Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 23:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Evaluating the IQ between a Tamron 28-75 versus a Canon 24-70

Gomboman
723 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 11, 2010 23:26 |  #1

I've owned a Tamron 28-75 for about 6 months or so. I just purchased a 24-70 a few days ago and will probably sell the Tamron. Before I sell the Tamron I want to evaluate or compare the IQ between these two lenses. I own a 1D Mark IIN by the way.

So far, I've taken a few comparison shots at different focal distances and apertures inside the house since it's been dark by the time I get home from work now. I've shot bowls of fruit, people, calendars etc. It's very difficult to distinguish which lens is actually better. Both are very similar but the 24-70 seems to be a little sharper towards the edges of the images. The colors also seem a little better with the 24-70 but it's very subjective shooting these types of images.

This weekend I want to take some comparison shots between the two lenses outdoors in real conditions. I'm not sure the best way to go about this. Does anyone have any reccomendations for me? Any helpful advise would be appreciated.

1D Mark III | 1D Mark IIN | 5D | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 1.4 TC II| 550EX | And some other stuff

sponsored links
Jamesino
483 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 11, 2010 23:38 |  #2

I own the Tamron 28-75 and have rented the Canon 24-70 on a few okkasions and I have a hard time telling the difference between the two when doing portraits.

afviper
179 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 11, 2010 23:46 |  #3

I am sure the Canon has advantages over the Tamron but i doubt that sharpness is one unless you like peeping pixels.

30D, 300D, Tokina 12-24mm, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 100mm F2.0, Sigma 70-300mm APO macro, Tokina 400mm F5.6, CZ Jenna 135mm f3.5, 18-55mm,

Mac
274 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 12, 2010 09:22 |  #4

I have the Tamron and have borrowed the Canon from a friend. IQ wise, they are extremely close. The big difference (and it is not THAT big) I found was the Canon was a little more saturated over my Tamron. Focus is slightly faster, and I do love the full time manual focus of the Canon. But I like the weight of the Tamron...:)

Sean
www.akamac.com (external link)

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 12, 2010 09:23 |  #5

F4 and above you won't see much difference.
At 2.8 you should definitely see some difference.

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 12, 2010 10:08 |  #6

I have owned both. So here's my two cents.

Canon
1. Has very good edge to edge sharpness
2. beautiful colors and bokeh
3. Nice design with the zoom going inward for the hood
4. overly distorted on the wide end for my taste.

Tamron
1. A full pound lighter
2. has good edge to edge sharpness
3. Colors and bokeh pretty good also
4. hood not so good

For me the Canon was a heft lens to carry around, the hood was so large that there were times when I might not take it. I've become more selective in my L fever.

I still think its a preference thing. I like the tamron and can live with the zoom ring going the other way. But the savings is weight is more important to me. I still get fantabulous shots.

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 12, 2010 12:22 |  #7

I own the Tamron...I think it was my second lens, after the 70-200 F4IS.

I have acquired and used a number of very good to stellar lenses since then. I still have the Tamron. Everything I have seen, comparisons, etc. between it and he Canon suggest it is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other as far as IQ.

I don't need faster focusing in this range of zoom, nor any "build" differences...my Tamron has served me just fine. So, considering the weight (my bag is more than heavy already) and the price difference, I have never been tempted to get the Canon. I don't expect anything will replace it anytime soon.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

jdang307
780 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 12, 2010 14:28 |  #8

How is the AF on the Tamron? Fast and silent?

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 12, 2010 15:29 |  #9

Fast is a relative word. I shoot concerts in AI Servo and it works for me. A running dog, towards/away from you. I doubt it would be fast enough

It's not silent but why are people so concerned about this. Do you shoot at funerals, in churches, 5 feet from your subject ? Other than the shooter, no one is going to hear it in typical conditions. I would be more concerned about shutter/mirror noise.

Oh, and I have used it in churches and nobody notices.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

jdang307
780 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 13, 2010 01:43 |  #10

I have a 35/2 so I'm not averse. But if given the choice, I like the way my 135L focuses, compared to the 35/2. So I ask.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,248 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 13, 2010 02:02 |  #11

Jamesino wrote in post #11269577 (external link)
I own the Tamron 28-75 and have rented the Canon 24-70 on a few okkasions and I have a hard time telling the difference between the two when doing portraits.

Really?

I recently thought about buying one to dedicate to my film bodies since I've heard some good things about it. I looked at five different copies being offered here and on FM. In every case the images were very soft from f/2.8 to f/4 which totally defeats the purpose of buying one.

Flickr (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 13, 2010 06:33 |  #12

My Tamron is stunning from 35mm or so and up, wide open, though I shoot on a crop body so the edges might not be great on FF. At 28mm I do see quite a bit of CA wide open, but just stopping down to F/3.2 fixes it reasonably well.

I love the hood/zoom design of the 24-70, but it's heavy and expensive without much of an IQ advantage so not for me.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 13, 2010 06:49 as a reply to  @ phreeky's post |  #13

Tried the Tamron for a bit. My feeling is that is was just 'okay'...nothing about it blew me away. My copy also suffered from zoom creep, where I always had to keep the zoom locked to prevent it from moving. Sold it and switched to the 24-70L. Its a bit heavier, but in my estimation, its that much better of a lens...colors, contrast, bokeh, USM. I also do a lot of outdoor landscape shooting, and the 77mm filter size is consistent with the majority of my other lenses...means less filters to carry around (and no step rings).

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

pasm365
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 13, 2010 08:40 as a reply to  @ argyle's post |  #14

Not sure if your camera has AF fine tune feature. If so, I'd suggest adjust focusing accuracy first before doing the comparison. Most online lens reviews haven't take focus accuracy into account, and their findings can be very misleading due to sample variations.

I'd expect 24-70 to be a more consistant performer than 28-75. I handled one before. 28-75 is about as cheap as a f/2.8 lens can be, so is the quality. Nice but nothing worth writing home about.

40D 70-200 f/4LIS

SexyRed
149 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2011 12:18 |  #15

This thread is great, great alternate to L on a budget.

sponsored links

2,795 views & 0 likes for this thread
Evaluating the IQ between a Tamron 28-75 versus a Canon 24-70
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.