Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 16 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 09:18
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you wear glasses?"
Yes
80%
No - but contac lenses
6.3%
No
13.8%

80 voters, 80 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many people here wear glasses?

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 16, 2010 09:18 |  #1

I just got curious recently when someone mentioned chromatic aberrations in glasses :D

So, how many people here wear glasses - I do, -2,0/-2,5 right now, I'll possibly need -2,5/-3,0 next summer (2011), but let's see (-> and thus a new dioptre correction glass for my 5D MK II too)

Mine are Flair - model 534 if anybody is interested :D

In the attached poll - you can vote for contact lenses only please if they are your main choice and glasses are only worn after getting up/before going to bed as an in between step.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sponsored links
Bootsie
"Dang! I am a loser"
3,243 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 16, 2010 13:10 |  #2

I only really wear contacts, my prescription is very high, so my glasses are extremely thick. I am very grateful for contacts!

Current prescription is -8.5 for both, with some astigmatism in the right eye.

{Brooke}
Canon 50D Gripped| 85 1.8| 100 2.8 macro| 17-85 IS| 50 1.8| 70-200 F4 L IS!!
---My Gallery--- (external link) ~My Blog~ (external link) **All My Gear**

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 16, 2010 13:13 |  #3

Bootsie wrote in post #11295057 (external link)
I only really wear contacts, my prescription is very high, so my glasses are extremely thick. I am very grateful for contacts!

Current prescription is -8.5 for both, with some astigmatism in the right eye.

Yikes... sounds a bit like my mother... she's in the same area regarding dioptres.
But at those values contact lenses are more comfortable.

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Nov 16, 2010 18:16 |  #4

Only if it's bright outside...

...nothing corrective. I'm like 20/40 in one eye and 20/35 in the other. Not too good, but not bad enough to fail a driver's license exam...especially if I squint. :-P

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 16, 2010 19:23 |  #5

Glasses all the time... -4 in each eye, which is just that annoying amount outside of what the camera can correct in the viewfinder.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 16, 2010 19:42 as a reply to  @ Jim G's post |  #6

I don't notice any CA when looking through the camera lens. I notice it when looking off center through my glasses, definitely green/red shift. I'm about -6.5 in one eye, and -6.75 in the other.

From what I understand, the higher the corrective power, and and the higher the refractive index of the lens, the higher chance of getting CA. With the pushing of higher refractive lenses, to give the wearer a thinner lens, it increase the chance of CA that is noticed.

Also of note - the higher the prescription, the more exacting they need to be when grinding the lenses.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

Depht
33 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 17, 2010 13:23 |  #7

I actually like glasses. Wearin a pair of Mykitas now.

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 17, 2010 13:30 |  #8

Depht wrote in post #11301406 (external link)
I actually like glasses. Wearin a pair of Mykitas now.

I like mine too :)

The only disadvantage is, they get in the way of my viewfinder ;) (Too far away from my eyes to wear when shooting - but not too bad to push up with my camera)

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 17, 2010 14:11 as a reply to  @ DetlevCM's post |  #9

I tell people "I am blind in one eye and cannot see out of the other'

That gets a great reaction. :lol:

There are times the glasses really create an issue for me. When it is sunny and the angle I need to look through the viewfinder does not like my glasses being smashed up against the view finder.

Otherwise I shoot my camera the same way I shoot my rifles...I close both eyes...:cool:

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 17, 2010 14:16 |  #10

I'm just thinking, isn't it funny that right now we have 18 votes for glasses, 1 for contacts and only 6 with good eyesight? :) Photography, a task that to some extent requires good vision, but the majority of photographers seem to have impaired sight.

Life must be much easier now, considering we have good autofocus - so even if we can't quite judge sharpness in the viewfinder with glasses (in my experience you can't) we can rely on the autofocus to do a good job.

To all people who looked in here but have neither voted nor posted - do vote please, you do not need to post if you don't want to.

marubozo
Goldmember
1,470 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 17, 2010 18:40 |  #11

I have glasses, but they don't help all that much. My right eye isn't bad at just -2, but I have kerataconus pretty bad in the left and it's pretty much on the edge of what can be corrected and even with glasses it's almost like having vasoline over my eye.

The doc is still mulling over the idea of a cornea transplant but said it's a last resort.

Oh, and I really hate glasses and trying to use the viewfinder. :(

Canon 20D
Canon Elan 7E
Canon 550D | 18-55mm | 28-105mm f/3.5 | 28mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 1.4x TC | 580EX II
Canon VIXIA HF200

flickr (external link)

super ­ nova
49 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 18, 2010 00:18 |  #12

DetlevCM wrote in post #11301715 (external link)
I'm just thinking, isn't it funny that right now we have 18 votes for glasses, 1 for contacts and only 6 with good eyesight? :) Photography, a task that to some extent requires good vision, but the majority of photographers seem to have impaired sight.

Life must be much easier now, considering we have good autofocus - so even if we can't quite judge sharpness in the viewfinder with glasses (in my experience you can't) we can rely on the autofocus to do a good job.

To all people who looked in here but have neither voted nor posted - do vote please, you do not need to post if you don't want to.

:lol: So true and i can relate very well. Glasses user!

MY GEAR

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 18, 2010 00:23 |  #13

Heh! You left something out, and that's the aging process, where you can start with 20-20 vision, at some point maybe in your '40s you start using reading glasses for fine print, then maybe in your '50s you need glasses to read on your computer, but the camera diopter on the viewfinder still works...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 18, 2010 00:33 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #14

My arms seem to be shrinking as i get older so I've had to get readers to offset this odd phenomenon.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 18, 2010 00:41 |  #15

Heh! Yeah, it's funny -- I've hung out with younger folks who don't get why I need glasses for books and now computer stuff but don't need them for driving or watching TV or whatever:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

3,306 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many people here wear glasses?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.