Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 10:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

What do you say to someone who wants to pay you less... much less?

colonel ­ klink
29 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 10, 2010 11:34 |  #16

You need a split personality. One is the photographer and the other is the sales/marketing manager. Have the sales guy ask the photographer guy what his rates are (put this in writting so the sales guy has it to look at). When in sales mode you have to go by the guidlines set by the photographer. The sales guy can say what the company charges and he can't make changes.

Many years ago a friend reconditioned Rancheros (the ford car/truck thing). When he got no response to an ad in the paper he raised the price in the ad. Can not tell you why it worked but he frequently sold on the second higher price ad.

If you don't place a value on what you do someone else will. And you probably won't like it.

5DMKII, 50D, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 50 1.8, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 4.0L 430EXII

Seanzky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2010 11:37 |  #17

tkbslc wrote in post #11259401 (external link)
It's obvious that all they did was figure out that $800/20 = $40. So they want to pay you $40 per person now.

I figured that much. Is $40 per person per sitting okay? Considering what I have to do and that three of the subjects are women, I'm hesitating. The first one I ever did, both women took up (no exaggerations) about 20-30 frames each. It was a lot of going back and forth and they just couldn't decide little things like "should I wear my jacket?" and various poses they wanted to try. It wasn't hell but it was irritating. Lol.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2010 11:39 |  #18

Seanzky wrote in post #11259444 (external link)
I figured that much. Is $40 per person per sitting okay? Considering what I have to do and that three of the subjects are women, I'm hesitating. The first one I ever did, both women took up (no exaggerations) about 20-30 frames each. It was a lot of going back and forth and they just couldn't decide little things like "should I wear my jacket?" and various poses they wanted to try. It wasn't hell but it was irritating. Lol.

Not if you are doing 1 person! I'd be explaining to the client that it does not work that way. It's the same reason that you can't buy 2 slices of bread for 10 cents. I mean if GM sold only 1 car it would cost $50,000,000. Stuff gets cheaper per unit the more you can produce at a time.

Also consider that if the last photographer was willing to do it for $250, they probably wouldn't be calling you.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Tobi.
469 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 10, 2010 11:40 |  #19

Seanzky wrote in post #11259427 (external link)
Driving through Manhattan traffic, valet parking in a garage and then walking with like six bags (since my hand truck sucks and is kind of broken) for 3-4 block is very discouraging.

How long will it take you? Maybe 30 mins driving each way, 30mins total walking and one hour for arriving at the location, getting to know the people there and setup, 15mins per portrait? That's a total of almost 4 hours.

Tobi

Seanzky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2010 11:48 |  #20

colonel klink wrote in post #11259432 (external link)
You need a split personality. One is the photographer and the other is the sales/marketing manager. Have the sales guy ask the photographer guy what his rates are (put this in writting so the sales guy has it to look at). When in sales mode you have to go by the guidlines set by the photographer. The sales guy can say what the company charges and he can't make changes.

Many years ago a friend reconditioned Rancheros (the ford car/truck thing). When he got no response to an ad in the paper he raised the price in the ad. Can not tell you why it worked but he frequently sold on the second higher price ad.

If you don't place a value on what you do someone else will. And you probably won't like it.

tkbslc wrote in post #11259451 (external link)
Not if you are doing 1 person! I'd be explaining to the client that it does not work that way. It's the same reason that you can't buy 2 slices of bread for 10 cents. I mean if GM sold only 1 car it would cost $50,000,000. Stuff gets cheaper per unit the more you can produce at a time.

Also consider that if the last photographer was willing to do it for $250, they probably wouldn't be calling you.

Both good advice, but I'm almost certain if I say no to this, they will hire the other guy instead. It seems to me that their budget is very important. But I know a firm of 60+ people can afford more than $250.

Tobi. wrote in post #11259456 (external link)
How long will it take you? Maybe 30 mins driving each way, 30mins total walking and one hour for arriving at the location, getting to know the people there and setup, 15mins per portrait? That's a total of almost 4 hours.

Tobi

Maybe less than 4 hours total on the shoot. Hmmm... what to do?

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
14,148 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Nov 10, 2010 11:54 as a reply to  @ Seanzky's post |  #21

Driving through Manhattan traffic, valet parking in a garage and then walking with like six bags (since my hand truck sucks and is kind of broken) for 3-4 block is very discouraging.

