Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 16 Nov 2010 (Tuesday) 11:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Monitor choice

james_in_baltimore
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 16, 2010 11:03 |  #1

I need to replace my aging ultrasharp and have been looking at 24" monitors. I do not have a huge budget, so no high-end NECs are in my future. I also am not interested in 16:9 monitors as there just isn't enough vertical real estate. So, basically a 1920X1200 IPS display that is as low priced as possible.

Given my requirements, the only 2 I have found that fit the price range and specs are the HP ZR24W and the Dell U2410.

The Dell is more expensive and is wide gamut. I am hesitant to go wide gamut because the way I understand it, I would need an expensive colorimeter to calibrate it. This adds significant expense to an already more expensive monitor.

The HP is less expensive and normal gamut. I already have a Spyder 2 express that can calibrate it so that makes it an even better deal.

If I buy the HP, will I end up regretting the decision and wishing I had bought the Dell? Is the HP good enough for editing?

I am obviously leaning towards the HP, but if someone has a compelling argument for buying something else I am all ears.

Thanks!

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

sponsored links
james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 16, 2010 11:46 |  #2

OK, a wrench has been thrown into the mix. I found a coupon for 25% off the dell U2211H. That makes it $209 which is about half the price of the HP. I realize it is 16:9, but that is a pretty sick deal. Should this change my opinion?

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 16, 2010 12:26 |  #3

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #11294616 (external link)
. Should this change my opinion?

Why are you ignoring the Dell U2311h and the few other 23" monitors using the same e-IPS display panel?

My opinions:
If I was a pro photographer, the U221 would be slightly too small.
If I was considering a 23" model, I'd get two, about the same price as one U2410.
I would get the absolute best monitor I can afford, same as lenses.
I would not cheap out on the calibration device and invest in a ColorMunki.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

tduff
57 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 16, 2010 12:32 |  #4

I was in the same situation a few months ago. I eventually went with the HP as I found a great deal on it. I also considered the smaller Dell, but ruled it out because I would lose size in height and width.

lowrider
796 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 16, 2010 12:42 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #5

Last week I ordered the U2410 from Dell. It was on sale for $499. When it was confirmed, the delivery expected was December 8. I wasn't going to wait that long. I tried to cancel the order, and after spending over 90 minutes on the phone with various customer service folks from India - I was finally able to cancel the darn thing. The last person I spoke to, a young lady who was the most knowledge of all the folks I spoke to, said they were out of stock and the wait was from 3 to 5 weeks. Why they didn't have the out of stock condition on the description page I don't know. But the hassle of cancelling this thing means I will never buy from Dell again.

But, I did get an HP ZR24W from a vendor on eBay (Microman) for $388. It's on the fedex truck as I write this. I'm currently using a dell TN 24" display that I've had for about a year, and it just aint cuttin' it. The added quality and flexibility of the IPS display, and the added desktop space will be features I know I'll enjoy. I'm patiently waiting for the fed ex truck.

Lou

james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 16, 2010 13:15 |  #6

ChasP505 wrote in post #11294834 (external link)
Why are you ignoring the Dell U2311h and the few other 23" monitors using the same e-IPS display panel?

My opinions:
If I was a pro photographer, the U221 would be slightly too small.
If I was considering a 23" model, I'd get two, about the same price as one U2410.
I would get the absolute best monitor I can afford, same as lenses.
I would not cheap out on the calibration device and invest in a ColorMunki.

The U2311 is the same resolution as the U2211, but more expensive and not on sale. I understand a lot of people seem to like that monitor. Either way, I would prefer a 16:10 to a 16:9. As for a calibration device, I realize the high end ones give slightly better results (I say slightly because I doubt most people could see the difference in the results between a relatively low end calibration device and a high-end one).

I am looking a little bit harder at the U2410 now. I will probably just use the factory calibrated settings until I am able to get a high end calibration device. Has anyone tried to get dell to pricematch off of ebay for the U2410?

lowrider
796 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 16, 2010 14:14 |  #7

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #11295077 (external link)
I am looking a little bit harder at the U2410 now.

