Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Nov 2010 (Monday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pocketwizards not working at a certain distance

grphx
724 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 08, 2010 09:27 |  #1

I was shooting last night and at the time I was using one off camera flash. The flash on the tripod with the pocket wizard was about 15 yards away from me, and if I walked away farther than that, it wouldn't trigger. Sometimes if I hit the test button it will work, but not always. I'd say it would work about 8/10 times it would work using the test button. The reliability would drop to like 4/10 times if I used my camera to set it off.

Is there a setting that I might have wrong that would cause the recetion to be bad? I put brand new batteries in it before the shoot, and this happened on all 3 of my triggers. I'm also using that pc-sync to hotshoe cord that you have to use with a Canon 50D and 430ex. I'm pretty sure they have a good connection. I might do some more testing later today but wanted to get some ideas of stuff I can try or test before I go home for the day.

Canon 50D, 6D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
www.jarcophoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 08, 2010 11:15 |  #2

I have the most success when the PW transmitter is in the hot shoe being fired from there. I get less than reliable results when plugged in with a syn cord which tells me the cord connection might be 'iffy'. Also, I know that in the PW manual they say higher reliability comes when the PWs antennae are all oriented the same way.... like all vertical, or all horizontal. I have not really tested this out, but it's a thought as well.

There are also environments where they may be less reliable, like if there is some electrical interference within a certain frequency.....

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 08, 2010 11:20 |  #3

How much juice was left in the batters? Was there anything around that could cause interference? How close was the PW connected to the flash, to the flash?

I put a flash and PW in a big industrial washing manchine and couldn't fire it from 3 feet away.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 08, 2010 15:13 |  #4

The best antennae orientation is for all units to point straight up. The worst is for both to be horizontal. Also high up off the ground is better than close to the ground. The closer the wizards are to big metal objects or some electronics the worse the success rate as well.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX

grphx
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 08, 2010 17:19 |  #5

Dermit wrote in post #11248103 (external link)
The best antennae orientation is for all units to point straight up. The worst is for both to be horizontal. Also high up off the ground is better than close to the ground. The closer the wizards are to big metal objects or some electronics the worse the success rate as well.

Hm it was near a huge metal storage bin. What is the typical range on a PW? I thought it was way more than I would need but might as well have it and not need...

Canon 50D, 6D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
www.jarcophoto.com (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 08, 2010 20:58 |  #6

PW+2s are like 1200'.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 09, 2010 07:15 |  #7

Supposed to be good for 1600 feet. I have triggered them from the sidelines of a football field all the way to the top of the media box on the opposite side of the field. No problem.

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 09, 2010 07:34 |  #8

tanny15 wrote in post #11250873 (external link)
Try to use long distance.....

Long distance mode is in the Multimax but not in the PW II. What is the OP using?

breadandbutter
520 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 09, 2010 07:57 |  #9

http://www.pocketwizar​d.com …rations/technol​ogy/range/ (external link)

It's a good day if I'm looking down at the grass and not up at the roots.
Kevin

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 09, 2010 08:22 |  #10

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #11250042 (external link)
PW+2s are like 1200'.

1600' is quote as the maximum range.

grphx wrote in post #11248847 (external link)
Hm it was near a huge metal storage bin. What is the typical range on a PW? I thought it was way more than I would need but might as well have it and not need...

The quoted maximum range is under absolutely perfect conditions. Face it, they're prone to interference. Did you read about the issue with the new Flex receivers they released not too long ago? How that Canon's 580EX II, one of the flashes it was specifically designed to work with, gave off so much interference that they were getting very bad ranges with the triggers and ended up sending out RF condoms for the flashes so that the triggers were usable?

Any number of things can cause interference, like metal objects and other radio devices.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

sponsored links

1,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pocketwizards not working at a certain distance
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.