Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Nov 2010 (Saturday) 18:12
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Would this hurt the industry more?"
Yes
50%
No
50%

28 voters, 28 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good idea/Bad idea?

drewandersonphoto
162 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 08, 2010 14:08 |  #16

I think you would become miserable in a very short period of time! Stick with the weddings who realize you do awesome work, respect it, and are willing to pay you for it. I think a better idea is to find a way to get paid more and shoot less. Not shoot more and get paid less!

-Megan-

Phoenix Arizona Wedding Photographer

sponsored links
ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 08, 2010 14:22 |  #17

If you have a super businessman to work with then theres no reason why you would have to do this. If you can sell and your photography is good then get yourself out there as a highend photog. If you really think about it you don't want to be at a wedding all day for $300 and you have to pay tax on it. Theres only so many you can do in a year unless your planning on hiring college students for $10/hour and over booking; ah it still seems like a headache.

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 08, 2010 21:42 |  #18

It's beginning more and more to seem like a headache, I agree. It was just one of those conversations that happened over a few beers and we were talking about new businesses and whatnot. I think I'm going to change my business model to allow some different kinds of business, but I don't think I'm going to shoot redneck weddings under a new business. I was thinking about opening up a studio and hiring some local mid-low end fresh out of college shooters and see where that goes.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 08, 2010 22:58 |  #19

Well keep thinking and running ideas through here. Ive done my share and received my "thats stupid" remarks. Keep on thinking and innovating.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 09, 2010 07:36 |  #20

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #11250662 (external link)
Well keep thinking and running ideas through here. Ive done my share and received my "thats stupid" remarks. Keep on thinking and innovating.

Way back in the day in a Physics class I questioned my professor when I noticed I had gotten the wrong answer on a test. After a back in forth argument in class he says, "well, you are the only one who got that question wrong. Are you saying that everybody else and me are wrong? Obviously, you don't have the right answer."

Well, just pissed me right off. So, I got up and said, "You know, at one point in time a whole bunch of stupid people thought the earth was flat until one smart person stood up and told them it was round. Can I come up to the board and explain my answer to the class?" Obviously, calling the professor and the rest of the class stupid probably wasn’t the smoothest of moves but…

After I did this... guess who was right? The only idiot who got the question wrong. Moral of the story? Even if all of us say it's a stupid idea... It just may not be. :)

There are quite a few million/billion dollar businesses that I’m aware of and probably hundreds more that I have no clue about that operate under different facades catering to different cliental. It can and does work. You just have to do it right.

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 09, 2010 13:38 as a reply to  @ post 11247071 |  #21

I don't know that it will hurt the industry since there are plenty of photographers out there already who are willing to photograph brides with ultra low budgets. It's just that now you would be throwing yourself into the mix with them.

From a business standpoint, I would never do this. I work hard to build my brand and would not want to associate it or myself with the very thing I am trying to differentiate against. It's not my ideal clientele and I would only be working against myself.

What do you say to a bride who is considering booking you but decides your prices are too high? Are you then going to refer her to someone else cheaper...specifically yourself? You don't want to change into bargain basement alter ego guy and try to get her to book from a completely different business or set of packages, do you? If so, you will completely devalue yourself as a photographer. And ultimately, especially as a wedding photographer, you are selling yourself more than you are the images. People will make the connection between the two businesses and will start wanting your standard quality work for the bargain prices.

Your best bet is to simply offer a very basic package under your existing business. Much less confusing for you and your clients.

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 09, 2010 13:54 |  #22

What you suggest is a common business model. Example: When Panasonic launched its first high-end DVD player, the retail cost was $1000 per unit. Knowing they could only capture a very small market selling DVD players at that price, they manufactured essentially the same product, packaged it a little differently and sold those units at a $300 price point capturing a major portion of the DVD consumer market.

The question is what are your business goals? Cater to the small percentage of high-end buyers, or capture market share keeping other players at bay?

Have a plan. Analyze it reguarly and be in position to adjust the plan to fit current market conditions. Good luck.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

sponsored links

2,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good idea/Bad idea?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.