Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 29 Oct 2010 (Friday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SMWYG Year 4: Return of the Photographer ADMIN THREAD

Jason ­ C
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,836 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 13, 2010 01:56 |  #46

Bill Boehme wrote in post #11275489 (external link)
I have a couple dumb questions:

1. I have never participated in the forum photo competitions before, but it sounds interesting. I assume that all of the regulars know what SMWYG stands for, but I have not been able to ferret out the meaning so far. Can someone toss me a bone? Who knows, there might even be another person hoping that someone else will ask the question.
  2. As I understand, we need to keep the EXIF data intact, but the discussion about watermarking brought up another question in my mind. My name is in the EXIF data as well as in the IPTC metadata. While not containing much personally identifiable information other than camera S/N, there is also other metadata such as the Camera RAW data (at least, I probably won't submit any images containing DICOM data ;) ). I have no idea how I would or even should remove any of this data once it becomes a part of the image. The only option that I can envision is to save the image for the web and then include a list of the shooting data). Am I over analyzing this?

#1 was answered by Ed, and I'll take a stab at #2 even though I am not Permi. What is required is that you post basic EXIF: Body, lens, Tv and Av values along with iso. I'll toss in if I used a flash and if I went "bezerker" with PP. Something like this text in your submission post;

1D MKII
50/1.4
430 EX Speedlite/ocf
1/125th sec
f/2.8
iso 100
11/27/2010

Hope this helps, and I hope I'm right...;)

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

sponsored links
Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 13, 2010 09:12 as a reply to  @ Jason C's post |  #47

Exactamondo Jason!

Bill, hop in, its a great gang of folks.:D

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

-g-
Horribly disfigured but learning to cope
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 13, 2010 10:19 |  #48

Flo wrote in post #11276701 (external link)
its a great gang of folks.:D

Speak for yourself... :)

Flickr (external link)--------------- Facebook (external link)--------------- Web (external link)--------------- Twitter (external link)
GENO.CA - Vancouver wedding photographer

Permagrin
THREAD ­ STARTER
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 13, 2010 12:19 |  #49

Bill Boehme wrote in post #11275489 (external link)
I have a couple dumb questions:

1. I have never participated in the forum photo competitions before, but it sounds interesting. I assume that all of the regulars know what SMWYG stands for, but I have not been able to ferret out the meaning so far. Can someone toss me a bone? Who knows, there might even be another person hoping that someone else will ask the question.
  2. As I understand, we need to keep the EXIF data intact, but the discussion about watermarking brought up another question in my mind. My name is in the EXIF data as well as in the IPTC metadata. While not containing much personally identifiable information other than camera S/N, there is also other metadata such as the Camera RAW data (at least, I probably won't submit any images containing DICOM data ;) ). I have no idea how I would or even should remove any of this data once it becomes a part of the image. The only option that I can envision is to save the image for the web and then include a list of the shooting data). Am I over analyzing this?

We like the general exif in tact. That way if a photo gets challenged (as it was last year) we have some sort of proof who it belonged to, when it was taken etc. So don't remove it. I realize that exif can be faked but there's not much we could do about that if it happens. If there's a challenge and the photog has no proof that the photo is his/hers. It is disqualified.

We only ask that people post their exif with their submission, because some don't have exif readers.

The point of taking off personal watermarks was to avoid influencing the judges (for good or bad).

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 13, 2010 20:04 |  #50

Permagrin wrote in post #11277472 (external link)
We like the general exif in tact. That way if a photo gets challenged (as it was last year) we have some sort of proof who it belonged to, when it was taken etc. So don't remove it. ...

OK, my name is in the EXIF data of my images -- so it is OK to submit it that way? ... and, the judges won't peek until after the winners have been selected?

I guess that my assumption was that the posted image perhaps could be a "save for the web" (which does not have EXIF) and then, if selected, a high quality large image with the EXIF data intact would then be provided.

My questions are more-or-less academic anyway since my photographic creativity is still somewhat in its infancy. I have finally come to recognize that a technically good image does not necessarily impress anyone besides myself if it is not able to stand on its own without an intervening explanation when attempting to make an artistic statement.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

Permagrin
THREAD ­ STARTER
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 13, 2010 20:10 as a reply to  @ Bill Boehme's post |  #51

correct.

Some people do "save for web" but then again, if there's a challenge then we have to get the original and get the info etc. It's just easier. The EOM judges are all really reliable. They stay out of the photos only threads and try to keep their judging based on the blind submissions at the end of the month.

What happens is that the winners from each week are put in a password protected gallery. The judges vote (they cannot right click for the exif) without knowing the name etc.

