Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 12 Nov 2010 (Friday) 14:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

eBay - Part Rant...Part Question

LudaChris
64 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 13, 2010 13:38 |  #16

Patience is definitely the key on ebay. Most people just don't have it, and need to have everything RIGHT NOW.

[Insert Cool Camera Gear Here]

sponsored links
jaeapla
61 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 13, 2010 19:32 as a reply to  @ LudaChris's post |  #17

When Bing had cashback on eBay it was definitely worth it to buy new on eBay (at the "Buy It Now" price). You can generally find items for less from the internet sellers -- one will be the best price this time, another the next time on another item.

Also, I have had excellent luck on Craigslist, both buying and selling -- you have to be careful, but you always get your money in cash, and don't have to worry about anyone changing their minds after the purchase. On lenses, I always try to get original packaging, blank warranty card and copy of original purchase invoice. So far, so good after 40-50 transactions.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII w/BG-E11 l Canon EOS 7D w/BG-E7 l EF 24-105mm f/4L l EF 24-70mm f/2.8L l EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6L l EF 17-40mm F/4L l EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro l EF 50mm f/1.4 l EF 85mm f/1.8 l (2) 580EX II Flashes w/FlexTT5's

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 14, 2010 18:40 |  #18

ebay is not that safe when buying from overseas, a few counterfeit BG-E6 are showing up and being offered as genuine.

http://reviews.ebay.co​m …0QQugidZ1000000​0016963792 (external link)

generally also check the completed items on the item your searching for, if it has been relisted, it could have been a phantom bidder who won the auction.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 14, 2010 18:56 |  #19

LudaChris wrote in post #11277769 (external link)
Patience is definitely the key on ebay. Most people just don't have it, and need to have everything RIGHT NOW.

There is a lot of truth to this. However, my time also has value. If I have to spend hours chasing an auction to save $50 my time can often be spent more valuably elsewhere.

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

RUfloresphoto
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 31, 2010 17:29 |  #20

I just won a Canon BG-E6 for $185 plus $15 shipping. Not too bad $200 total for a near new one with box and warranty card. I agree on Ebay though. People pay WAY too much for stuff. Patience is key.

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 31, 2010 20:33 |  #21

RUfloresphoto wrote in post #11549173 (external link)
I just won a Canon BG-E6 for $185 plus $15 shipping. Not too bad $200 total for a near new one with box and warranty card. I agree on Ebay though. People pay WAY too much for stuff. Patience is key.

Until you find out you purchased a counterfeit....

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

Greg ­ Edge
118 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 01, 2011 11:26 |  #22

I have used ebay for 10 yrs or so. It used to be better to find bargains. I personally think the "stores" and "buy it now" killed the fun factor.

I have sold and bought many things in the 10 yrs. I have sold stuff for way more than I ever hoped for. I use FM to sell photo gear first. If it doesn't sell there then of to ebay it goes. I also use ebay to sell the things the I have collected in my cellar I no longer need or want. I sell them for what ever they get in an auction. I never liked using the "classifieds" or Craigslist. I do not want to field phone calls or emails constantly. Then people never show up to look at them and you are sitting there waiting on them to show. Plus I do not want people to use the ad to scope out what to rob later. Besides I can sell a whole bunch of $10 items relatively hassle free. I would never do that if I used a classified ad.

I also use Amazon to sell Books and DVDs I no longer want.

Bend ­ The ­ Light
Cream of the Crop
6,098 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 01, 2011 11:33 |  #23

I have bought bargains, and sold for god money on eBay, but then again, I never buy expensive stuff...I don't have the funds.

But what is striking is the fact that people WILL bid on almost anything, up to and beyond the RRP. not Camera related, but I looked at a set of children's DVDs the other day. The guy said anyone could buy them there and then for £35. I enquired as to the condition of them, then declined to buy (they were copies). But then, watching the auction run...people had bid beyond £50...he stated quite clearly he would sell for £35 in the listing.

People obviously get caught up in their need or desire to WIN...whatever the cost!

bkcorwin
157 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 01, 2011 11:54 |  #24

Addicted2EOS wrote in post #11272922 (external link)
I feel the same way about a lot of the used stuff here. For example, take the 85mm f/1.8 lens. A lot of people are selling them so I am not singling anyone out. Almost everyons is asking $330. They also want you to pay PayPal fees and either shipping or insurance fees. That's $345 (as an average). I bought it new for $367 from a authorized dealer. Free shipping, no sales tax, and 5% back from Discover. That makes the difference less than $10. That's a no brainer if you include the warranty factor.
Like all used sites, you have to be patient to find a deal. if you are not- than just buy new (or direct from a large source) and chalk the difference up to peace of mind.

