Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 17 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 09:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just don't get it

Hawk's ­ Feather
306 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 17, 2010 09:44 |  #1

Like many here, I keep checking the Classified Sell section and this is NOT a put-down of the Classified or members selling there. I have bought several items there that I felt were very much "fair market value".

1. Some of the people must really like their equipment and try to sell used items for the same price as retail and in some cases above retail. Not necessarily small town camera store retail, but when compared to some of the larger online stores it is higher. Why would I buy a used item (with no warranty), using PayPal gift or +3%, plus shipping, when I can get the same thing "new" for very close (sometimes less) than what a person is selling it for? In many cases the online store offers free shipping on the item for sale which does make it a lower price. Maybe a better question is why do some people buy these same items? Many of them sell.

2. At the other end of the scale will be a post along the lines of: Brand New In Box unopened, ______ (fill in the blank with whatever camera/equipment you like), less than two weeks old, I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted so I bought several of each. I have decided to keep one of the other models so this BNIB unopened is for sale. Some of these are $200 to $300 below the online store prices. If they are still BNIB unopened, how did the owner decide on another model? Is this equipment stolen or did they get some really great deal from a store that I need to know about? If there is no great deal place, why not return it to the place that they bought it and get a refund? While I can only speak for myself, I would do a little background before buying several cameras, leave them sit while I looked at the boxes, and finally made up my mind. Maybe this is just a case where some people have more money than sense.

Again, I am not knocking the Classified section or members who use it, I just wonder what (if anything) I am missing.

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

sponsored links
saintseminole
21 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 17, 2010 09:47 |  #2

Hawks Feather wrote in post #11300264 (external link)
=Hawk's Feather;11300264]1. Some of the people must really like their equipment and try to sell used items for the same price as retail and in some cases above retail...

But it's the same if you check the used section of major camera stores too. Even at B&H or Adorama, their used lenses are sold at 90% (or more) of retail value. Lenses, if in usable condition, hold their value extremely well.

When you see a used lens at 100% or more of retail value, then you've found someone who's just being hopeful. And yes, they may get lucky and find a sucker.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/saintseminole/ (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,358 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 17, 2010 11:48 |  #3

=Hawk's Feather;11300264].... If they are still BNIB unopened, how did the owner decide on another model?....

Seems like a reasonable question, but apparently the world is full of greedy gullible people. Scenarios like you described would have my internal "BS meter" pegged at full scale. P. T. Barnum knew what he was talking about. ;)

Perhaps, the BNIB ad should also include, "anti-theft lock still attached to the box". :lol:

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

e02937
Goldmember
2,714 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 17, 2010 11:51 |  #4

I often find myself perplexed with some ads in the classifieds, for a variety of reasons from price, the condition, to lack of product photos.

Do what I do, move onto the next thread :)

Canon 7d
[15-85 IS] [70-200
f/4L IS] [I'm a PC]
[Full gear list and feedback]

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 17, 2010 12:06 |  #5

Hi Jerry:

Most of my gear has come used through the POTN buy/sell. My guess is that if one would want to sell a 135mm f/2 L lens, they'd do a search in the FS section to determine going rate of 'used' on that item. Post a FS ad +/- a few dollars based on condition of said lens.

It's more what I'd call 'price-fixing' on the used market here at POTN. Do a search for 135L lens offered for sale here. You'll see nearly every FS ad listing the used lens between $830 and $900. And as you've accurately stated, just about the price you'd find NEW from an online etailer.

Other than that, the bargain-priced items are usually snapped up in minutes!

At the end of the day, each of us transacts business via the channel we're comfortable with. A couple of pieces in my kit were purchased new, but again, most bought here used. Great buying experiences and good quality gear all the way around.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2010 13:25 |  #6

=Hawk's Feather;11300264]
2. At the other end of the scale will be a post along the lines of: Brand New In Box unopened, ______ (fill in the blank with whatever camera/equipment you like), less than two weeks old, I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted so I bought several of each. I have decided to keep one of the other models so this BNIB unopened is for sale. Some of these are $200 to $300 below the online store prices.

i've done this before. i had a expiring coupon that saved me $100 on an item. i couldn't afford it, but i used it anyways in hopes that i could rearrange some finances to accommodate it. after three weeks of trying, i couldn't come up with enough, so i sold it in it's factory sealed box. i split the savings with the buyer.

i cashed $50 from using the coupon that was issued to me, and he got a brand new lens for $50 off retail. i don't see how that hurt anybody.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

Andy ­ R
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 17, 2010 13:32 |  #7

alt4852 wrote in post #11301413 (external link)
i've done this before. i had a expiring coupon that saved me $100 on an item. i couldn't afford it, but i used it anyways in hopes that i could rearrange some finances to accommodate it. after three weeks of trying, i couldn't come up with enough, so i sold it in it's factory sealed box. i split the savings with the buyer.

i cashed $50 from using the coupon that was issued to me, and he got a brand new lens for $50 off retail. i don't see how that hurt anybody.

