Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Nov 2010 (Monday) 10:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First TS-E

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 15, 2010 20:31 |  #16

hhuy888 wrote in post #11291114 (external link)
i used the ts-e 45 for 2 weeks and decided the lens was not for me. I feft it was an outdated lens and needed to be updated.
i also tried the ts-e 24L ii (for 10 minutes at the store) and saw it was indeed much better built and the manual focus ring moved like butter (not hard and making unsmooth sound like the 45mm). To me there was a clear difference built quality between the new 24L ii and the old design of 45mm.

I am debating if i should buy the ts-e 24L ii or wait until Canon update the ts-e 45mm and 90mm.

The 24mm seems like a lot of fun! Oh how I wish I had all of the money in the world so that I can buy these lenses I want.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

sponsored links
hhuy888
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 15, 2010 20:34 |  #17

i mainly shoot environmental portraits, really prefer the 45mm focal length. But i did not like the feel of focusing ring, neither liking the image quality i get from it after transfering into my computer.

hhuy

hhuy888
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 15, 2010 20:38 |  #18

Marloon wrote in post #11291152 (external link)
The 24mm seems like a lot of fun! Oh how I wish I had all of the money in the world so that I can buy these lenses I want.

i don't have ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD ;D either; therefore, have to think really hard every time buying an L or expensive lens.

hhuy

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 15, 2010 23:26 |  #19

realmike15 wrote in post #11289245 (external link)
No. One of the primary uses for a TS lens is to bring large buildings into perspective when you can't get the proper angle. Stop being such a stickler. Either that or you don't understand that "perspective" is a pretty broad term.

Yes, this.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

actprivate
499 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 16, 2010 00:37 |  #20

Thanks, Quad and Mike K. :-)

I'm considering an accessory that allows counter-shifting the body. I'll check out what you recommended. I recall reading about this counter-shifting before. But the other day, I just took two overlapping shots - one with 10mm shift to left and one with 10mm shift to right while the camera was horizontally aimed at a scene. Using PS, I stitched the two images and they looked quite alright to me. I checked the overlap region at 100% and could not fault it really. Did I miss something? Still I got a bit of vignetting but was able to imrove it with PS.

When I asked in my previous post about combing the shift function with tilting the camera, I didn't mean tilting the lens. I meant rotating the camera/tripod head around the tripod's axis (as aome may do when using any other lens) to get further on both sides of the image. I guess the best way is to try and see how it turns out.

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 16, 2010 00:43 |  #21

Here is a great video I saw today on what TS can do, especially for video, but it applies to still also.

http://canoncaravan.st​illmotionblog.com …u-by-canon-live-learning/ (external link)

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

ken2000ac
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 16, 2010 02:01 |  #22

I'm partial to the 17 or 24, for the reasons that hhuy888 has pointed out. If it's landscapes or environmental portraits you're after, do consider these lenses.

flickr (external link)
5DSR | 1N RS | TS-E 24L II | 70-300L

Mundty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 16, 2010 06:56 |  #23

Marloon wrote in post #11291140 (external link)
It all depends on what you are shooting. I use the 45mm for portraits. It also doubles as a product lens.

Tell us what you shoot, and we will help you decide

I like shooting a bit of everything. Just as an example, I do like this guys use of the the TS-E lens... he seems to make sure of it from everything to his kids sports games, to parties, and even weddings.

http://www.iamaposer.c​om/?paged=2 (external link)

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 16, 2010 08:05 |  #24

actprivate wrote in post #11292408 (external link)
Thanks, Quad and Mike K. :-)

I'm considering an accessory that allows counter-shifting the body. I'll check out what you recommended. I recall reading about this counter-shifting before. But the other day, I just took two overlapping shots - one with 10mm shift to left and one with 10mm shift to right while the camera was horizontally aimed at a scene. Using PS, I stitched the two images and they looked quite alright to me. I checked the overlap region at 100% and could not fault it really. Did I miss something? Still I got a bit of vignetting but was able to imrove it with PS.