I think this is a good example of what I see a lot in the buy and sell here. Admittedly there are good deals here, but so often I see pricing where the discount is so small that I can't see how its worth it to buy used?

tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 01, 2011 13:33 |  #25

I watch the market and go after ebay items. But there are some things that I won't buy used. The 85 1.8 is a good observation. New you can get it for like $20 more. I bought mine used for $325 but it still had 11 months of warranty on it from and authorized dealer.

I bought my 50 1.4 BNIB for $345. Most here go for like $325. The difference is worth it to me.

However, I got my 5d, grip, 8 batteries, used from ebay for $950 shipped and I thought it was a good deal as the condition of it is great. I know I could probably sell it for 1100ish if need be (which I won't). I bought my 7d refurbished and it has the same warranty as a new one.

I think all my other lenses were used except for my sigma 30 1.4. And I've sold them for about how much I've paid for them and got them all on ebay. You just have to wait for a good deal to show up.

Focused ­ Moments
282 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 01, 2011 19:02 |  #26

Celtic Tiger wrote in post #11272898 (external link)
Maybe everyone else has already figured this out and I'm just slow on the uptake. Does anyone ever get a good price on any eBay auction involving photo gear?

Case in point...I'm trying to snag a used BG-E6. B&H had a used one listed the other day for $179; but I missed it. I can get a new one for $239 free shipping from Amazon. I figure somewhere around $200 is a decent used price.

I'm folowing a couple of them on eBay...the last auction just ended at $227.00 (free shipping). Really? You'd buy used to save $12? I certainly wouldn't. I think the competitive nature of some bidders creeps in and makes eBay unworkable place to get a decent deal on an auction item.

Should I quit wasting my time following items on eBay (don't misunderstand I'm looking here and FM first) or does anyone find a reasonable price there from time to time?

Quit wasting your time ... most items end up over-bid ... and the items I've had from ebay are not in great condition compared to buying off the forum here. I'd rather pay the full price than buy off ebay. 5 years ago was a different story, but with such wide price knowledge because of the internet now, I find ebay either a waste of time, or a waste of money.

irispatch
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 01, 2011 19:23 |  #27

If you are patient and use a snipe service you can win on Ebay. I use the Auction Sniper for some things that I want a good shot at getting with out setting off a bidding war. I learned early on bid your max and the nibbles keep raising the bid till they beat you out. Ok most of what I buy on Ebay is antique glass and not camera gear though the same system applies. Both types you need to review the seller and look the photos over. As for camera gear... more caution is required and you really need to tell some of these sellers how to safely pack stuff. I can tell you horror stories about antique glass and ceramics shipped in nothing more than a padded envelope.

Canon 50D, Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 20-35mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS and Kenko 1.4 TC :lol:
Gitzo G2228 with a Markins Q3, and assorted gadgets. :)
The Iris Patch

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 02, 2011 03:30 |  #28

The only things i buy on Ebay anymore are seeds for my garden for which i can get killer deals and refurb or knockoff's from China when i'm looking for cheap. Most of the trusted refurb/used dealers in the US like Just Deals have moved on to greener pastures. In a few more years there wont be many US sellers left on Ebay due to Chinese sellers cutting out the middle man and flooding the market with cheap goods. I can do so much better as a seller on CL buying things at closeouts or garage sales and flipping them almost overnight to make a few bucks.

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 02, 2011 07:45 |  #29

I hate flea-bay, and really try to avoid it at all costs. I can count the things I've bought off flea-bay in the last 10 years on one hand (and still have room!). The one buying I had was horrible. Fortunately I got my money back, but it took a while.

I suppose I could unload some stuff I've got laying around (not photog. gear) on flea-bay, and make a few bucks, but I find it to be a major hassle.

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 02, 2011 15:23 |  #30

e-bay is for selling, not buying, when it comes to cameras and new-ish lenses. Good for MF lenses and good for some chinese knock off stuff like tripod plates, lens hoods, etc--great for them. Imho. I have over 60 positive feedback, 100% positive, and almost all is from selling...not a TON I know, but enough that I can say:

It often surprises the hell out of me how much my items will go for. And I try to be a very good seller and offer good deals, I've never tried to overcharge anyone. I list many/most things for .01 starting and no reserve, and a reasonable buyout. Half the time stuff gets bid to hell and goes above the buyout I was originally asking...

Sold this Fujinon 35-70 lens that was fairly nice, I thought i'd get like $30-40 for it, instead it went for $150 (wtf???) lol

Edit: that said, ebay is kind of a scam now. They charge you fees, then a fee for when it sells. Then they MAKE you use paypal. Paypal is owned by them. Then paypal charges you fees as well. They nickle and dime you to death.

amanathia.zenfolio.com

sponsored links

2,212 views & 0 likes for this thread
eBay - Part Rant...Part Question
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.