Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 20:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Starter camera for my daughter?

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 10, 2010 20:12 |  #1

Ever since I bought my T2i, my 14 yr old daughter has taken an interest in photography. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if she doesn't have a better eye than I do for scenic stuff! I'd like to get her something better than her little Canon P&S to expand upon her abilities, but as rough as she is on electronics, I'm hesitant to drop $400-$600 into a DSLR and glass.

I'm looking for something around the $200 mark. Does anyone know of a camera which is a good bridge for her until she gets a bit older? I found the kodak easyshare P880 which seems to be decent, but it has a max ISO of only 600, and is only 8MP. It has a hot shoe and shoots a RAW format which I think would be good for her education. Does anyone have experience with this or have a better recommendation?

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 10, 2010 20:19 |  #2

How about something like an older Rebel (XTi maybe)? They are good cameras and would probably fit her well. I'd encourage you to get a Canon dSLR so y'all can swap lenses. I'm betting that that would make it more fun for both of you.

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

LouKango
122 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 10, 2010 20:21 |  #3

It doesnt have hot shoe and not sure if it takes RAW but I had good experience with Fujifilm S1500. Now S1800 is out.

::EDIT:: good idea District.

Canon 60D w/ grip : Canon EF-S 15-85mm : Canon 70-200mm F/4L IS : Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 : Sigma 30mm 1.4 : Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM : 430EX II : 270EX : SLIK AMT Pro

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 10, 2010 20:21 as a reply to  @ District_History_Fan's post |  #4

Forgot to add... the wifey will have to increase your allowance now that you are doing this for the kid... :lol: Always use the tools at your disposal. :lol:

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 10, 2010 20:47 as a reply to  @ District_History_Fan's post |  #5

Double up on your daughters birthday/christmas and sink the $$ into an SLR of some description. If she does get into photography it will work out cheaper in the long run. Bonus features - backup body for you, and an extra person asking for lenses that you'll be able to use. can also sell it to the wife as spending quality time with your daughter (which it sounds like is part of the reason you want to upgrade). If she doesn't get into it - SLRs generally retain value better than a P+S.

Based on you talking about a t2i rather than 550D, you're in the states. Look into the canon loyalty program (search the forum - plenty of threads about it), if you have an old canon camera (even busted ones) you can trade it in with canon for a refurbished SLR. The cameras available change quite often.

You probably want to stick to the smaller camera bodies (rebel range) as the average female teenagers hands may not find the bigger cameras comfortable. Something like the Xs/Xsi might fit the bill.

As for the concern about the care side of it, I actually think the upgraded P+S will be treated rougher, as it's a more convenient size to have in pocket/purse, and more likely to get thrown/knocked around. The size of an SLR means most people will treat them with more care - even teenagers!!

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2010 21:06 |  #6

I started my photography 'life' with a Panasonic FZ18 bridge camera. It was fantastic. It had 18x optical zoom which equates to 900mm lens at 8MP and could be extended to 27 x at 3MP. As long as you had reasonable light the Leica lens produced really good quality pics from a huge range of magnification. I sold it to my brother in law but I regretted it straight away even though I replaced it with an XSi and 100-400.
I'm not sure what the current replacement is in the Panasonic range but my other brother in law has recently purchased a Nikon P90. That has a 24 x optical zoom ( 1200mm equivelent ) a 12MP sensor and a fold out screen. It produces good pictures from what I've seen, and is small and light enough for a young girl to hand hold no problem.
I know what you mean as my 12 year old niece likes using my cameras and she really has the eye for a good picture. These superzooms today take great macro's then zoom out to incredible lengths to capture a small bird in the distance. They are so versatile, its a nice present and within your price bracket too.....