The weekly judges know who submits etc. but again, we are a pretty balanced bunch...and not given to picking one person's shot because we like them better or vice versa :lol:

Permagrin
THREAD ­ STARTER
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 14, 2010 15:32 as a reply to  @ Permagrin's post |  #52

Congratulations to the winners of week 2. Your photos are entered into the end of the month contest.

geno.ca wrote in post #11238571 (external link)
"Contemplation"

1/6000
f/2.0
ISO 100
135mm

QUOTED IMAGE

Reyno wrote in post #11257848 (external link)
Honey I'm Home
IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i121.photobucke​t.com …otos/POTN/Honey​ImHome.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Camera Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Lens EF 500 + 1.4x TC
ISO 200
Av f 6.3
Tv 1/1600 sec

Robuk wrote in post #11259475 (external link)
Conwy Harbour Sunrise, North Wales. 08:06am 30/10/2010

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon 5D MKII - Handheld
Canon 17-40 f4
iso 400 @ f6.3
1/50th @ 17mm
3 shot HDR +2, 0, -2

HM's:
Jason C's "Simplicity"
airfrogusmc's "Shadow & Leaves"
Barb W's "The Aztec"

Permagrin
THREAD ­ STARTER
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 14, 2010 16:28 as a reply to  @ Permagrin's post |  #53

comments for week2:

This was a very strong week. There were a half a dozen shots that easily could have been rated a 1, this week. And probably half a dozen more that merited a 2. Just a really competitive week.

cotmweasal: Pretty girl. I had a couple of problems with this one. First the post processing blurring should not have gone over her arms. If you are trying to mimic a narrow DOF, be sure and be precise in your pp or it looks fake. Good colors in this. Harsh light on her (right side) face.

Jason C: Very pretty shot. Gorgeous colors. Nice use of lines & dof.

Cuypers1807: I liked this shot. It has interest & cuteness. The horizon is off a bit.

ni$mo350:
This is a really beautiful shot. I actually very much like the tonemapping on the flower. No critique here. I like the comp and the use of DOF.

airfrogusmc: Excellent abstract. LOVE the opposing rich textures to smooth darks. No critique here either.

airbutchie: Fun shot. Nice capture. Good comp. Not super strong subject matter.

Harm: I WANTED to score this one higher. I really love the comp. And the subject. Sadly the dark shadow on the lower left draws the eye away every time I look at the shot. Much potential here. Suggestions, clone out that shadow.

RyanGSams: Fun sports capture. For this shot to rate higher, the focus needs to be on your main subject. You have Peyton as your subject but your focus is on the OT (74).

Soulful2001: some suggestions for this shot...first you have a lot of sensor dust. Time to clean the sensor or clone out the dust in pp. Secondly, I like the idea of a silhouette but the subject is dead center and has the grass sticking out of it's head. So just some things to keep an eye on in future. Check out the "recommended reading links" in the first post of this thread to know what we are looking for as well as things to watch out for.

Jubu: First, I want to be there. lol Thanks for that. :lol: Some suggestions for this shot: the roof on the left draws the eye. Perhaps clone it out. Secondly, I wasn't sure what the actual intent was for this shot. Was it to draw my eye to the sun rays? Or the center of the photo (my eyes were led in by the rays but led to the center that is bokeh'd). So my suggestion would have been to use maybe F8-F11 and have that center part in focus.

Flo: Love this one, Gail. Nicely exposed. And I like your processing on it.

Dilorenzo1954: This is a beauty shot too, Ed. No critique.

oakleaf: couple of suggestions here...first, you don't want to cut someone off at a joint, that includes shoulders. Her right shoulder (photo left) is cut. Secondly, in framing a portrait, you want to think about the area around the subject as well. You have no space on the photo left and space on the right...it's uneven so it looks like a quick snap. Secondly, the background is distracting...whatever that is in the window looks like it's coming out of her hat. Would encourage you to also read the recommended reading links in the first post, it will help to show what we are looking for in the shots as well as things to watch out for. Watching out for the "ugly" is key in portraits. Signposts, trees, things in windows...it draws your eye away from the subject.

Barb W: loved this. I was so torn this week in my choices. I had several 1 point, photos. I had to look for things to eliminate or score something lower. My only nit with this one is the haloing around the buildings. Comp is great. Nice use of leading lines.

vmlopes: only a couple of nits with this one. You were obviously going for center focusing. To nail this, you must be exact. The chair is slightly off. Also the eyes are really drawn to the foliage outside the windows. Perhaps adding a light on the chair to draw the viewers eye back to the subject. Nice use of hdr.

Edbrewer3: I liked this shot. A lot. The processing was a bit bright pink for me. But I think it was well photographed. It almost looks cgi instead of a photo.

harleypugs: This was another 1 point shot for me this week. You only got marked down because her eyes are dark. Shooting subjects with hats is hard. A reflector to highlight the eyes might have helped here. Nice shot & good conversion.

thatkatmatt: nice colors in this shot Matt. Nice comp too. Really soft lighting that suits the shot. Subject is not as strong, in a weak of top shots.

kilvas: If you are going to do a detail shot with hands, it's easier to use someone else's hands so that you can take shots from different angles to see which way, creatively, would work the best. You've got that 14mm distortion on the lower left that is a distraction that you might have been able to eliminate by shooting the peppers on a cutting board or having someone else hold them (to keep with your theme). Also, some levels adjustments here would add some contrast and help the shot. Colors are a bit flat.

lavanut: fun shot. Since your subject is "please don't hurt me" I wish the ref's hat was not cropped off. I still enjoyed it though. Love shots that tell a story.