You do realize that the U2410 is not on sale now, and that there is a 3 to 5 week wait for Dell to replenish it's stock. And, as I said above - I'll never be a Dell customer again.

Lou

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 16, 2010 14:44 |  #8

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #11295077 (external link)
As for a calibration device, I realize the high end ones give slightly better results (I say slightly because I doubt most people could see the difference in the results between a relatively low end calibration device and a high-end one).

The ColorMunki is NOT high end... It's at the upper end of consumer monitor calibration devices, but it's at the low end (price-wise) of total monitor/printer calibration kits.

A few of the advantages for monitors include working with wide gamut monitors and LED type backlighting, and communicating with the monitor via DDC.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

lowrider
796 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 16, 2010 20:47 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #9

My HP came, and IMHO it's amazing. I calibrated it with the Apple Displays Control Panel, and so far to my eyes it looks great. No dead pixels that I can see.

Lou

james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 17, 2010 10:49 |  #10

ChasP505 wrote in post #11295652 (external link)
The ColorMunki is NOT high end... It's at the upper end of consumer monitor calibration devices, but it's at the low end (price-wise) of total monitor/printer calibration kits.

A few of the advantages for monitors include working with wide gamut monitors and LED type backlighting, and communicating with the monitor via DDC.

All the same, if I was going to spend that much on the colormunki, then I might as well just get a NEC monitor with a spectraview II calibration system. unfortunately, I do not have an unlimited budget, so there are always going to be trade offs.

I decided to go in the mid range and bought a refurb U2410 that had a sept 2010 manufacture date off ebay and a spyder3. I had a 10% ebay coupon, so that pushed the total price of the monitor down to $323 including shipping. If I have trouble getting good results with the spyder 3 I'll just get the ColorEyes Display Pro software. I do not print at home, so being able to do printer profiling is not important to me.

Hopefully I'll have good results. The ebay seller has 100% feedback and has sold a lot of U2410s and has a good return policy. Thanks you everyone for the advice. I will be sure to update the thread once I've received the monitor and had a chance to calibrate.

james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 24, 2010 12:04 |  #11

OK. SO I received the refurbished U2410 last and ran it through calibration with the Spyder 3 pro. First of all, getting this monitor for 323 on ebay was an absolute steal, it is beautiful. I set it up on custom color and adjusted the RGB gain and brightness. The RGB gain only needed a couple tiny adjustments, I think it ended up being 99, 97, 100 or something. The brightness obviously needed to be turned way down - it ended up being around 17 or so from what I remember. Once I made those adjustments, the calibration went very smooth and the colors look great from comparing images on screen to prints I have ordered. I didn't really think I would notice the difference of a wide gamut screen, but I definitely do.

So, if anyone is willing to take the risk and buy one of these off ebay I feel it is one of the better bargains out there.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 24, 2010 12:11 as a reply to  @ james_in_baltimore's post |  #12

Good news James! Thanks for the followup.

Chas P

Aerton
98 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 30, 2010 11:08 as a reply to  @ ChasP505's post |  #13

Looking for a monitor as well and came across this Dell ST-2420L for $220.
I looked at some specs and the ST-2410L for $220 has my vote.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.all-monitors.com …ll_st2420l_vs_d​ell_u2211h (external link)

http://accessories.us.​dell.com …hsena_112510_B3​&lid=dhs_h (external link)

Canon 5D, Canon 1DS MK III, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 F.4, Canon XTi 400D, Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC LD Asph. AF (IF) Macro Len, Canon 580 EX II, KATA DR 467 Bag, Bags +++++

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 30, 2010 11:37 |  #14

Dell ST-2420L is a TN. (check response time & viewing angles, and the specs even mention it). Suitable for gaming, not editing.
Get the other one.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 30, 2010 14:18 |  #15

Aerton wrote in post #11370108 (external link)
Let me know what you guys think.

If you must get a Dell, get either the U2311h or the 2209WA. Both can be had for less than $250 USD and both have IPS display panels.

Chas P

sponsored links

3,171 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with Monitor choice
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.