Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Nov 2010 (Friday) 11:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Markins L Plate?

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 13, 2010 09:53 as a reply to  @ post 11275889 |  #16

agphotography wrote in post #11275685 (external link)
Oh im well aware of their wonderful functionality. I have L brackets for both of my cameras WITH their battery grips on, but a lot of time for walk around shooting I'll run my 5DmkII without a grip. I was just debating if is worth buying two MORE L Brackets. Something doesn't feel right about $500+ for 4 tripod plates ;)

"Walk-around"? You carry tripods at those times? If not, maybe just pick up a couple of basic A-S non-L plates for those times.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
Hoppy1
841 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 15, 2010 16:56 |  #17

I have a Markins L-bracket on a 5D2. I bought it because it was notably lighter than the others, as well as cheaper. I think it is superb - no issues with it whatsoever. It has intents which locate with the tiny lugs on the base of the camera to prevent any movement. It lives on my camera - never comes off. I think every serious camera should have Arca-Swiss rails built-in from the factory.

I've made a slight modification to mine, taking a file to remove a small part of the lip which locates with the baseplate. This allows the bracket to slide a couple of mms closer so it's flush with the left-hand end of the camera, makes it more comfortable. It means that I can't use the remote release socket when the camera is vertical on the tripod, but since I use an IR release that's not a problem for me :)

5D2, 17-40L, 50/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L 4 IS, 580/270EX, Strato II/RF-602, Elinchroms

midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 15, 2010 18:06 |  #18

Headshotzx wrote in post #11275889 (external link)
Thanks for the replies everyone (:

I was considering markins because it's cheaper and available locally from a photo store I frequent. It's SGD190 for the markins, and almost S$250 for the RRS.

Both plates have lugs for hand strap, and both have a 1/4" x 20 hole. Not sure about panoramic marking features though, since I don't do many of those shots. And I'm sticking with my kirk screw clamps for now...

if the price difference is that significant, i think i'd go for the markins plate. just my $0.02

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

JCAMER
93 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 23, 2010 13:15 |  #19

There has to be a more affordable solution out there. $150-250 for an L-plate seems ridiculous to me.

Hoppy1
841 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 23, 2010 15:06 |  #20

JCAMER wrote in post #11333959 (external link)
There has to be a more affordable solution out there. $150-250 for an L-plate seems ridiculous to me.

I agree. There's a few on ebay, like this. No idea of quality, but how hard can it be? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …et-CANON-7D-/330495340521 (external link)

5D2, 17-40L, 50/1.8, 24-105L, 70-200L 4 IS, 580/270EX, Strato II/RF-602, Elinchroms

ddong
405 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 23, 2010 17:24 |  #21

ben_r_ wrote in post #11274074 (external link)
Go RRS and think no more about it!

bw!

sponsored links

7,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
Markins L Plate?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.