^ i see people at work (target) buy stuff with our discount when its on sale and sell it to profit a little dough...

5Dii ~ 80D
Canon 14L ~ Canon 24-105L mkII ~ Canon 50 f1.8 STM ~ Canon 135L ~ Sigma 100-400 ~ Canon 1.4x mkII

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2010 13:42 |  #8

Andy R wrote in post #11301463 (external link)
^ i see people at work (target) buy stuff with our discount when its on sale and sell it to profit a little dough...

are you comparing my lens purchase example to someone who's abusing an employee discount? :confused:

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 17, 2010 14:23 |  #9

No, he is just pointing out that it is a good business practice to buy low and sell high. Nothing personal.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 17, 2010 14:23 |  #10

Have you looked at the craigslist ads, so ridiculous! MANY times people post items for well over their value and I just hope noone is naive enough to buy without researching first.

Kelley
www.facebook.com/charm​edcapturesphotography.​com (external link)
40D, 5D,5D II, 28-75 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 300 2.8L

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,065 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 17, 2010 14:50 |  #11

I've been looking for a second 5D2 for months. Used prices are around 2300. You can get a new one mail order for 1950, and a Canon refurb for 1999. WTF.

I bought my 3rd 5D.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, 16, 18, 56, 16-55, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80
<<all zooms for sale—zeiss, canon & fuji>>

Hawk's ­ Feather
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 18, 2010 08:27 |  #12

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that I was pretty much on target with my thoughts. The fact that Canon cameras and lens keep their value is both a curse (if you are looking to buy one) and a blessing (if you are looking to sell one). I had not thought of an employee discount or a discounted coupon being used for a new item and then reselling it.

I too have purchased several items here and felt that I was not only treated fairly, but paid a reasonable price. I watched 50Ds for some time keeping a database of who posted, clicks, condition, price, etc. and finally had what I felt was a decent idea of what was "too high", "too low", and just about right. When it came to the 50mm f1.4, I decided to go with new since the only ones that were about where I would have liked were quickly bought or appeared to have been used in the war - probably several wars.

I thought I would add two more to my "list".

1. "I have a ______ for sale and will post pictures tonight." So this person is driving to work in the morning and thinks, "I will sell my ______ today and can't wait till I get home and get a picture of it so that someone can see that it really is perfect." I think I would avoid these sellers.

2. "I have a ______ for sale for $800. I bought it recently and just don't use it like I thought I would." Click on sellers name, click view public profile, click view all posts, and usually find the ______ that they bought. (This is not a problem and some people give the link to the prior purchase.) What I sometimes find is that the ______ was bought for $700 (which was a "normal" selling price - not low and not retail, but the normal 10% to 15%. So I guess in some cases a person just owning an item can increase the value. : )

Later,

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

evanger371
309 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 18, 2010 11:55 |  #13

The bottom line is that this forum creates an open market, free to exist at the individual discretion of its members. While many here are likely hobbyists that rely on retail channels for gear, there are those who are professionals or merchants that leverage this forum in their business.

We've all seen what I would refer to as "day traders" who buy equipment wherever they can at the lowest possible cost and hold it until a perceived need or shortage arrives, then they sell. There are some people who have so much activity in the marketplace that I find it hard to believe that they are really interested in the substance of photography beyond the merchant aspects.

And then there are the professionals and insiders who just have access to deals that the rest of us cannot touch. They can purchase new at (to pick an arbitrary number) 30% less than the rest of us and they turn around and generate income from that position.

I personally support the open nature of this marketplace but let the buyer beware.

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 18, 2010 20:22 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Hawks Feather wrote in post #11305967 (external link)
=Hawk's Feather;11305967]I thought I would add two more to my "list".

1. "I have a ______ for sale and will post pictures tonight." So this person is driving to work in the morning and thinks, "I will sell my ______ today and can't wait till I get home and get a picture of it so that someone can see that it really is perfect." I think I would avoid these sellers.

2. "I have a ______ for sale for $800. I bought it recently and just don't use it like I thought I would." Click on sellers name, click view public profile, click view all posts, and usually find the ______ that they bought. (This is not a problem and some people give the link to the prior purchase.) What I sometimes find is that the ______ was bought for $700 (which was a "normal" selling price - not low and not retail, but the normal 10% to 15%. So I guess in some cases a person just owning an item can increase the value. : )

Later,

Jerry

#1 annoys me also. If you're going to post pictures later, then just post the whole thread later with pictures included.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 19, 2010 10:23 |  #15

# 1 really irritates me but I have no problem with #2. If someone is providing you a receipt, I don't know why one would care about questions you raise. May be I changed my mind, may be I just bought it when the rebate was on or something or may be I bought it with something else to save some money or...... Why would someone tell you about these things - If you don't know about them (rebate stuff and other ways of buying new at cheaper price) it's your (buyer's) problem.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

sponsored links

2,823 views & 0 likes for this thread
I just don't get it
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.