But remember, such difficulties don't figure into my small-town price. In the same circumstance as you, I would charge significantly more than I do.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,628 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 10, 2010 12:13 |  #22

Never do anything for free. Ever. If you don't respect your work, nobody else is going to either. Also, it's much easier to bring a price down a little bit from a high point than it is to come up from Zero and charge any price. - Something to think about.

IN NYC, i wouldn't go any less than 1k. That's just me. Everything is inflated there and they know this. So there are no surprises on either end.

Tobi.
469 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 10, 2010 12:14 |  #23

Seanzky wrote in post #11259510 (external link)
Maybe less than 4 hours total on the shoot. Hmmm... what to do?

+ Post processing
+ Packing it all up
+ Unpacking

Why don't you try to figure out the time it will take you as exact as you can? Then figure out your hourly rate and ask for that price.

Tobi

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 10, 2010 12:19 |  #24

Economy of scale, therefore prices aren't linear and just because they paid $800 for 20 does not mean it is $40/person. Would you drive and set up a shoot for $40 for only one person? There's certain minimal costs involved whether shooting one person or six. Perhaps you could charge by time rather than by the person as it's easier to justify. And what does the client want delivered, how many pics of each, how many scenes, prints, ...ect. $250 seems too low to me.

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 10, 2010 12:20 |  #25

$500 (first time only) or no go.

I'm reasonably sure that they don't let someone lowball them so badly on their invoices. Neither should you.

It's not your fault they didn't research the other photog more thoroughly before they hired him/her. It's not your fault that he/she did a poor enough job to not be rehired. Ergo, it's not your job to pick up the tab for the other person's failings...both the photog and the client.

SuperHuman21
Goldmember
2,219 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 10, 2010 12:28 |  #26

What Taylor said and the others. Then again, you never know where an opportunity may come from; perhaps you'll get more business from this. I personally would only do it if I knew that I won't lose anything from it and more than break even with gas and so forth.

D90, 105mm f/2.8, 18-105mm DX, D-Lite 2 it (3), 32" Photoflex softbox (2), Manfrotto 3021BN w/3047 head
Arthur
-Stones and Jewelry Photographer-

blocks
31 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 10, 2010 12:37 |  #27

Seanzky wrote in post #11259427 (external link)
I would probably do $500 then. I'm not trying to put myself on a pedestal here. A job is a job. But I was just wondering what you guys think.

All that hassle for $250, no way. Even $500 seems too low. If you do not need the experience then stick with your original quote.

mumbles wrote in post #11259657 (external link)
Never do anything for free. Ever. If you don't respect your work, nobody else is going to either. Also, it's much easier to bring a price down a little bit from a high point than it is to come up from Zero and charge any price. - Something to think about.

IN NYC, i wouldn't go any less than 1k. That's just me. Everything is inflated there and they know this. So there are no surprises on either end.

Why is it so bad to do free work if you are trying to gain experience? So, don't even shoot someone's b-day party in their backyard? I shoot portraits for friends and I may spend a day or two in post in addition to the couple hours of shooting but I don't charge them even if they use it for a commercial purpose. I figure it as I'm renting a model that allows me to experiment with various things so I feel it's an even trade for their time. Is that wrong? Also, I'm going to be shooting a relative's wedding in the next month but they hired pros so I'm just basically doing it for the experience. There is an expectation of pics from me so should I charge?

barkingspud
511 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 10, 2010 12:40 |  #28

Tell you what...I'll take the job for $250 and the money that could have been yours...

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
14,148 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Nov 10, 2010 12:47 |  #29

barkingspud wrote in post #11259802 (external link)
Tell you what...I'll take the job for $250 and the money that could have been yours...

So after you pay for airline tickets to NYC and a night in an NYC hotel, how much will you be in the hole?

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 10, 2010 12:48 |  #30

RDKirk wrote in post #11259837 (external link)
So after you pay for airline tickets to NYC and a night in an NYC hotel, how much will you be in the hole?

Quick estimate:

$2500. :D

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

7,150 views & 0 likes for this thread, 27 members have posted to it.
What do you say to someone who wants to pay you less... much less?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.