Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Nov 2010 (Monday) 08:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Black Rapid DR-1 Double Strap discovery

TXLEBER
960 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 08, 2010 08:21 |  #1

Ok...I've had my DR-1 Double Strap for the better part of a year now. I've just discovered that my main complaint about the strap was clearly due to a case of ignorance on my part as well as a lack of documentation/instruct​ion on Black Rapid's part.

The biggest problem I had was that when I bent forward the cameras would swing forward and bang into each other.

This occurred because I wasn't using the supplied coupler (elastic snap connector) in addition to the extra bumpers on the front part of the strap. I honestly couldn't figure out what the heck those extra bumpers on the front were for! Now that I've figured out how to use them properly all my issues with this strap system are gone. I figure I can't be the only knuckle head out there...so I just wanted to share my learning experience.

DISCLAIMER: Product photography is not my strength. :lol:

Here's what I learned/discovered:

Place the rear bumpers down to about the middle of your back. Then connect the elastic coupler UNDER the bumpers. The bumpers will prevent the coupler from rising up as you move around.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Now that you have the back secured you can move the front bumpers down to the swivel hook to lock it into position.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Using both the coupler and the front bumpers will prevent the cameras from swinging forward. I was really surprised how much this kept the cameras snug to my hip.

I feel like an idiot for not figuring this out sooner. I checked the Black Rapid site, online videos, the instructions that came with the strap...and couldn't find anything that illustrated what/how this at all. If the instructions are out there somewhere I couldn't find them. Hope this helps someone!

sponsored links
dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 14, 2010 00:25 |  #2

I just got a DR-1 a few days ago and used it for the first time today at a wedding (instead of the Op-Tech Dual strap).

I didn't know how to use the elastic coupler, so I never installed it. It worked perfectly fine. The coupler is nice, I just installed after reading your post. I will try it out during the next wedding!

My bumpers are set a little different than yours. My front bumper is way up as high as it can go; this is so that I can get high shots without taking the camera off the strap.

The bottom bumpers are almost perfectly at the bottom of the loop, I don't like my camera being further back.

-David

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

TXLEBER
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 14, 2010 06:41 |  #3

I only slide the front bumper down to lock the camera and prevent it from moving up on the strap. When I'm shooting the front bumpers move up all the way.

TXLEBER
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 14, 2010 10:28 |  #4

dKweddings.net wrote in post #11280334 (external link)
I just got a DR-1 a few days ago and used it for the first time today at a wedding (instead of the Op-Tech Dual strap).

I didn't know how to use the elastic coupler, so I never installed it. It worked perfectly fine. The coupler is nice, I just installed after reading your post. I will try it out during the next wedding!

My bumpers are set a little different than yours. My front bumper is way up as high as it can go; this is so that I can get high shots without taking the camera off the strap.

The bottom bumpers are almost perfectly at the bottom of the loop, I don't like my camera being further back.

-David

TXLEBER wrote in post #11281064 (external link)
I only slide the front bumper down to lock the camera and prevent it from moving up on the strap. When I'm shooting the front bumpers move up all the way.

I use the front bumpers to lock the cameras into position so that when I'm bending forward or walking/moving fast, the cameras can't swing forward. Other than that the front bumpers are up as high as they can slide so that I can slide the camera up and down the strap normally.

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 14, 2010 15:29 as a reply to  @ TXLEBER's post |  #5

The idea behind the rear bumpers is to force the strap to return to the normal position on you shoulder when you drop the camera. The straps, especially the single straps, have a tendency to slide on your shoulder in use and having the bumper there causes the strap to return to the normal position. The front bumper is designed to slide down and lock the camera into position between the two bumpers. This keeps it from sliding around when not in use.

By doing it the way he has, the OP is defeating the purpose of the rear bumpers and now the camera will slide toward the back when not being used.

