Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What should I do?

hb96tuner
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 07, 2010 22:41 |  #1

Okay, so being fairly new to world of digital camera's, I need some advice if wheter or not I should upgrade... or is it too early? I am still in the learning stage and getting more and more confortable with every shot.

I bought my T1i one year ago, and wondering if I should upgrade to a better camera yet (Thinking of the 60D)...or should I keep my T1i and keep learning on that? Earlier this week I visited my local camera shop and REALLY had to resist the impulse buy of a new 60D. But I don't want to spend a pile of money if it isn't going to benifit me quite yet.

What would the benifits be and how much better is the 60D than the T1i I have now? Or if I am going to upgrade than just say to hell with it and go all the way up to the 5D?

So many nice camera's and so many choices!!!

5D3 | 5D2 Gripped | S100 | 580EXII | EF70-200L IS II 2.8 | EF 24-105L | EF100-400L | EF 50 1.8| Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye | Pentax MX 35mm | Tefnon 75-300mm | Vivitar 28mm Wide angle | Magnicon 3x Teleconverter | Pentax AF-16 Flash | Asahi Opt Co. 50mm

sponsored links
stckciv
240 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 07, 2010 23:00 |  #2

Is there something the T1i is not doing for you?

There are always two people in every picture, the photographer and the viewer. ~Ansel Adams

hb96tuner
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 07, 2010 23:21 |  #3

stckciv wrote in post #11244170 (external link)
Is there something the T1i is not doing for you?

Not really, the T1i has been a great camera for me so far! Although the video mode hasn`t impressed me quite that much (but that is a whole new discussion). After looking at the 60D, there are a few features that I loved which my T1i does not have. Such as the top information window, and the ability to close the LCD screen. Which I currently do not use unless I am in video mode. However there is one item on the 60D which I DO NOT like...that is the left side selector knob! And also the fact that you have to depress the button in order to turn the knob....not a huge fan of that, but maybe it is something I would get use to.

Besides all that...I have a shopping disorder! I see it...I want it...I buy it...doesn`t matter if I need it or not!

So hard to resist that shinny new camera sitting in the showcase with all those buttons!

5D3 | 5D2 Gripped | S100 | 580EXII | EF70-200L IS II 2.8 | EF 24-105L | EF100-400L | EF 50 1.8| Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye | Pentax MX 35mm | Tefnon 75-300mm | Vivitar 28mm Wide angle | Magnicon 3x Teleconverter | Pentax AF-16 Flash | Asahi Opt Co. 50mm

Canon_For_Life
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 07, 2010 23:33 |  #4

^ Well In that case, why not just go for the 1D Mark IV :lol:

But in all seriousness, perhaps get your hands on a 60D and play around with it and see if it's worth it to you or not. That's the best way to make these decisions. I regret playing around with the 7D, It wont stay out of my thoughts and dreams!! It's haunting!! :lol:

I WILL have one soon :P

Mike,
7D, XTi,Canon 70-200 2.8L,Canon 17-40L
Full Gear List
MBPhotography (external link)

hb96tuner
THREAD ­ STARTER
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 08, 2010 00:05 |  #5

Canon_For_Life wrote in post #11244325 (external link)
^ Well In that case, why not just go for the 1D Mark IV :lol:

But in all seriousness, perhaps get your hands on a 60D and play around with it and see if it's worth it to you or not. That's the best way to make these decisions. I regret playing around with the 7D, It wont stay out of my thoughts and dreams!! It's haunting!! :lol:

I WILL have one soon :P

That would be a great idea, but unfortunatly I do not have that many friends that are into photoagraphy, and the ones who are...all have Nikons...played around with the Nikons a few times....thats why I bought a Canon!!!

Does the 7D have a video mode? I am thinking it doesn't but I could be wrong.
I'sn't it funny how a new camera can stick in your head and drive you crazy!

I think I am at the stage now...should I buy it? or Should I buy it? lol

Canon_For_Life
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 08, 2010 00:09 |  #6

Lol yeah it's a tough stage, and unfortunately I'm week.. As soon as I have the money I'll have the 7D :lol:

Yes actually the 7D does have a video mode, a very good one actually. The 7D is also ~$500-$600 more than the 60D. But is over all a better camera. The 60D does have some great features as well though.

Mike,
7D, XTi,Canon 70-200 2.8L,Canon 17-40L
Full Gear List
MBPhotography (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 08, 2010 00:11 |  #7

hb96tuner wrote in post #11244416 (external link)
That would be a great idea, but unfortunatly I do not have that many friends that are into photoagraphy, and the ones who are...all have Nikons...played around with the Nikons a few times....thats why I bought a Canon!!!

Does the 7D have a video mode? I am thinking it doesn't but I could be wrong.
I'sn't it funny how a new camera can stick in your head and drive you crazy!

I think I am at the stage now...should I buy it? or Should I buy it? lol

The 7D does have video, infact it is used for many professional video options. The show "No Reservations" featuring Anthony Bourdain comes to mind. It actually has more video features than the 5D2 or the T1i.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 08, 2010 00:14 |  #8

i would stick it out with the t1i. the money you would use to upgrade bodies could go into savings or something until you REALLY need a new camera or if an emergency comes up.

flickr (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 08, 2010 01:05 |  #9

For me, you answered your question when you said there isn't anything your current camera is not doing for you...stick with it, work on your skills and when your skills/needs surpass your camera...then get a new one...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Ryan7490
264 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 08, 2010 01:06 |  #10

T1i is a great camera. If anything maybe get another lens...

Nikon D610, 50 f/1.8, 70-300 VRII

(external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 08, 2010 01:31 as a reply to  @ Ryan7490's post |  #11

My opinion is that if you upgrade for the wrong reason (meaning: for no particular reason) then you might have a bit of buyer's remorse -- not because the 60D isn't a great camera, but because your current camera is also a very fine camera -- it just does not have all of the bells and whistles that the 60D does. The 18 MP sensor on the 60D enables you to capture greater resolution in images, but only if you have top quality lenses and you will only see much of the resolution difference if you either print very large images such as 13 X19 or save full size images for web viewing. If you have very good lenses and also "need" (a.k.a. want) some of the newer features on the 60D, then go for it. Otherwise, a cold shower might help.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2010 03:04 |  #12

From what you say I would stick with your present camera at the moment, when you feel you are restricted by it's capabilities then is the time to consider changing, not before.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 08, 2010 07:13 |  #13

Based on....

hb96tuner wrote in post #11244070 (external link)
What would the benifits be and how much better is the 60D than the T1i I have now? Or if I am going to upgrade than just say to hell with it and go all the way up to the 5D?

I would not upgrade.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 08, 2010 11:16 |  #14

egordon99 wrote in post #11245477 (external link)
Based on....

I would not upgrade.

Certainly not to a 60D.

David

David

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,290 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 08, 2010 11:21 |  #15

Until you can identify an area where your current camera is failing you, there is no need to upgrade. Its nice to have the latest features, but its doubtful that they would be essential to you. Once you feel like you are nailing the basics and getting the most out of your camera as it is, then upgrade to your hearts content. Too many people chase cameras in hope of finding something that will improve their cameras when its a lack of skills that are undermining them.

sponsored links

2,761 views & 0 likes for this thread
What should I do?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.