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 14, 2010 16:41 |  #54

Congrats Winners and HMs - Awesome photos everybody!

lavanut
Goldmember
2,495 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 14, 2010 16:51 as a reply to  @ Permagrin's post |  #55

Congrats winners & HMs!! There were some incredible shots this week. I loved the osprey shot, Reyno!

Thanks for the comments, Lisa. I wish I'd gotten all of the ref's hat too, but I was generally happy with the capture. It was my first time out with the 7D doing action shots. Of all the ones I shot that night, that one made me smile the most! Glad you liked it. :-)

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

RyanGSams
454 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 14, 2010 16:56 |  #56

Congrats winners, thanks for the C&C

Ryan
Canon 60D
Canon Rebel XSi: kit lens
Canon 75-300 USM Non-IS
Canon 70-300 USM IS

Becky ­ N
"full of baloney"
23,060 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 14, 2010 17:17 |  #57

Sorry I didn't get to comments last week, ran out of time. Like has been said before like all arts photography is very subjective one photo speaks to one person and to the next nothing, doesn't mean it is bad or good. That said here are my meager thoughts from this week, which was very strong, it came down to what photos spoke just a little louder to me:

Airfrogusmc - Shadow and leaves: Very original, least I've never seen anything like this before. Good back light on the background leaf. Reminds me of one of my favorite short stories by O'Henry.

Airbutchie - Frozen Bokeh Droplets: Good catch on the droplets and isolating them. They are well focused. Would like to see less pattern in the pool.

dilorenzo1954-Courting Cranes: Very sharp on the crane, love the feather detail and catching what ever it is tossing.

vmlopes - Time to reflect:
Great on getting the outside exposed in the windows, however it left the shoes just a bit to dark, I'd like to see them just a little lighter.

ni$mo350 - A rose by any other name: Beautiful bokeh. Glad to see the water drops. Nit pick would be highest leaf, probably should be cropped out.

jubu -Oahu sunset:
Very nice framing from the trees . The sun glare is just a bit too dramatic and really fogs the background.

edbrewer3 - Bubbles: Cool my main nit is the small amount of bubble in the upper right, when I cover it, I like that crop much better.

Harleypugs - Amber waves of grain: Beautiful girl and processing. The main problem I have with this shot is no glint in her eyes, makes them lifeless.

Harm - What the future holds: Cool mural, don't like the shadow or blue paint in the lower left corner would be best to crop out.

Cotmweasel - Lady:
Good focus on the eyes and lighting on the face. Subject is well separated from the background. Necklace being cut off is nagging me a bit.

oakleaf - Whitby Goth Girl: Nice sharp portrait, the eyes are spot on and the processing leaves her very natural looking. The thing I can't get away from is the color splash in the background. My eyes keep going right to them.

thatkatmat - Fall colors: The light spots coming through the foliage draw my eye from an otherwise beautifully lit set of leaves.

Kilvas - Yet another reason…: Nice concept, however too much yellow cast the white balance needs to be cooled down and the background is too cluttered.

Flo-Goin Fishing: Funny old truck tells a lot in this photo but the blue tarp is drawing me away from the story the truck is trying to tell.

RyanGSam - About to be sacked: Good action sports shot, a tighter crop on the subject would hold more attention to what is about to happen otherwise my eyes were looking at the rest of the game. Just enough motion blur in this shot, with kind of action a complete freeze pulls away from the realism of what is going happening.

lavanut - Please don't hurt me: Good catch, great expression on the ref. This would have scored higher if the ref's head hadn't been cut off.

Jason C - Siimplicity:
Nice sharpness in several flowers, however the second row of flowers have weird chromatic edges going on.

Cuypers - Rush to the Water:
This is a cute shot and I like the sense of hesitation.

soleful2001 - Oh Bluebird:
Nice back lighting of the wings to bring out the individual feathers. Not crazy about the weed coming out of the head. And your sensor needs some cleaning.

Barb W - The Aztec:
Nice city scape, however the bright sky especially the glare over left corner of the darkest building, detracts from the B&W processing for me. Perhaps if you could bring the brightness down in the sky only it wouldn't overpower the mood.

BeckyWomen and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it. ~ Robert Heinlein; Procrastinate now! Don't put it off.. ~Cat (CFPackerfan)

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 14, 2010 17:44 as a reply to  @ Becky N's post |  #58

Congrats to the week's winning images.

I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.
~ Garry Winogrand

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,851 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 14, 2010 17:46 as a reply to  @ macroshot's post |  #59

Thanks for the comments and congrats to Geno, Reyno and Robuk.

Jason ­ C
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,836 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 14, 2010 18:14 |  #60

Congrats to Geno, Reyno and Robuk for their top honors. Congrats also to Allen and Barb for their HMs. Thank you judges for the mention, and the critique which is always welcome.

Kick-butt week this week, and I hope it continues...

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

sponsored links

27,957 views & 0 likes for this thread
SMWYG Year 4: Return of the Photographer ADMIN THREAD
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.