Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 10:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom 500BXRI Kit vs D-Lite 4IT Kit

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 16, 2010 19:32 |  #16

PhotoCan wrote in post #11296284 (external link)
I really wanted 4 lights and considered 2 BXRi's and 2 D-Lite 4's. I ended up going for the superior BXRi's, but only 3 due to my budget. No regrets.

Although I wish to take my photography and studio skills much further than where I'm at presently (beginner to the studio!), I currently practice in my home. I only have 8 foot ceilings and had the need to place the BXRi right up at that height. I'm 6ft and couldn't reach the buttons, so being able to simply push a button on the Skyport transmitter really did put a smile on my face :) I love it, haha!

I've put each strobe on a different group so simply switch the number on the transmitter and go up and down in power for each one, and being able to switch the modelling lamp on and off in the same way is great. Also, even if the strobe is down low and looking up to light a background, you have to kneel and get you head very low to see and push buttons.

I think you may regret going for the D-Lite's, especially if you ever get the chance to use the BXRi's ;)

Thanks for the input. Ever had a problem where you could not turn the 500BRXI's down low enough?

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

sponsored links
say_cheese
789 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 16, 2010 20:20 |  #17

A few months ago i bought the two light D-Lite 200's kit for my smallish basement studio (family shots & small product). I'm getting great results with the D-Lites. (this is a hobby, not paid work, although I do make a bit of money) I typically have the strobe's set to very low output and camera set to lowest ISO settings. 400WS lights would be like a super nova going off. Money saved is gone towards more light modifiers. As someone else said, too many photons brings its own problems in a small studio.

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 16, 2010 21:00 |  #18

say_cheese wrote in post #11297462 (external link)
A few months ago i bought the two light D-Lite 200's kit for my smallish basement studio (family shots & small product). I'm getting great results with the D-Lites. (this is a hobby, not paid work, although I do make a bit of money) I typically have the strobe's set to very low output and camera set to lowest ISO settings. 400WS lights would be like a super nova going off. Money saved is gone towards more light modifiers. As someone else said, too many photons brings its own problems in a small studio.

Thanks for the comment. A good thing to think about.
The problem is that I also want to use them outdoors at times and will be battling the sun.

eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 16, 2010 22:01 |  #19

TMR Design wrote in post #11294243 (external link)
There are some assorted differences but none that would really make a difference in your images or workflow and based on the fact that this isn't what you do for a living and are at the beginning stages or working with studio strobes I think you could get either kit and be very happy.

The most significant difference I see in terms of convenience of use if the fact that the D-Lite IT has a Skyport trigger built-in whereas the BXRi's give you built-in triggering and remote control over power output and modeling light on/off.

Outside of that feature I can't see any reason to go one way or the other unless you just liked one more than the other or preferred the slightly better (and a more pro look) of the BXRi's.

I'm sure others will chime in and you'll get a lot of good feedback.

Rob do you know if Elinchrom fixed in the D-lite IT the problem that generated crackings in the base of the original D-lites when using heavy modifiers ???

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 16, 2010 22:04 |  #20

eduardofrances wrote in post #11298034 (external link)
Rob do you know if Elinchrom fixed in the D-lite IT the problem that generated crackings in the base of the original D-lites when using heavy modifiers ???

The swivel mount on the D-Lite IT's is improved but still is not as robust as the BXRi or the RX.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Tobi.
469 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 17, 2010 02:01 |  #21

TMR Design wrote in post #11298064 (external link)
The swivel mount on the D-Lite IT's is improved but still is not as robust as the BXRi or the RX.

I thought it was exactly the same. What's the difference?

Tobi

Tobi.
469 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 17, 2010 02:03 |  #22

say_cheese wrote in post #11297462 (external link)
As someone else said, too many photons brings its own problems in a small studio.

I agree. But the more light control I want, the more power I use though. Flags and grids eat up light and then 400Ws does not seem to be that much anymore.

