Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 12 Nov 2006 (Sunday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Service Notice for Canon PowerShot models

Jon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 06, 2010 09:27 |  #166

Certainly worth a try; if you want to, you can always escalate it up the chain. But if the repair center isn't Canon-owned, I'd be less hopeful than if it is part of the Canon Corporation.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 06, 2010 09:29 |  #167

What is disgusting is how few people actually know about the service notification. I keep going to garage sales and finding A95, A80, etc for 1 dollar or 10 dollars because of this issue. Canon wont fix them all for me will they? I tell the owners and they just shrug "already got a new one"

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 06, 2010 09:53 |  #168

How "disgusting"? How are Canon supposed to disseminate information about recalls? Run daily newspaper ads?

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 06, 2010 09:55 |  #169

Did I blame Canon? Dont read into it more than what is typed out.

3canons
104 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 06, 2010 10:31 |  #170

peterbj7 wrote in post #10311768 (external link)
How "disgusting"? How are Canon supposed to disseminate information about recalls? Run daily newspaper ads?

I have registered 4 Canons total information. Where,when...I brought those cameras. Haven't they heard of email?

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 06, 2010 10:33 |  #171

3canons wrote in post #10311934 (external link)
I have registered 4 Canons total information. Where,when...I brought those cameras. Haven't they heard of email?

Ill send you thier addresses and you can ask them.

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jun 06, 2010 10:50 |  #172

ph2004 wrote in post #10310522 (external link)
Is the Powershot A1000 also added to the list of malfunctioning camera's ? I'm interested in this since I've read that especially in hot and humid environments this CCD sensor (?) problem occurs and I guess Indonesia is such a place.
I've been to a local Canon service center in Asia, and they told me that the problem was caused by the "CCD sensor" but since my warranty was already expired they didn't offer to repair my camera for free. At that time I didn't know that Canon repairs certain camera types for free so I didn't mention this to them.

What are my chances ?

I would say none.

As stated by Jon in thread one .. the models affected are :
"- Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)
*Models added as of Oct.31, 2006"

My Gear List  :p

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 06, 2010 12:31 |  #173

I have had three afflicted Canons repaired by Canon USA. Each was well out of warranty (one was almost five years old) and one I had bought used and told them. Nonetheless Canon repaired all without complaint. I've had similar exceptional service once from Canon in the UK. I've heard less eulogistic reports about Canon Canada, but I would certainly suggest you don't give up without trying. If you don't get cooperation locally then write to Canon in Japan.

It's worth reiterating that the fault arises with a sensor Canon bought from Sony, and that the same sensor is used in other makes of camera, including Sony themselves. AFAIK Canon is the only camera manufacturer that has stood by its products in this way. I know for certain (experience) that Sony have not the least interest in mending a camera (or any other product) once the warranty has expired.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

Jon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 06, 2010 12:36 |  #174

If your model is one of those affected by the problem (and the list referenced in the initial post is by no means final; people with newer models equally out of warranty have gotten the repair) a Canon Service Center will generally honor the Service Notice. Policies may vary from country to country, especially if the Canon service is outsourced in that country.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Turntablist
431 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 08, 2010 10:29 |  #175

my a95 started having this distortion a few days ago. contacted canon yesterday and sent it out today for repair. glad i found this thread i didn't know there was a service notice on it. thanks for posting it op! will update when i get more info. i asked the guy on the phone what will they do with the cam? he said that they would change the malfunctioning part. i was hoping to hear a different camera haha but, i'm ok with it being repaired free of charge.

pain is temporary. glory is forever. -Kru

lvph2
Goldmember
1,909 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 25, 2010 01:40 |  #176

I don't think I posted this in here, but a year or so ago I bought an A80 off ebay. Worked fine for awhile. Then I had this problem. Called canon and they paid for shipping both ways and the repair. Camera still works great to this day.

- Nikon D3300
- Nikon 35mm F/1.8
- Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4 Cont.
- Tokina 100mm F/2.8 MACRO

djohnfot
174 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 08, 2010 01:42 |  #177

Canon repaired my S1IS under the recall in August of this year. That's good customer service and makes me want to continue being a Canon customer.

My current Canons:
AE1 with winder A + 50mm 1.8 & 70-200 zoom
T90 outfit - all Canon
EOS Rebel outfit (EOS 300)
EOS Rebel G outfit (EOS 500)
ELPH (APS)
S1IS
A1100S

bigyin362
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 16, 2010 06:45 |  #178

Hi everybody. This is my first post. I recently had my A95 repaired under this scheme and was very pleased with the outcome. However, when I contacted Canon by email to notify them of the dead CCD problem, I also asked another question which they did not reply to so I thought perhaps you guys could help.
Just prior to the CCD problem occuring I noticed that when I was looking at the camera as folders in Windows, the "Fixed Storage" shows up as full and in red. It was still the same when the camera was returned. Can somebody explain this please.
Thanks.

Jon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 01, 2010 07:54 |  #179

UPDATE: Service Notice for Canon PowerShot models

Important Update
Canon USA has announced that it will no longer offer this repair free (external link) to certain previously-covered cameras which have reached their "End of Life". Even if your camera isn't one of the named models, examine it carefully for signs of the problem as they will no doubt be adding models to the "unsupported" list over time.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

Kirby
185 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 11, 2010 10:13 |  #180

As a result of info from this forum I sent my problematic A95 to Canon for service. Even though it was more than 5 years old they repaired the unit at no charge. They even paid shipping both ways and had it back within a week.

"It's the photographer's task to explore,photograph and share with others... that which they otherwise might miss" -William Neill

sponsored links

147,538 views & 0 likes for this thread
Service Notice for Canon PowerShot models
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.