Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 12 Nov 2010 (Friday) 12:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help. Am I being scammed or am i just sensative.

V-Wiz
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 12, 2010 12:27 |  #1

Need help from you guys, I put my MINT 70-200 F/4 L up for sale on Craigslist and got a reply from the guy the same day. Here is what he wrote.

"Thanks for you reply,i am located in Florida,i really need to buy this and send to my son schooling outside the state as a Birthday Gift, have been trying to buy this on eBay
but is very stressful buying on eBay and i will not want to miss out on this opportunity so am making you an offer of $630 to rap the sale off.I will be paying through PAYPAL because i have a verified account with paypal.So kindly get back with your paypal email address so i can make payment into your paypal account.Once payment clears,shipment will be handled by me through my personal FedEx account,so you don't have to pay for shipment.Get back to me if my approval is granted.I would like to see the pictures please.
Thanks"

Gripped 5D Mark II l 24-105 F/4 L l 70-200 F/4 L l Tokina 12-24 F4 l 50mm 1.8 l Sigma 600 Mirror l B+W KSM CPL l B+W 6stop ND filter l Hitech 0.6 GND l YN-468 Flash l Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC l Induro Tripod, Vanguard 250 Ballhead.

sponsored links
hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 12, 2010 12:30 |  #2

Scam, don't go for it.

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

MMakoto
69 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 12, 2010 12:33 |  #3

sounds like the buyer knows what he/she's doing. why would you call it a scam, did you already mail him the lens without receiving the funds?

5D III - 24-70L II - 70-200L II - Sigma 35mm 1.4 - 600ex-RT - Manfrotto 190xprob - Manfrotto 322RC2 - Kata 3n1-20 - Kata DR467i - Crumpler 7MDH - Lowepro Outback 200 - Canon 200DG x2

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 12, 2010 12:35 |  #4

Yes, how can you tell if it is a scam?

Surely if the money drops into your paypal account that should be ok?

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Forest
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 12, 2010 12:35 |  #5

Sounds like a scam.
My understanding is that if you were to agree and ship via the buyers personal FedEx account, you loose all ability to track the package and confirm delivery. Thus if he files a PayPal dispute saying that the lens was never delivered you would be unable to provide proof of delivery.

Forest
Flick (external link)r

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Nov 12, 2010 12:36 |  #6

Yeah total scam.

He'll end up emailing you a bogus paypal page that says the funds have been deposited. If you then check your real paypal page, there are no funds. They're hoping you won't actually login to paypal and notice.

I led one of these scammers on a wild goose chase for about a month... he emailed me "proof" of his payment and I emailed him back, "proof" of my shipment. He kept checking on the shipment and saying that he hadn't received my camera yet... I told him, good things come to those who wait... keep checking, it's on it's way. He kept at it for over a month... and finally gave up.

LOL

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 12, 2010 12:36 |  #7

I would not deal with this guy, he can buy it brand new for what he is offering you.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 12, 2010 12:38 |  #8

Forest wrote in post #11272274 (external link)
Sounds like a scam.
My understanding is that if you were to agree and ship via the buyers personal FedEx account, you loose all ability to track the package and confirm delivery. Thus if he files a PayPal dispute saying that the lens was never delivered you would be unable to provide proof of delivery.

Todd Lambert wrote in post #11272280 (external link)
Yeah total scam.

He'll end up emailing you a bogus paypal page that says the funds have been deposited. If you then check your real paypal page, there are no funds. They're hoping you won't actually login to paypal and notice.

I led one of these scammers on a wild goose chase for about a month... he emailed me "proof" of his payment and I emailed him back, "proof" of my shipment. He kept checking on the shipment and saying that he hadn't received my camera yet... I told him, good things come to those who wait... keep checking, it's on it's way. He kept at it for over a month... and finally gave up.

LOL

Ah, that explains it.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

V-Wiz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 12, 2010 12:38 |  #9

Ya just as i thought, Thanks guys. :)

Gripped 5D Mark II l 24-105 F/4 L l 70-200 F/4 L l Tokina 12-24 F4 l 50mm 1.8 l Sigma 600 Mirror l B+W KSM CPL l B+W 6stop ND filter l Hitech 0.6 GND l YN-468 Flash l Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC l Induro Tripod, Vanguard 250 Ballhead.

smacatl
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 12, 2010 12:47 |  #10

Don't ship, don't ship, Don't ship, don't ship, Don't ship, don't ship, Don't ship, don't ship, and finally DON"T SHIP!!!!

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 12, 2010 12:49 |  #11

Ya it's sounds legit.... Until he claims he never recieved it and paypal takes the money back! As a buyer has more protection then you do. Just saying just because it's his kids birthday and all who cares? you can look on Ebay right now a find tons of them!

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

aznkidd55
351 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 12, 2010 12:50 |  #12

Todd Lambert wrote in post #11272280 (external link)
Yeah total scam.

LOL

lol that is hilarious. i should do that next time.

but yes this is total scam. never have buyer use their shipping account. another scam similar to this is when the buyer pays u much more than what the item is worth through paypal, and tells u to wire the difference back to him.

80D | 10-18 | 50 | 85 | 100-400L II

smacatl
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 12, 2010 12:54 |  #13

Reposted from my comments in a previous thread regarding Craigslist:

Don't Ship, Don't Ship, Don't Ship, Don't Ship, and finally - DON'T SHIP!!!!

I have made hundreds of Craigslist transactions (buying and selling) and never had a problem. I have meet lots of great people and even had some repeat sales of photo gear to people that I met on CL. I am no expert, but here is the quick guide:

I don't even respond to email's that start out: "is your item still available?" I include my cell number to my response, and if I can't speak to a live person within 2 to 3 emails - move on to another buyer.

Craigslist is a cash marketplace - don't accept Credit cards, PayPal, Money Orders, Western Union, Escrow, Bank Transfers, IOU's, or anything else but good old genuine American Cash Dollars. Don't waste your time communicating with anyone who doesn't understand this concept.

Never meet at your home - don't give out home address or your home phone. I have a throwaway email account for CL. Don't use your email if it is yourfirstname.yourlast​name@whatever.com (external link). I would not use my work email, but that is up to you.

Pick a very public meeting spot. Starbucks is my favorite. Don't be afraid to walk if you feel uneasy - trust your Spidysense: if you hear a voice telling you something is not right, then listen to the voice.

If you are buying or selling a high ticket item, meet at your bank - (or the buyers bank), or the local Police Station. (If you are selling at a bank - deposit the money or get a Money Order - don't walk out with cash).

Finally, be safe. Nothing is worth your personal safety. A simple Google of Craigslist robberies will give you hundreds of hits. All most all, will be situations were the victim did not use common sense.

Good luck (and don't forget ---- DON'T SHIP!!!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You may want to read this entire thread (the post above was from a thread with a similar question as you are asking):

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=951506

Good luck with your sale!

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

V-Wiz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 12, 2010 12:55 |  #14

Lol. Thanks guys. Got it, WILL NOT SHIP.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 12, 2010 12:58 |  #15

this is scam and I'll tell you how:

guy pays you through his verified paypal account. he then sends you a shipping label for overnight delivery at his paypal verified address. You are happy and you drop it off at fedex location. Once lens is in fedex possession, guy changes the shipping address to some other place. he receives it and files for unauthorized transaction on his paypal. You are out of luck as lens is not delivered at paypal verified address.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

sponsored links

1,774 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help. Am I being scammed or am i just sensative.
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.