The weird thing is: The darker I want a picture, the more power I need.

On most cameras, there's still ISO 200 or ISO 400 but not ISO 50. So 200Ws should be fine.

Tobi

freshcargo
361 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 17, 2010 07:21 |  #23

TMR Design wrote in post #11295087 (external link)
You might also want to consider a kit that has 1 BX500Ri and one BX250Ri. This will also give you more flexibility and help you in those situations where you do want to shoot at slightly wider apertures.

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, you're much more likely to have an issue with not being able to drop the power enough than you are to be in a situation where you don't have enough power.

Of course, if you were going to use these strobes outdoors for location lighting it would be entirely different.

good recommendation. The 250 is also a faster light when it comes to freezing action.

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

PhotoCan
81 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 17, 2010 07:24 |  #24

wizard13 wrote in post #11297174 (external link)
Thanks for the input. Ever had a problem where you could not turn the 500BRXI's down low enough?

I'm new to studio lighting and have only been practising with objects and mannequins so haven't had that problem...yet. I can say I have been using them on lowest power quite a bit.

Greg

eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 17, 2010 07:39 |  #25

TMR Design wrote in post #11298064 (external link)

Thanks Rob :)

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 17, 2010 07:44 as a reply to  @ PhotoCan's post |  #26

The only time it's a problem or issue is if you want to shoot at wide apertures. If you like to shoot at f/4 or wider then that can be difficult with some strobes that don't give you enough range of control over power. Many people use ND filters to reduce the light reaching the sensor and it works well but some studios aren't well lit or the modeling lights aren't bright enough to provide the contrast needed for the AF system in their camera to perform with precision.

Personally, I've never had a problem using ND filters and I regularly use a 2 stop ND in the studio for those times when I can't reduce the power enough.

Robert

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 17, 2010 07:45 |  #27

Tobi. wrote in post #11299022 (external link)
I thought it was exactly the same. What's the difference?

Tobi

I believe there is still a difference between the mounts. I don't own them so I can't do a direct comparison and identify the differences but I know there are others that have either owned both or done comparisons.

Robert

wizard13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 17, 2010 09:00 |  #28

TMR Design wrote in post #11299760 (external link)
The only time it's a problem or issue is if you want to shoot at wide apertures. If you like to shoot at f/4 or wider then that can be difficult with some strobes that don't give you enough range of control over power. Many people use ND filters to reduce the light reaching the sensor and it works well but some studios aren't well lit or the modeling lights aren't bright enough to provide the contrast needed for the AF system in their camera to perform with precision.

Personally, I've never had a problem using ND filters and I regularly use a 2 stop ND in the studio for those times when I can't reduce the power enough.

Interesting. Didn't even think about using ND filters to reduce light to the camera. Thanks for the idea!

say_cheese
789 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 17, 2010 15:52 |  #29

hawk911 wrote in post #11294801 (external link)
Luckily enough the mounts are more robust now, but my lowly original Dlites suffer from inadequate stand mounts.

Not sure what the earlier design mounts look like, but the current one's look reasonably robust to me (this is from my 200WS DL). They have lateral ribbing to prevent flexing and in the case where one did get damaged it looks like the mount can be removed from the strobe case and a new mount installed.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

Tobi.
469 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 17, 2010 15:58 |  #30

say_cheese wrote in post #11302272 (external link)
Not sure what the earlier design mounts look like, but the current one's look reasonably robust to me (this is from my 200WS DL). They have lateral ribbing to prevent flexing and in the case where one did get damaged it looks like the mount can be removed from the strobe case and a new mount installed.

Yes it can be interchanged. The problem is the case itself, it will crack where the mount slots into it.

Maybe one day I'll get around to take a shot of the typical damage, a friend of mine has some heavily (ab)used D-Lites that have the typical cracks.

The new D-Lite it are a lot better.

Tobi

sponsored links

6,977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchrom 500BXRI Kit vs D-Lite 4IT Kit
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.