Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Nov 2010 (Saturday) 13:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D, 60D or Nikon D7000?

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 13, 2010 14:46 |  #16

Riveredger wrote in post #11277995 (external link)
D7000 is the best of these options. When you compare the sensors, the D7000 comes out well ahead of the 7D. I suspect the update to the 7D will be aiming to score as well as the D7000. http://www.dxomark.com​/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%2​9/680|0/%28appareil2%2​9/619|0/%28onglet%29/0​/%28brand%29/Nikon/%28​brand2%29/Canon (external link)

Unfortunately sensor capability is only one part of the equation when choosing a camera. :D

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

sponsored links
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 13, 2010 14:49 |  #17

Hogloff wrote in post #11278024 (external link)
Usually the opposite problem. If you see the subjects head and feet in the viewfinder, you will not cut them off. It is the branch or some other thing at the edge of the image which is not visible in the viewfinder that can sneek into the image. Easy to crop out in post.

In the digital age, 100% viewfinders are somewhat over rated. When shooting slides, they are critical as you have no post processing of slides that can clone out or cut out unwanted ( and unseen ) artifacts at the edges of the image.

Agree.

And my wonky brain must have a defective level transmitter because most of my images need straightening.

Bob

Riveredger
667 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 13, 2010 15:41 |  #18

Bob_A wrote in post #11278069 (external link)
Unfortunately sensor capability is only one part of the equation when choosing a camera. :D

And the most crucial, in all reality. Aside from 2 fps, potentially quicker low light focusing and more magnesium alloy, the D7000 has the edge. The 7D is awesome, too, though - don't get me wrong.

Flickr Photostream (external link)

Ryan7490
264 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 13, 2010 16:17 |  #19

Have you held each one in your hand and tested it out? Probably one of the easiest ways to decide. If it were me, I would go with the D7000...

Nikon D610, 50 f/1.8, 70-300 VRII

(external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 13, 2010 18:37 |  #20

Riveredger wrote in post #11278281 (external link)
And the most crucial, in all reality. Aside from 2 fps, potentially quicker low light focusing and more magnesium alloy, the D7000 has the edge. The 7D is awesome, too, though - don't get me wrong.

The most crucial? Hardly.

The D7000 is a very good consumer camera that is a definite step up from the Canon D60 or the Nikon D90. Between these the D7000 is a better choice, unless you are already invested in Canon or prefer Canon accessories and lenses.

The 7D and D300s compete with each other. Each are very capable cameras with higher fps, but more importantly pro (or close to pro) AF systems. AF capability (including a dedicated AF-On button) is MUCH more important to me than the small differences between the latest Nikon and Canon sensors.

The D7000 also does not have a 10 pin connector for accessories such as the Nikon GP1 GPS unit or a wired remote. Nikon was pretty careful to strip out enough features to keep a gap between the D7000 and the D300s.

Bob

Riveredger
667 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 13, 2010 18:51 |  #21

Bob_A wrote in post #11279012 (external link)
The most crucial? Hardly.

The D7000 is a very good consumer camera that is a definite step up from the Canon D60 or the Nikon D90. Between these the D7000 is a better choice, unless you are already invested in Canon or prefer Canon accessories and lenses.

The 7D and D300s compete with each other. Each are very capable cameras with higher fps, but more importantly pro (or close to pro) AF systems. AF capability (including a dedicated AF-On button) is MUCH more important to me than the small differences between the latest Nikon and Canon sensors.

The D7000 also does not have a 10 pin connector for accessories such as the Nikon GP1 GPS unit or a wired remote. Nikon was pretty careful to strip out enough features to keep a gap between the D7000 and the D300s.

Sounds like you aren't aware of some of the features of the D7000. I won't debate the features with you, though.
This pic will provide some clues :-)

IMAGE: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000/D3S_2883-side-0600.jpg

Flickr Photostream (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 13, 2010 19:55 |  #22

Riveredger wrote in post #11279096 (external link)
Sounds like you aren't aware of some of the features of the D7000. I won't debate the features with you, though.
This pic will provide some clues :-)

I'm aware of all of the features and even have read the user manual. It does not have the feature set of the 7D or the D300s.

