Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 07:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D-Memory Card 266x 100x 133x?

deeps10
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2010 07:03 |  #1

Hi Everyone,

New member to the forums as I have just bought a Canon 7D. Please excuse any dumb questions that might seem quite obvious.

I am looking to purchase some compact flash cards for my camera. I can see different speed cards, with the higher speed meaning higher cost.

Could some one give me advice as to which speed memory card to buy? Or what is the minimum speed card to get. I will be capturing both still and video,

thanks!

sponsored links
bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 07, 2010 09:31 |  #2

A long as you don't shoot repeated high and long speed bursts that fill the cameras buffer, any of those will work fine. The difference will be in the time it will take pulling the images/videos off the cards and on to your compuer.

Someone said they were having problems with 133x, hence 100x cards would also give problems, recording video so you might want to ask for that, specifically.

I wouldn't get anything less than 133x. For the vast majority of shooters, they are perfectly adequate.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

deeps10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2010 11:11 |  #3

thanks for the reply bohdank

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 07, 2010 12:05 |  #4

If your going to buy some new cards take a look at Transcend. They are quite a bit cheaper than SANDISK, and are well respected by everyone that uses them.

Transcend 400X - 64 GB Compact Flash Memory Card TS64GCF400 $176.19 (external link)

Transcend 400X - 32 GB Compact Flash Card $79.59 (external link)

They will give you lots of room for shooting RAW, and at 4G for 10 minutes of video, they will let you take plenty of video as well.

I personnely use 5 of the 64G in my 7d, and have been using the Transcend cards in my 300D, 30D and 40D for years without any problems.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 07, 2010 12:09 |  #5

I use and also recommend Transcend. A mix of older 133x/266x/300x, in my 5DII and, now also, 7D.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Tony_A
777 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 07, 2010 14:49 |  #6

It seems that the cards get faster every couple of months. I personally use Lexar Professional 400X with no problems. I have always wondered though if the UDMA standard implimented in for example a 7D has a limit? in other words at what point will the cards get too fast for the current camera to take advantage of this additional speed, or is this not how it works?

www.AnthonyAgresta.com (external link)
Please 'like' my Facebook Page (external link)
7d Gripped | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | EF 24-70 f/2.8L | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | EF 100 f2.8L Macro | EF 50 f1.4 | EF 1.4X II | EF 2.0X II | 580ex II

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 07, 2010 14:55 |  #7

I have both Transcend 400x and Sandisk 30MB/s I am not sure what actual data rate 400x translates to, but it is faster than my Sandisk 30MB/s. My minimum would be one of those.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

spectre
825 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 07, 2010 22:17 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #8

I've been using Transcend 400X 16gb cards for standard shooting. I use the Delkin 625X 16gb card for times when I will do high speed shots and fill the buffer frequently.

To be honest, for the normal every day stuff I tried to create an error I was getting on my 30D with a couple of my Patriot 8gb 266X cards and they gave me the same error on my 7d (telling me it was the card all along and not the camera) I tossed those and shot with a few more of my Patriot 266Xs and have not run into a problem at all but they are very very painfully slow when you hit the buffer. Shooting single shot I think these cards will be just fine in the 7D.

Todd M. Allen TacAir Photography (external link)
"you've never lived, until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know"
My Gear

kingdavidd
217 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 07, 2010 23:08 |  #9

i use a 16GB Sandisk 4 @ 45MB/s with my 7D

no issues with high speed shooting jpgs. i have my shutter pressed for about 3-4 seconds at a time and have not experience any lagtime..

haven't tried in raw though :O)

7D | EF 24-105L f4 | Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 | Tamron 18-250 f3.5-6.3 | 270 EX | Slik Sprint Pro ii | Gitzo GT1541 with Manfrotto Head 496rc2
wish list: 70-200 f2.8 IS ii

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 08, 2010 00:14 |  #10

With my 7D at highest resolution jpeg (which I use for certain sports applications) I noticed I can essentially do unlimited amount of time with 400x (have held down for several seconds without any delay). With my 30MB/s Sandisk I notice delay after a second or two.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

vel
47 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 08, 2010 05:22 |  #11

themadman wrote in post #11241580 (external link)
I am not sure what actual data rate 400x translates to, but it is faster than my Sandisk 30MB/s.

CF speeds are rated as multiples if 150KB/s.
So 1X = 150KB/s, with 1024 KB per MB.

So your 400X card would transfer at a theoretical maximum of ~58.6MB/s. quite close to twice your Sandisk's speed.

--
Canon 7D, 20D and other stuff.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 08, 2010 05:57 |  #12

For most people card speed makes little difference. Here are my conclusions after some experimentation (details here (external link)).

Before you splash out on a 60 or 90 MB/s card ask yourself some questions -

* Do I often fill my camera's buffer?
* Do I ever fail to get a shot because I'm waiting for the 'Busy' light to go off?
* Do I have a high-speed card reader?

If the answer to any of those questions is 'Yes' then a high-speed card may be for you. If the answers are all 'No' then you'd probably be wasting your money.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 09, 2010 00:51 |  #13

Since the OP has a 7D, I can pass on my experience. I have 4 16gb Transcend 400x cards and they work well in the 7D (and in the 1D MK3). I shot 1/2 of 8 volleyball games in one day (all in RAW format). That took up three of the cards. That night, I shot the state football championship game. I filled the 4th card and switched over to a 16gb Kingston 133x. I immediately just about came to a complete halt. I could shoot a burst of a running play, then have to wait and wait for the buffer to clear. Finally, I removed the card and switched over to a Sandisk Extreme III 8gb card to finish the game.

My 133x cards are going along for the ride just in case of emergency, but I don't plan to use them again unless I use them in the MK3. There is a big difference in 10mp sensor images produced by the MK3 and 18mp sensor size images produced by the 7D.

Bottom line, get a fast card or three and don't look back.

Edit: Hollis is right, you should get a high speed card reader for the faster cards. I bought a Lexar 800 Firewire CF card reader for my PC and a Lexar card reader for the express card slot on my laptop.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 09, 2010 16:40 |  #14

if you shoot in raw, i'd say go as fast as you can afford. in jpeg the buffer is deep enough that i wouldn't be so worried.

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

r.morales
Goldmember
2,296 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 09, 2010 21:02 |  #15

My 7D is on the way . Most of my cards are 133 or below . couple at 300 . I am planning on getting at least 2 300 at 16 gb .
I like the burst mode at parties and for birds , bugs and if windy flowers . I got the dreaded busy lite a lot on 7D - but that was camera buffer not card . I will probably go for transcend unless a good sale comes up on sandisk , delkin or lexar . Too many fakes on ebay to take a chance .

Gear List

sponsored links

5,600 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D-Memory Card 266x 100x 133x?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.