Granted, the little cross strap will slide up in normal use but there are a couple of solutions for that. One would be to place a snap at the location on each strap and snap it to those. The other would be to buy another set of bumpers, which are available at stores like REI.

http://www.rei.com/pro​duct/612227 (external link)

John

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 15, 2010 01:00 |  #6

JWright wrote in post #11283033 (external link)
The idea behind the rear bumpers is to force the strap to return to the normal position on you shoulder when you drop the camera. The straps, especially the single straps, have a tendency to slide on your shoulder in use and having the bumper there causes the strap to return to the normal position. The front bumper is designed to slide down and lock the camera into position between the two bumpers. This keeps it from sliding around when not in use.

By doing it the way he has, the OP is defeating the purpose of the rear bumpers and now the camera will slide toward the back when not being used.

Granted, the little cross strap will slide up in normal use but there are a couple of solutions for that. One would be to place a snap at the location on each strap and snap it to those. The other would be to buy another set of bumpers, which are available at stores like REI.

I agree.

The bottom bumpers are important. They are more important for the single straps; but none-the-less still important for the Dual.

-David

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 15, 2010 01:01 |  #7

TXLEBER wrote in post #11281064 (external link)

You're right about the front bumper. But personally I like the freedom to move the camera as high up as I can, when I want.

-David

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 15, 2010 01:10 |  #8

There's a video of this on Black Rapids site :p

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

TXLEBER
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 18, 2010 08:00 |  #9

JWright wrote in post #11283033 (external link)

The rear bumpers really don't do much for me in preventing the cameras from sliding towards the back. The weight of the camera/lens/grip/batte​ries pretty much keep the cameras from sliding back.

In fact, when I was using the CoupleR system to attach two single straps together, the recommended configuration was to use the rear bumper high on the back to separate the two elastic couplers.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

So for me, the rear bumpers serve a better purpose by preventing the coupler from rising up.

TXLEBER
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 18, 2010 08:14 |  #10

Staszek wrote in post #11285855 (external link)
There's a video of this on Black Rapids site :p

The video on the BR site doesn't show/use the rear coupler. I found their youtube video that show them using the coupler. That was the only video I could find.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=DHSdHNfYtD4 (external link)

Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 18, 2010 10:15 |  #11

So that's what that thing is used for. I'm glad I didn't throw it away!

Darter02
34 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Mar 08, 2011 09:03 as a reply to  @ Jigglypuff's post |  #12

Cool beans! I just bought one of these, opened it and wondered what this little strap was for. Very poor documentation indeed.

Thanks for the info!

My Photography Site (external link)

EOS_JD
Goldmember
2,925 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 01, 2011 09:18 as a reply to  @ Darter02's post |  #13

Well I just purchased the DR-2 and the elastic coupler was there although couldnt understand what it was for. :)

Glad I looked here as I found out what it's for although when I opened the button to my horror it broke!! The metal tag just came straight out of the material!

A little disappointed but I expect they have the odd manufacturing problem. Might email them.

Bought it from an Amazon reseller and they were quick to respond and I should have a replacement out soon.

All My Gear
5D MkIII & 5D MKII + Grips | 24-70 f2.8L IS | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4

judyg
171 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 06, 2011 19:20 |  #14

Thanks for the video link! My DR-2 just arrived today and I'm trying to figure out the adjustments.

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,463 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 22, 2012 09:25 |  #15

Instead of starting a new thread thought I would just continue here. I own a single BR which I use for two cameras and is a real pain clipping and unclipping to change them. I'm looking at the DR-1.

1. I never did like how the camera swings around with the single BR. Probably OK for general use but
when shooting a wedding you are busy and can't be distracted by that and I don't want to damage
my gear.

2. Looked at alternatives. Cotton Carrier & Spider.

3. Cotton carrier harness is a bit big for me I think.

4. I sure like the idea of the Spider having both cameras secured to the hips. Only problem is the
securing system. I'm invested in RRS plates and clamps and use Camdapter hand straps. This
becomes complicated. I can remove the RSS plates and install the spider plates before a gig.
Then I need to purchase two more hand straps with the D rings as it is not easy to re-thread
the hand straps quickly. More cost & more complicated.

So it has been a while since as response to this thread. How secure are the cameras when the coupler and read bumpers are set up correctly? I don't mind some swing but I hate the thought of the cameras banging together if I have them both on.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

6,966 views & 0 likes for this thread
Black Rapid DR-1 Double Strap discovery
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.