Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 10:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom 500BXRI Kit vs D-Lite 4IT Kit

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 16, 2010 10:18 |  #1

After searching a bit it seems that most threads that are comparing the 500BXRI's are comparing them to the 600RX monolights.
I am looking at the D-Lite 4's vs the 500BXRI kits. Since the price of the 500BXRI kit is down to $1299 and then a $100 rebate to bring it down to $1199 it is only $350 more than the D-Lite 4's. Just trying to figure out advantages for the $350 and seeing if anyone has any insight into the comparison. This is not my main job and just a hobby that I love. And the bank account seems to hate ;)

Looking to use in a home studio (basement) for shots of the little ones and family pictures in the studio and outside (where power is available). The groups would occasionally get up to 10-12 people. The majority of the use will be for 1-2 people in the home studio.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

sponsored links
Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2010 10:31 |  #2

I think the upgrades from the D-Lite to the BXRi is well worth it. Being able to remotely control the power settings from your camera is a big plus. Most of the time, I find myself walking over to the light and changing the settings manually, but when it's up on a boom it suddenly becomes a very nice feature. The extra power isn't really a game changer but also a plus.

What you have to ask yourself is this: Will I need that $350 for a modifier and is that modifier more important? With that $350, you can get one of the two most popular Elinchrom modifiers --53" Midi Octa and 39" Deep Octa. I know that further complicates things when it comes to making your decision, but that's something to think about. Like you said, this is just a hobby and for a basement studio. Maybe a BXRi wouldn't be as necessary? Or if you can come up with some funds in the near future, maybe going with BXRi is a better choice?

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 16, 2010 10:35 |  #3

wizard13 wrote in post #11294155 (external link)
After searching a bit it seems that most threads that are comparing the 500BXRI's are comparing them to the 600RX monolights.
I am looking at the D-Lite 4's vs the 500BXRI kits. Since the price of the 500BXRI kit is down to $1299 and then a $100 rebate to bring it down to $1199 it is only $350 more than the D-Lite 4's. Just trying to figure out advantages for the $350 and seeing if anyone has any insight into the comparison. This is not my main job and just a hobby that I love. And the bank account seems to hate ;)

Looking to use in a home studio (basement) for shots of the little ones and family pictures in the studio and outside (where power is available). The groups would occasionally get up to 10-12 people. The majority of the use will be for 1-2 people in the home studio.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

There are some assorted differences but none that would really make a difference in your images or workflow and based on the fact that this isn't what you do for a living and are at the beginning stages or working with studio strobes I think you could get either kit and be very happy.

The most significant difference I see in terms of convenience of use if the fact that the D-Lite IT has a Skyport trigger built-in whereas the BXRi's give you built-in triggering and remote control over power output and modeling light on/off.

Outside of that feature I can't see any reason to go one way or the other unless you just liked one more than the other or preferred the slightly better (and a more pro look) of the BXRi's.

I'm sure others will chime in and you'll get a lot of good feedback.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 16, 2010 10:46 |  #4

Seanzky wrote in post #11294218 (external link)
I think the upgrades from the D-Lite to the BXRi is well worth it. Being able to remotely control the power settings from your camera is a big plus. Most of the time, I find myself walking over to the light and changing the settings manually, but when it's up on a boom it suddenly becomes a very nice feature. The extra power isn't really a game changer but also a plus.

What you have to ask yourself is this: Will I need that $350 for a modifier and is that modifier more important? With that $350, you can get one of the two most popular Elinchrom modifiers --53" Midi Octa and 39" Deep Octa. I know that further complicates things when it comes to making your decision, but that's something to think about. Like you said, this is just a hobby and for a basement studio. Maybe a BXRi wouldn't be as necessary? Or if you can come up with some funds in the near future, maybe going with BXRi is a better choice?

TMR Design wrote in post #11294243 (external link)
There are some assorted differences but none that would really make a difference in your images or workflow and based on the fact that this isn't what you do for a living and are at the beginning stages or working with studio strobes I think you could get either kit and be very happy.

The most significant difference I see in terms of convenience of use if the fact that the D-Lite IT has a Skyport trigger built-in whereas the BXRi's give you built-in triggering and remote control over power output and modeling light on/off.

Outside of that feature I can't see any reason to go one way or the other unless you just liked one more than the other or preferred the slightly better (and a more pro look) of the BXRi's.

