Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 06:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just throwing this out there...

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2010 06:08 |  #1

Why is it that...
We quite happily take photos to essentially record all the happy monents of our lives like the birth of a child, birthdays, engagements, weddings, graduations and other significant evnts but yet a camera is rarely seen at funerals.
Why?
A funeral is at least as significant as any other event in our lives - is it not?

Not after a right or wrong answer, just curious about it.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

sponsored links
ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 16, 2010 06:34 |  #2

happy events vs somber event maybe?

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,683 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 16, 2010 06:37 |  #3

You want to remember the happy times by recording them. Photographing a funeral verges on an act of celebration, not really appropriate for an act of mourning.

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 16, 2010 06:43 |  #4

"Rarely" is the key word. I have never seen it myself but I also haven't been to many funerals. If someone asked me to shoot their parent's funeral (or child or whatever) I would have a hard time doing it. Not so much of the dead body but I'd be concerned that guests might feel offended and not able to mourn properly. For the funeral itself I would stick to all primes and avoid flash.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Nov 16, 2010 06:49 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #5

....because it's too difficult to look through a viewfinder while crying, and no IS-system can compensate for shaking with sadness.

But it's true, some funeral-type shots can be recorded.
Attached is me, looking into my Dad's "hole" the day before he was put in it.
No. I didn't celebrate it in any way at all, but oddly enough, posting a lot of my images in POTN from Dad's death (from post #536 -> Bring out yer dead) did help me overcome some of the grief.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

SirStuey
284 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 16, 2010 06:51 |  #6

Funerals are a private time for many, and when they're feeling at their worst. Not the place for a photog. It just doens't seem appropriate. Maybe before or after, but not during.

mmackwan
52 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 16, 2010 06:56 |  #7

go to india and you will see a video/photogrpher at a funeral

1D MK IV,7D Grip, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 500mm f4 IS II, canon 580 & 430 EXII

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 16, 2010 07:54 |  #8

Not to generalise but in western society, funerals are generally a sad event mourning the life that has passed whereas in certain eastern cultures it can be seen as a celebration of a life lived.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 16, 2010 08:48 |  #9

neilwood32 wrote in post #11293434 (external link)
Not to generalise but in western society, funerals are generally a sad event mourning the life that has passed whereas in certain eastern cultures it can be seen as a celebration of a life lived.

This is true Neil.

I've been to a few Theravada Buddhist funerals here in Laos and from what I've seen the dead aren't mourned in the truest sense, but the life of the deceased is celebrated..

The ones I've been to are almost have a carnival atmosphere.. There is no out pouring of grief, this is done privately..

Buddhist funerals are a truely amazing sight.. The deceased will lie in state (covered in a pyre) for as long as eight days in the family home until a monk or shaman says its time.. The body can't be left alone at any time.. Family members will stay at his/her side 24/7.. People come and go at any time day or night to pay respects.. Food and drink are offered, card games are played, almost party like..

The deceased is transported (in the pyre) to the temple on the back of a truck in a procession through the streets.. Loud music is played.. The mourners (women) wear white..

Food, drink and candles are placed near the funeral pyre.. Two or three rockets are fired into the pyre and up it goes in smoke with coloured smoke and fireworks.. Talk about going out with a bang..

To Phils question,, the last one I went to was for an important person.. I noticed two individual video guys and a heap of stills shooters..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 16, 2010 12:32 |  #10

Would young children who die in an accident or something be celebrated in the same way as an elderly person who passed away from natural causes?

yogestee wrote in post #11293652 (external link)
This is true Neil.

I've been to a few Theravada Buddhist funerals here in Laos and from what I've seen the dead aren't mourned in the truest sense, but the life of the deceased is celebrated..

The ones I've been to are almost have a carnival atmosphere.. There is no out pouring of grief, this is done privately..

Buddhist funerals are a truely amazing sight.. The deceased will lie in state (covered in a pyre) for as long as eight days in the family home until a monk or shaman says its time.. The body can't be left alone at any time.. Family members will stay at his/her side 24/7.. People come and go at any time day or night to pay respects.. Food and drink are offered, card games are played, almost party like..

The deceased is transported (in the pyre) to the temple on the back of a truck in a procession through the streets.. Loud music is played.. The mourners (women) wear white..

Food, drink and candles are placed near the funeral pyre.. Two or three rockets are fired into the pyre and up it goes in smoke with coloured smoke and fireworks.. Talk about going out with a bang..

To Phils question,, the last one I went to was for an important person.. I noticed two individual video guys and a heap of stills shooters..

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 16, 2010 13:14 |  #11

notable exception: Who can forget John Jr. saluting his fathers casket as it passed? (JFK's funeral)

There is a need for photographs of funerals where the greiving cannot all be present, in this case the entire nation was in some way comforted by the humanity of that shot.

I would bet that the secret service wouldn't allow the first family to be approached under similar circumstances today.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

xcel730
603 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 16, 2010 13:26 as a reply to  @ birdfromboat's post |  #12

It's a very sticky situation. As other have mentioned ... who would want to look back at the funeral photos to re-live the emotion of a love one passing away.

Also, the guests would be annoyed because they're mourning and probably crying ... and people typically don't want to be seen or have their photos taken when they're crying. Forget about a funeral, imagine you have a female friend that is crying over a breakup with her boyfriend ... and you took out your camera to capture her.

________
[Gear List]
Quote: If the grass is always greener on the other side, then maybe you should start working on your own grass.

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 16, 2010 13:49 |  #13

i was asked to shoot a funeral, only request was not to include the deceased in the pictures. i shot mostly from the back with tripod and long lens.

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 16, 2010 14:37 |  #14

I've been asked to shoot two funerals and offered to shoot another. The one I offered to shoot didn't want it and thought it was a strange offer. Some people just don't want to record the somber event. Some want to record the last time they get to see the deceased.

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 16, 2010 15:00 as a reply to  @ bsaber's post |  #15

I have photographed a few funerals (including one at Arlington National Cemetary) and the family members have been very appreciative. Not only is it a time when the family gathers, but the photos provide a memory for those who cannot visit the cemetery.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

sponsored links

2,347 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just throwing this out there...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.