image in Photoshop (PNG format) and was rather surprised by how much of the image I was able to recover from what appeared to be fully saturated. By doing nothing more than some basic tonal adjustments, the tonal and color quality of the image was greatly enhanced. I also applied a small amount of edge mask sharpening to counter some of the softness. If you are interested, I can post the edit that I did.

Based on my somewhat limited assessment, I will hazard to guess what sort of help you my be looking for.

• I would identify the most significant issue as exposure. The big problem with exposure in this image is the backlighting. The extremely bright background is causing much of the subject to be overexposed. More than that, the light that is falling on the subject is too harsh (that is, the dynamic range is too great for photographing people's faces). Things like reflectors and fill flash would help a lot. Personally, I like reflectors better because introducing flash into an outdoor lighting situation might make white balancing the image a bit more tricky and involve some compromises.
  • Without the benefit of more information, I will go on a limb and say that post processing is not being used to its greatest advantage in getting the most out of the image. This WAG is just based on what I was able to recover from the image.
  • You mentioned "pixelation" in post #4. I am not clear about what you are referring to since I do not see pixelation in the crop. Perhaps describing what you see would help me understand. I do see a bit of noise in the crop. If your post processing included boosting exposure or fill in the darker areas of the image, then noise will definitely be present.
  • To get to the heart of your concern, I doubt that you need to send the camera in to Canon for evaluation. If you are relatively new to DSLR photography, the issue might simply be getting up to speed on the 7D. The 7D is a rather complex camera and when it first came out, there were very many people who had upgraded from less complex cameras who found themselves way behind the power curve. I was one of them. I quickly found out that it was far more complex than my XTi.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

sponsored links

3,716 views & 0 likes for this thread
WHAT am I doing wrong here part II? - Canon 7D.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.