I'm sure others will chime in and you'll get a lot of good feedback.

Thanks for the feedback. That is kinda what I was thinking. Really the only difference I was seeing was the remote controlling of the strobes. Nice yes but for $350???
It is a hobby but one that I really enjoy and who knows where it will lead....
But for now just looking for opinions and hoping others will chime in also.
Thanks again!

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 16, 2010 11:07 |  #5

I was in the same boat as you. I went BXRi

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 16, 2010 11:11 |  #6

if I was in a position to buy, I'd go BxRI

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 16, 2010 11:23 |  #7

sigma pi wrote in post #11294407 (external link)
I was in the same boat as you. I went BXRi

So what made you decide to go BXRI??

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 16, 2010 11:24 |  #8

hawk911 wrote in post #11294433 (external link)
if I was in a position to buy, I'd go BxRI

Why would you decide to go BXRI if you were buying? What drove that decision?

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 16, 2010 12:17 |  #9

wizard13 wrote in post #11294510 (external link)
So what made you decide to go BXRI??

More WS (which I didnt need) and Adjusting the lights from the camera (which I have not really used too much, but I turn the modeling lamp off from the camera :D )

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 16, 2010 12:19 |  #10

remote adjustment sure would be nice, rather than climbing ladders, running back and forth, training my son how to adjust... on camera would be great! Luckily enough the mounts are more robust now, but my lowly original Dlites suffer from inadequate stand mounts.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 16, 2010 12:47 |  #11

My choice was a little easier when I got my BXri's as the D-LiteIT were not out so you have to add the skyports. The other deciding factor for me, and I don't know if this has been improved on the IT's, but the stronger mount was a factor. The BXri's have no issue at all holding my 53" Octa without having to crank down on the mount.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2010 12:57 |  #12

The new D-Lites are very, very good. The gap between the D-Lite it and the BXRi is small. I still chose the BXRi, though. The little things that it offered over the D-Lite it were enough to justify the cost for me... shorter flash duration, extra power, remote power, etc. When I was looking to get a third strobe, I strongly considered getting a D-Lite it (2 or 4) for kicker or a similar use, but I kept gravitating back towards the BXRi 500.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 16, 2010 13:16 as a reply to  @ Seanzky's post |  #13

You might also want to consider a kit that has 1 BX500Ri and one BX250Ri. This will also give you more flexibility and help you in those situations where you do want to shoot at slightly wider apertures.

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, you're much more likely to have an issue with not being able to drop the power enough than you are to be in a situation where you don't have enough power.

Of course, if you were going to use these strobes outdoors for location lighting it would be entirely different.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 16, 2010 14:52 |  #14

TMR Design wrote in post #11295087 (external link)
You might also want to consider a kit that has 1 BX500Ri and one BX250Ri. This will also give you more flexibility and help you in those situations where you do want to shoot at slightly wider apertures.

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, you're much more likely to have an issue with not being able to drop the power enough than you are to be in a situation where you don't have enough power.

Of course, if you were going to use these strobes outdoors for location lighting it would be entirely different.

Outdoor lighting is not the main goal but it will be one of the functions of the lights here and there. In that case are you suggesting the 500BXRI's then?

Thanks for all the input on this decision. Have just been looking around for weeks now and it just seems these two kits are so close :)

PhotoCan
81 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 16, 2010 16:35 |  #15

I really wanted 4 lights and considered 2 BXRi's and 2 D-Lite 4's. I ended up going for the superior BXRi's, but only 3 due to my budget. No regrets.

Although I wish to take my photography and studio skills much further than where I'm at presently (beginner to the studio!), I currently practice in my home. I only have 8 foot ceilings and had the need to place the BXRi right up at that height. I'm 6ft and couldn't reach the buttons, so being able to simply push a button on the Skyport transmitter really did put a smile on my face :) I love it, haha!

I've put each strobe on a different group so simply switch the number on the transmitter and go up and down in power for each one, and being able to switch the modelling lamp on and off in the same way is great. Also, even if the strobe is down low and looking up to light a background, you have to kneel and get you head very low to see and push buttons.

I think you may regret going for the D-Lite's, especially if you ever get the chance to use the BXRi's ;)

Greg

sponsored links

6,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchrom 500BXRI Kit vs D-Lite 4IT Kit
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.