Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Nov 2010 (Monday) 10:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good lens for 1D around $400?

ziyius
407 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 08, 2010 10:24 |  #1

Any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate any. I got rid of my 18-55 , sold my Xs and now I need a zoom (or a prime) in the range of the 18-55 for less than $400. (New Camera is 1D mark II)

Thanks

Canon 1Ds Mark II
Canon 17-40 f/4 L Canon 85 f/1.8 Canon 70-200 f/4L 430EX I

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,162 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 08, 2010 10:35 |  #2

My first choice would be the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron which runs $499 new at Adorama and could probably be had for less on the used market:

http://www.adorama.com​/TM2875EOS.html (external link)

My second choice would be the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens which can be had rather inexpensively on the used market. However, this choice would be not quite as good as the Tamron...

BTW: The 18mm is a 28.8mm equivalent on a full frame camera so either of these choices with a 28mm short end would, on a full frame camera provide a slightly wider view than your kit lens at 18mm.

I would, however, suggest that you spend the extra hundred or so dollars and get the Tamron new because of Tamron's excellent long-term warranty.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

ziyius
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 08, 2010 10:37 |  #3

Thanks! Was not aware of the tamron I could probably get 28-135 with 430 Ex though for the price

Canon 1Ds Mark II
Canon 17-40 f/4 L Canon 85 f/1.8 Canon 70-200 f/4L 430EX I

monst0r
237 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 08, 2010 10:40 |  #4

RPCrowe wrote in post #11246417 (external link)
My first choice would be the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron which runs $499 new at Adorama and could probably be had for less on the used market:

http://www.adorama.com​/TM2875EOS.html (external link)

My second choice would be the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens which can be had rather inexpensively on the used market. However, this choice would be not quite as good as the Tamron...

BTW: The 18mm is a 28.8mm equivalent on a full frame camera so either of these choices with a 28mm short end would, on a full frame camera provide a slightly wider view than your kit lens at 18mm.

I would, however, suggest that you spend the extra hundred or so dollars and get the Tamron new because of Tamron's excellent long-term warranty.

Except that OP has a 1D, not a 1Ds, so that 28 is really 28 x 1.3 = ~36mm

If you can handle that FL on the wide end go for it. They don't make any special "normal" zooms for 1.3x

Gear List

midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 08, 2010 14:42 |  #5

i'd say either the tamron 28-75 already suggested or if you got lucky, the sigma 24-70 which should give you a bit more on the wide end.

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good lens for 1D around $400?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.