Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 18:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Class 6 SDHC cards not being seen by computer...help?

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,463 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 14, 2010 18:04 |  #1

I do not know what is going on...they are being seen by all of my cameras, but none of our computers...
They are all fairly old. my laptop was just upgraded to Win7 32.and my desktop Win7 64...but the laptop is 4 years old. and the desktop ~2...

I got the cards when buying gear for work, so it was just a "bonus", but I would like to use them as I constantly get "BUSY" on my T2i from it (assuming) needing to transfer to the memory card..plus I hear you need at least class 6 for video..I have like 4x4GB SDHC Class 6(Sandisk Extreme) cards that have images that I cannot get from them..

Any advice. ???

Thanks,
Brent

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

sponsored links
ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 14, 2010 18:55 |  #2

Can the laptop and desktop read any other SDHC cards? If not, have you updated the drivers for the reader?

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

dakboy
62 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 14, 2010 21:12 |  #3

SD card readers can't handle SDHC (unless the explicitly say they can). You're going to need a USB reader that handles SDHC (check for SDXC, the next iteration, while you're at it). Fortunately, they're cheap; I got mine bundled with a card that I needed to buy anyway.

HyperCams
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,463 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 15, 2010 04:40 |  #4

Thanks for the replies.
FWIW, I actually purchased a Belkin Multi Card reader about 1 month ago because non of our comp's had CF readers..and, the belkin's light changes when I put the cards in, but the computer still does not see anything...absolutely nothing.

The wierd part is that I have a Transcend brand 8GB card and it gets read fine....
I thought anything above 4GB was considered HC...?

So, I just need to find one that is definitely XC compatible, or just use the USB to download the images from the computer...

Thanks again!!

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 15, 2010 08:33 |  #5

Pretty much anything that's 4 GB and above is SDHC - it should actually say SDHC on the card. SDXC kicks in for cards of over 32 GB. A 4 year old computer probably only has an SD reader, not SDHC. Belkin's F5U249v 15-in-1 USB card reader doesn't mention SDHC support either, so you need to get a new reader that actually specifies SDHC support..

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 15, 2010 10:00 |  #6

HyperCams wrote in post #11286326 (external link)
Thanks for the replies.
FWIW, I actually purchased a Belkin Multi Card reader about 1 month ago because non of our comp's had CF readers..and, the belkin's light changes when I put the cards in, but the computer still does not see anything...absolutely nothing.

The wierd part is that I have a Transcend brand 8GB card and it gets read fine....
I thought anything above 4GB was considered HC...?

So, I just need to find one that is definitely XC compatible, or just use the USB to download the images from the computer...

Thanks again!!

The card reader you have should be capable of reading SDHC cards.

The 4 year old computer might have USB 1.1, but it should be capable of recognizing your card reader, but will just transfer at a slower rate. Does the card reader have drivers that need to be installed?

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

sponsored links

2,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
Class 6 SDHC cards not being seen by computer...help?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.