When I asked in my previous post about combing the shift function with tilting the camera, I didn't mean tilting the lens. I meant rotating the camera/tripod head around the tripod's axis (as aome may do when using any other lens) to get further on both sides of the image. I guess the best way is to try and see how it turns out.

To counter shift you might try this:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Positioning_Sl​iding.html (external link)

If you happen to use the Gitzo QR system (not real popular but I use it) this is a lighter, more compact, not as precise but easier to use.

http://www.adorama.com​/GZGS5370LC.html (external link)

You can rotate the head. It is more useful with longer lenses (ie the 90) but you can shift up do a standard pan swing with the head, shift down and repeat. I figure the you need to set the 90 back 77mm. To figure out what be best set back is put a light stand near your camera and use it to aim at something distant, move the pan head and see if they move relative to each other. Pan left distant object moves left you are too far back and vice versa.

edit see this tutorial

http://dgrin.smugmug.c​om/gallery/2114189 (external link)

hhuy888
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 16, 2010 09:08 |  #25

realmike15 wrote in post #11293259 (external link)
I like shooting a bit of everything. Just as an example, I do like this guys use of the the TS-E lens... he seems to make sure of it from everything to his kids sports games, to parties, and even weddings.

http://www.iamaposer.c​om/?paged=2 (external link)

wonderful photographer ! it looked like he mixed a lot of 24mm 1.4 ii with the ts-e 24 ii. (correct me if i am wrong)

hhuy

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 16, 2010 09:39 |  #26

I own the TS-E 24II and part of my late fall/early winter tasks is to utilize it a lot more. I have been on the 24II way way way too much (and I love it...) but the TS-E 24II offers unparalleled flare control, distortion control, and selective focus. It can make an ordinary scene that much more amazing.

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

Mundty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 16, 2010 10:15 |  #27

hhuy888 wrote in post #11293770 (external link)
wonderful photographer ! it looked like he mixed a lot of 24mm 1.4 ii with the ts-e 24 ii. (correct me if i am wrong)

His gear list seems to suggest he uses the Canon TS-E 45mm f2.8, but who knows maybe it's not up to date. It's a tough decision for me, I've got the Zeiss Makro-Planar ZE f/2 50mm at the top of my list... so I'm probably better off going with the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II or TS-E 90mm f/2.8 since the TS-E 45mm might be really redundant with the Zeiss 50mm (considering I'd have (2) 50mm and (1) 45mm)

EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

Mundty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 16, 2010 10:19 |  #28

JonK wrote in post #11293941 (external link)
I own the TS-E 24II and part of my late fall/early winter tasks is to utilize it a lot more. I have been on the 24II way way way too much (and I love it...) but the TS-E 24II offers unparalleled flare control, distortion control, and selective focus. It can make an ordinary scene that much more amazing.

I'm just curious, do you feel it's redundant having TS-E lenses and Primes in the same focal length? I know with the 24mm they are different apertures, but do you feel like each offers enough distinctive benefits to keep both?

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 16, 2010 10:26 |  #29

realmike15 wrote in post #11294158 (external link)
I'm just curious, do you feel it's redundant having TS-E lenses and Primes in the same focal length? I know with the 24mm they are different apertures, but do you feel like each offers enough distinctive benefits to keep both?

I have a bit of redundancy in wide angle line up. Do I care if it's redundant? Nope! :) I'm a wide angle enthusiast and love it. All my lenses serve a different purpose.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 16, 2010 10:56 |  #30

realmike15 wrote in post #11294158 (external link)

I have 4 different lenses that "do" 24mm. Redundancy isn't a real concern for me. :lol:

Oh, and the TS-E 24mm II is the best of them @ 24mm.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

sponsored links

4,302 views & 0 likes for this thread
First TS-E
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.