Bob

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 13, 2010 21:01 |  #23

Bob_A wrote in post #11277954 (external link)
Out of those three the 7D is the one I'd pick. The Nikon D300s is still a step up from the D7000, so if you included that one it would be a bit tougher, although I'd probably still go for the 7D or wait for the D300s replacement.

Not according to KR. He's been very entertaining lately about the D7000 even comaring it to various FF bodies. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a fine camera for those already invested in the Nikon system but the price of their glass borders on ridiculous for some, especially high end primes.

Flickr (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 13, 2010 21:02 |  #24

K6AZ wrote in post #11279601 (external link)
Not according to KR. He's been very entertaining lately about the D7000 even comaring it to various FF bodies. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a fine camera for those already invested in the Nikon system but the price of their glass borders on ridiculous for some, especially high end primes.

Well if KR said it's so I must be wrong! :lol:

Bob

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 13, 2010 21:32 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

K6AZ wrote in post #11279601 (external link)

Take a gander over at the direction Canon is heading with all their new glass. $2000+ for everything they have released of late. Give it a couple more years and there will be no difference in glass price between Canon and Nikon. We will all be using Sigma, Tamron and Tokina.:)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 13, 2010 21:40 |  #26

Hogloff wrote in post #11279740 (external link)
Take a gander over at the direction Canon is heading with all their new glass. $2000+ for everything they have released of late. Give it a couple more years and there will be no difference in glass price between Canon and Nikon. We will all be using Sigma, Tamron and Tokina.:)

Well until that happens I'm sticking with Canon. Maybe Olympus will get around to FF, I'm impressed with a lot of their gear but forget high ISO on four thirds sensors.

The 24mm f/1.4 was the final nail in the coffin for me regarding Nikon. I had owned Nikon gear for over 20 years but the glass finally got to the breaking point for me with that one.

Flickr (external link)

MLphoto
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 13, 2010 22:39 |  #27

after having experience with all cameras, and the results they give you at the end of the day, I vote for 60D.

http://flickr.com/marc​el-lech-photography (external link)

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 13, 2010 22:42 |  #28

Riveredger wrote in post #11277995 (external link)
D7000 is the best of these options. When you compare the sensors, the D7000 comes out well ahead of the 7D. I suspect the update to the 7D will be aiming to score as well as the D7000. http://www.dxomark.com​/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%2​9/680|0/%28appareil2%2​9/619|0/%28onglet%29/0​/%28brand%29/Nikon/%28​brand2%29/Canon (external link)

Then I checked this:

http://dxomark.com …/Nikon/%28brand​2%29/Canon (external link)

and of course there's no doubt about it...
I bet all those PRO's out there who paid lots of $$$ for their 1DIV's are kicking their own asses now that is proved that a consumer DSLR can give superior image quality.... or... wait... :p

Anyone wanting to trade a 1DIV for a D7000?? I'll sacrifice myself and buy a brand new D7000 in exchange for your 1DIV!! :cool:

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 13, 2010 22:50 |  #29

Alex_Venom wrote in post #11280025 (external link)
Then I checked this:

and of course there's no doubt about it...
I bet all those PRO's out there who paid lots of $$$ for their 1DIV's are kicking their own asses now that is proved that a consumer DSLR can give superior image quality.... or... wait... :p

Anyone wanting to trade a 1DIV for a D7000?? I'll sacrifice myself and buy a brand new D7000 in exchange for your 1DIV!! :cool:

Not on your life. Buy a new 1Ds3 and we'll talk about it. :D

Flickr (external link)

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 13, 2010 22:59 |  #30

K6AZ wrote in post #11280055 (external link)
Not on your life. Buy a new 1Ds3 and we'll talk about it. :D

LOL! I don't think anyone with an 1DS3 will want to trade it for a D7000. They both got the exact same score:

:p

The proposal for the 1D4 is still open, tough. Give me your 1D4 and I'll give you a brand new D7000!! Take it an go! :cool:

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

sponsored links

20,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 7D, 60D or Nikon D7000?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.