Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 07 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

American Kestrel and Mirlo Ecuatoriano

RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 07, 2010 22:39 |  #1

Friends,

On Friday my father (rpolitsr) and I made a bird-searching trip to test out the newly arrived 70-200 f4L. It was incredibly uneventful (just as when Jon 'the slayer of trolls' came and we went to the 'Ashintaco' ravine), not one bird to be found.

As we were leaving, my father made a joke about us not seeing any birds inside the ravine nor inside the woods, but that there were two standing on a high-voltage electrical turret. I was already driving and asked if they were 'good enough' for us to drive back into the parking lot, reassemble the equipment and he nodded. Well, two that looked like pigeons at a distance were actually (thanks to Dirby for their ID) American Kestrels or Sparrow Hawks.

Here's the first outing with the just-arrived 70-200 f4L (fantastic lens!):

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i221.photobucke​t.com …s_ParqueMetropo​litano.jpg (external link)

Later we drove into an inside-the-city park and, being able to get much, much closer to the birds, I was able to catch this Mirlo Ecuatoriano (no sure the proper name but looks like the Turdus Merula of Europe) on a branch:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i221.photobucke​t.com …/Mirlo_ParqueCa​rolina.jpg (external link)

After 'trying' to take pictures of birds, either standing still or flying, I'm absolutely impressed with the images one can find on this section of the forum. How you fellows do it (specially the in-flight pictures), is a mystery to me... I hope I'll be able to find some advice, pointers, tutorials, how-to's or anything that will help as it is quite more difficult than what I first anticipated.

Thanks as always for any pointers, critique and comment, just wanted to say hi here, hopefully some more images will be on their way with some of the local birds from Ecuador.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

kmunroe
Cream of the Crop
12,926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 08, 2010 02:45 |  #2

nice shots Rafa

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,264 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 08, 2010 06:03 |  #3

Rafa, you did very well to get those with 200mm. Our kestrels are usually too skittish to get that close.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Mil
Goldmember
4,369 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 08, 2010 11:28 |  #4

Nice!

Milan www.pbase.com/milv (external link)
Canon 6D, 7D
Canon (24-105L/4, 70-200L/4 IS, 500L/4 IS, 100/2.8 macro, TC 1.4), Sigma 24/1.8 macro, speedlites Canon 580EX & Metz 58 AF-2

RafaPolit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 08, 2010 11:45 |  #5

Thanks kmunroe, sparker1 and Mil for the comments.

I believe our Kestrels are skittish too Sparker :) ... but they knew they were save, as this was probably on a wire 80 to 100 feet above ground, and they know I don't have any wings :) ... The truth is I got really lucky! But I agree a 200mm may not be the best 'weapon' to shoot them... that is a heavily cropped image (it's not a 100% crop but very near). I am thinking about the Kenko 1.4 for a bit of extended reach, though I'm not sure if it's going to make much of a difference, especially when shooting birds :( . What do you friends think?

The good thing is the 70-200 has the ability to withstand heavily cropping without losing too much of the color and detail, which is one of the aspects of the lens I really like! I look forward to doing some more outings and see what I can find, and hopefully learning a bit from other people's experiences and the fantastic pictures shown in this forum.

Thanks again for the comments,
Rafa.

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,278 views & 0 likes for this thread
American Kestrel and Mirlo Ecuatoriano
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.