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 10, 2010 21:08 |  #7

i would pick up an older camera like the canon rebel or if you could find a nikon if you dont mind buying lenses for 2 different cameras. i got my d70 and 18-70 lens for 200 flat off of CL. plenty of deals out there, old doesn't mean bad quality btw.

flickr (external link)

cicopo
Goldmember
3,492 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 10, 2010 21:28 |  #8

If you look at my gear list you'll see that I've owned a few & have some of the better now out there, and I'll stick with my recommendation no matter what. Find a gently used 20D or 30D with a kit lens or Sigma 18-200 (IS or OS [Sigma calls it OS] optional) and spend a little time teaching her the value of what she's now in charge of. Hopefully she'll get the message, plus learn a whole new hobby that can become a career.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

stevemacko
301 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 10, 2010 21:37 |  #9

I would go for an older Canon, as a few other posters have recommended. Even the old 10D would be a good starter camera, and they are available on Adorama for under $200 for the body... KEH also has a huge selection of bodies and lenses.

kfreels wrote in post #11262366 (external link)
Ever since I bought my T2i, my 14 yr old daughter has taken an interest in photography. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if she doesn't have a better eye than I do for scenic stuff! I'd like to get her something better than her little Canon P&S to expand upon her abilities, but as rough as she is on electronics, I'm hesitant to drop $400-$600 into a DSLR and glass.

I'm looking for something around the $200 mark. Does anyone know of a camera which is a good bridge for her until she gets a bit older? I found the kodak easyshare P880 which seems to be decent, but it has a max ISO of only 600, and is only 8MP. It has a hot shoe and shoots a RAW format which I think would be good for her education. Does anyone have experience with this or have a better recommendation?

A whole box of point and shoots, EOS 30D, EF 20-35 f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.8, Super Tak 135, 70-200 f/4 L

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 10, 2010 22:48 |  #10

I'll go slightly against the grain here and ask how you think she'll feel about carrying a DSLR around both from a weight/size viewpoint and from a "do I want to be seen with this" viewpoint. Kids, especially at that age, are fairly decisive about their 'image' and some may not want to deal with the hassles either physical or social. Others may embrace it of course. I'd think about a used G-series - Canon G7's in excellent condition for 265-ish at KEH.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 10, 2010 23:02 |  #11

I would skip the 10D as it cannot use EF-S mount lenses, go with a 20D =)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Fedxpress
649 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 10, 2010 23:05 |  #12

Get her a 1D mark 1, get one for less then 400 and there is no green auto buttons. That way she can learn from the start.
Fedxpress

1D Mark III, XTi, 16-35 f2.8L ,24-105 F4.0Lis, 28-135 3.5 is, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8IIL is,100-400, Kenko Pro300, 430EXII

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2010 23:09 |  #13

There's really not going to be anything better than her p&S unless you get something with a larger sensor. That means pretty much a used SLR is the only option at that price point. Getting another compact will just be the same tool she has in a different case and with different buttons.

I was going to suggest a m4/3 camera. They have refurb EP-1 + 14-42 kits at Adorama but at $370 they are a bit out of your budget.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

pwdieter
528 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 10, 2010 23:10 |  #14

kfreels wrote in post #11262366 (external link)
, but as rough as she is on electronics, I'm hesitant to drop $400-$600 into a DSLR and glass.

Maybe a square trade warranty (external link)?

Have fun
Paul

http://paul-dieter.artistwebsites.​com/ (external link)

Canon_For_Life
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 11, 2010 00:06 |  #15

Buy her a 1D Mark IV!! :D LOL, but seriously, I would get her perhaps a XTi and maybe a lens or two you don't already have, then share each others lenses.

I'm in a similar situation but opposite, IM the photographer and my DAD is getting into it (again, he used to always love shooting with his old A-1)

This is what we do, I used to use the XTi with my kit lens, tamron 28-75 and sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, then I upgraded to the 40D and 100-400 and 10-22 and he uses the XTi, kit lens and sigma, but we occasionally swap some stuff.

I find this a lot easier.

He will be getting upgraded to my 40D soon as I will be upgrading to a 7D as soon as the funds allow it :D

Good luck!

Mike,
7D, XTi,Canon 70-200 2.8L,Canon 17-40L
Full Gear List
MBPhotography (external link)

sponsored links

2,675 views & 0 likes for this thread
Starter camera for my daughter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.