Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Nov 2010 (Monday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Twist in the 7D v. 5D II debate

Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 08, 2010 11:23 |  #16

sapearl wrote in post #11246571 (external link)
The AF system is nowhere near the horror that folks paint it to be...

^^ that's right! The center point is as good as any 7d af point. I've been alternating the 5d2 and 7d on the 300L and the AF speed is identical.(I track with 1 point in servo)

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

sponsored links
hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 08, 2010 11:30 |  #17

mikec13 wrote in post #11246128 (external link)
...as background I like to shoot my kids sports, landscapes, cityscapes and family pictures.

My Question - What things should I do to get the most out of my trial period? I have never had a full frame digital camera.

You should shoot as much of the things that you like to shoot, and anticipate that you will shoot, as you can. It would not make any sense to look for subjects where the 7D is stronger, e.g., motocross, to see if you can live with the 5D, unless that is something you anticipate that you will shoot... Your "background" is your answer.

BTW... I can't imagine that you won't be happy with the 5D.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 08, 2010 11:31 as a reply to  @ Drozz119's post |  #18

casaaviocar wrote in post #11246166 (external link)
I guess what I would do is shoot as much action (kids sports) possible to see if the 5DII will meet my needs in that area. That's the only "weakness" I can think of with the 5DII.

+1

I've had a 5Dii and finally settled on a 5D and 7D. The 7D does FPS and AF better than the 5Dii and they're IQ is a lot closer than people make it out to be. But the AF on the 5Dii isn't as bad as the doom and gloom people make IT out to be either. For me it's more of a response issue with the 5Dii than the AF speed. I can deal with using just the center point, I just want/need one body to have FPS and the 5Dii doesn't do that. 18mp -vs- 21mp isn't enough to really worry about IMHO. The other issue is FF. Most lenses exist on both formats, but if you like wide and fast (24L) then you're stuck NEEDED FF really. That's why I have a 5D honestly, just for my 24L....

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

LiquidRageVx23
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 08, 2010 12:13 |  #19

Thanks! this have been very helpful,I recently bough my very first L lens(17-40) and I'm going to be looking to sell my 7D. i can feel the crop! I really want to take advantage of my lenses.

Thanks

mikec13
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 08, 2010 12:59 as a reply to  @ LiquidRageVx23's post |  #20

Re my lens line up for Full frame- I think I am pretty good with the 70-200 and the 1.4 TC and my 24-105...although I am thinking about a UWA

Off to Vermont this weekend so I hope to try out some landscape shots!!!

5D Mk ii |Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Power Shot S95 /18-55mm IS | 24-105L IS | 70-200L IS f2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 85 f1.8 /Canon 17-40 L /430EX II
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/47889102@N04/ (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 08, 2010 13:10 |  #21

As people have said - focus on your kids and sports - that's the 5D's weak point.

It's possibly the best choice for landscapes, cityscapes except if you afford a 1Ds or want something small.
Sport is something that can be shot with it - but it's difficult - hence test on that if it's good enough for you to like.

Having said that, a crop sensor can also be used for landscapes...

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

CaptB412
208 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 08, 2010 15:52 |  #22

DetlevCM wrote in post #11247363 (external link)
As people have said - focus on your kids and sports - that's the 5D's weak point.

And it really isn't such a "weak" point. I just shot my daughter's soccer game (she is 9) with a 70-200 f4 and the 1.4 tc and had no issues with AF. Then again, my prior camera was the 50D which I had used to shoot kids sports for a few years. As with any camera, you have to learn to adapt your skills to get the most out of the camera.

5DS R | EOS-R | 5D Mk III | EOS-M5 | G.A.S. Addict | Many Lenses | Flashes |

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 08, 2010 15:58 |  #23

CaptB412 wrote in post #11248324 (external link)
And it really isn't such a "weak" point. I just shot my daughter's soccer game (she is 9) with a 70-200 f4 and the 1.4 tc and had no issues with AF. Then again, my prior camera was the 50D which I had used to shoot kids sports for a few years. As with any camera, you have to learn to adapt your skills to get the most out of the camera.

That's true :)
The centre point is one of the best Canon has ever made :)

But that's the key gripe with most people - only the centre AF point is cross type.

But if it has done the job for you then you'll be happy with it :)

I went to a 5D MK II from a 400D - I actually like a simple AF :D but then I don't tend to track stuff either.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Spaniard
424 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 08, 2010 16:14 |  #24

I'll stick to what you have now. Buy good glass and wait for 5DMKIII.

Derrick
Burn Money Project : Canon 5DMKII//24L MKII//50L//Speedlite 580 EXII.

VinnieJ
642 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 08, 2010 16:32 |  #25

Spaniard wrote in post #11248447 (external link)
I'll stick to what you have now. Buy good glass and wait for 5DMKIII.

+1

I think many are expecting a refresh next summer.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,424 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 08, 2010 16:46 |  #26

LiquidRageVx23 wrote in post #11247073 (external link)
Thanks! this have been very helpful,I recently bough my very first L lens(17-40) and I'm going to be looking to sell my 7D. i can feel the crop! I really want to take advantage of my lenses.

Thanks

You should have done some research before buying that 17-40 L lens.

I bought a 7D and already owned a great copy of the 17-40 L.

The 17-40 L didn't do well on the 7D. I tried a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 at the dealers, and bought it.

I was happy to find a buyer for the 17-40 L.

If the 17-40 L was wide enough for you on the 7D, there are wider lenses designed to do the job.

To each their own, I almost made the mistake of buying a 5DII. I now own two 7D's and a bunch of lenses to go with them.

usnameless
396 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 08, 2010 16:52 |  #27

Make sure you know the clicks on the shutter of the 5Dii before you pull the trigger...
You may not be the only one who get this offer from the store... ;)

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 08, 2010 16:53 |  #28

The 5D2 is a wonderful camera, if you don't want it to do to much. It will focus more or less accurately using he centre point, but it's outer focal points are more or less completely pointless, I wonder why Canon even bothered. I also find even that struggling in low light, so have been moving on given my needs.

The 7D, from handling my mate's, much like my 1D4, is a different ball game. You get what you want, but if you've become accustomed to FF, you'll spot what you miss shooting on a crop.

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

windpig
Chopped liver
14,869 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 08, 2010 17:45 |  #29

As others have said, shoot your kids soccer and see if it will keep up. I've got both bodies and the IQ of the 5DII is hands down better, period.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 08, 2010 17:46 |  #30

sapearl wrote in post #11246571 (external link)
Whoah - pretty major assumptions you're making there ;).

The AF system is nowhere near the horror that folks paint it to be, and as we've seen here in numerous posts AF technique and accuracy depend upon many factors. As for it being dated? Well, all tech is dated the moment it comes out of the gate but that doesn't mean it's bad.

+1 on this. I ocassionaly shoot motorsports and it's tracked perfectly every time I've been to the track. I was a little worried but that's from reading the multiple threads saying that it sucked at anything faster than a slow walking adult. I haven't tried the 7D so I gues I can't miss what I never had but the AF is more than enough for me. When the 5DIII comes out, I will pick it up but in the mean time the 5Dii fits the bill just fine.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

sponsored links

6,208 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Twist in the 7D v. 5D II debate
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.