Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What bag to complement Think Tank belt?

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,341 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 11, 2010 16:17 |  #1

So you've got a belt with 2-3 pouches to keep your most-needed lenses and accessories at your finger tips and your camera on a strap or sling. What do you use to get your stuff to/from a location? Backpack? Shoulder bag? Carry it all on the belt? What do you like?

sponsored links
psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 11, 2010 16:51 |  #2

I put everything in a locked pelican case 1610 chained to the car in the trunk. I don't know how strong pelican cases are (I saw a video where they drove an SUV on top of it), but It would be safer that a regular bag/backpack when you get rear ended.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

SPK64
146 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 11, 2010 18:27 |  #3

Domke F2 for most stuff
Pelican 1510 has the 300mm and lots of misc items I rarely use.

Canon 1dMKiii, 20d
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L
Canon TC 1.4x Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8, Tamron XR 28-75mm f/2.8, Canon 580ex
3 Einstiens, 2 64" PLMs, cybersyncs

yendikeno
359 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 13, 2010 22:01 as a reply to  @ SPK64's post |  #4

Pelican 1514.

Tealtele
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 14, 2010 01:03 |  #5

I was just about to post a similar thread lol. I'm thinking about the shapeshifter also by think tank to go with a belt system.

When you've got your gear out and on the belt, with cameras around your neck and little or nothing in the backpack, the shapeshifter compacts itself down to only 3 inches thick on your back. The downside to the bag is it's not an active shooter bag(can't quickly take things out and shoot with lenses already attached), but since the belt is the active shooting component I think this would be a great combo. You just do all the shooting, not hindered by the empty bag, and then stick everything in the bag when you're done.

I've always had this big tamrac bag that I call my turtle shell because even when it's empty it's a good 12 inches or thicker. So this is what I'm thinking my next bag combo will be.

mike_d
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,341 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 14, 2010 01:11 |  #6

I've thought about the shape shifter but from the pictures, it looks pretty tall and would interfere with belt pouches in the back. If you only carried a couple of pouches and kept them on your sides rather than back, it could work. Maybe the best solution would be to just keep everything in its pouch on the belt and stuff the whole thing into a non-camera backpack that has a big open compartment for transport. That or hire a valet. :lol:

Tealtele
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 14, 2010 01:34 |  #7

Yeah I've wondered about that. It might work with the thinner skin system better than the modular. Not sure, that was my one worry about it and why I was going to make my own thread asking that.

You could go with a pelican case and leave it in the car like others are suggesting, but I know there are situations where I want to travel by foot, unload into the belt pack, and shoot.

Rather than walk around with my camera around my neck especially in the cities, attracts more attention than necessary. Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems like a belt pack would be fairly easy to pickpocket in a crowded subway or something.

sponsored links

1,205 views & 0 likes for this thread
What bag to complement Think Tank belt?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.