Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 08 Nov 2010 (Monday) 08:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need a pocket SLR

MomTo2
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 08, 2010 08:12 |  #1

is there such a thing?

I'm so tired of carying around my 50D and desperately want a pocket camera but have avoided them because I can't stand how smaller digitals take forever to take the picture.

We are going to Disney world soon and I want to get great shots of my kids but REALLY don't want to lug around my 50D.

My only requirement really is that I want a camera that is like an SLR, it needs to take the pic when I push the button, not 5 seconds later. And, I need to fit it into ... my husbands pocket. Ü

www.jillchildsphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Eclipsed
275 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 08, 2010 09:09 |  #2

I do not know of a pocket sized camera that is that quick. I think all pocket sized cameras have contrast based AF which is fairly slow.

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera." - Anonymous
----
The Gear I have: EOS 50D // New!Tamron 17-50 non-VC
Next on list:Some macro prime, probably a 100mm.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 08, 2010 09:13 |  #3

I think you have to look at the Panasonic GF1 to really meet this performance need, although I'm sure some here will recommend the S95. The GF1, even with smallest pancake prime lens, is not truly pocketable in my estimation however. You will need to have your husband carry it in a pouch on his belt.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 08, 2010 10:26 as a reply to  @ mpix345's post |  #4

Any contrast-detect AF camera is going to be slower than a DSLR using phase-detect autofocus.

eyalg
583 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 08, 2010 13:28 as a reply to  @ egordon99's post |  #5

I believe the S95, pulled out of a belt pouch (one with a magnet, no velcro!) is much quicker to the hand than both a camera in a bag or a camera in a pocket.

My Digital Camera Guide - www.eyalg.com (external link)

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 08, 2010 20:27 |  #6

One of the tricks of film street shooting was to shoot with the lens set at hyperfocal distance. That meant you were ready to shoot instantly.

Can you use the programs on a quality P&S to do this?

I have a G11 Canon and a Pany P&S. I often set the Pany to focus at infinity (scenery mode); that's the only way I can get aircraft photos. (lots of them around, and I enjoy it.)

Just a thought. I see amazing photos here; best camera is the one you have with you. I often leave my dslr behind. Keep my G11 or Pany handy.

Best,

Dave

richarddd
207 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 09, 2010 07:24 |  #7

The Panasonic LX5 has a reputation as being a compact that focuses very quickly. It's not very fast on start-up though, so you may have to leave it on all the time.

Alas, two of the main advantages of DSLRs over compacts are the ability to shoot quickly and much higher image quality in low light. These are often important for taking pictures of kids.

fruminousbandersnatch.​blogspot.com (external link)

dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 09, 2010 07:34 |  #8

the lumix lx3 and lx5 are pretty good.

any small camera like that, though, has a tiny photosensor that makes a hell of a lot of noise at ISO 400 and above--but at the same time you get great DOF.

you may want to consider a micro 4/3rds evil camera with an electronic photosensor.

avigar
310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 09, 2010 08:49 |  #9

I think that the Canon G12 or Nikon P7000 would come close to DSLR picture quality.

eyalg
583 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 09, 2010 09:18 |  #10

In image quality alone - the S95, LX5, G12 and P7000 are similar for most people.
I must add that even though the S95 is the smallest of the bunch, it is not very quick.

My Digital Camera Guide - www.eyalg.com (external link)

MomTo2
THREAD ­ STARTER
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 09, 2010 16:21 as a reply to  @ eyalg's post |  #11

When taking snapshot of my kids, I don't much care for quality. I wont be enlarging the prints, they'll just be for scrapbook purposes. I'm not going to try to make portraits...they will just be snapshots.

I just want something quick. When I push the shutter button, I can't wait 5 seconds for the camera to take the pic- my kids will be long gone by then.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 09, 2010 16:27 |  #12

avigar wrote in post #11252327 (external link)
I think that the Canon G12 or Nikon P7000 would come close to DSLR picture quality.

Then unfortunately you are thinking incorrectly. For deep DOF, daylight shots the gap narrows, but there is still no contest.

Look, we all want a pocket DSLR, but they just don't exist. You think people actually prefer these giant cameras? No way! They are that big because they have to be to get the performance to the highest level.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

avigar
310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 09, 2010 16:34 |  #13

MomTo2 wrote in post #11254820 (external link)
I just want something quick. When I push the shutter button, I can't wait 5 seconds for the camera to take the pic- my kids will be long gone by then.

Then, I don't think a P&S will fit your requirements. No P&S camera will be as quick as a DSLR's.

MomTo2
THREAD ­ STARTER
429 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 09, 2010 21:00 |  #14

avigar wrote in post #11254882 (external link)
Then, I don't think a P&S will fit your requirements. No P&S camera will be as quick as a DSLR's.

Yeah, didn't think so... does anything come close? Like maybe 1 second instead of 5? :lol:

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 09, 2010 21:59 |  #15

If you prefocus with a half press, most name brand compacts have an imperceptible shutter lag. I think the $140 Panasonic Fh20 is listed at .006 seconds and the $150 Canon SD1300 is .011. Thats pretty much DSLR speeds. You will have a 2-3 seconds lag between shots, though. If you don't prefocus, then the camera has to focus after you hit the shutter and then you literally are about a second lag.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

3,814 views & 0 likes for this thread
need a pocket SLR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.