Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need some advice with 35mm

Rebel_XT_Newbie
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 18, 2010 10:00 |  #1

So I searched around quite a bit and did not find what I am looking for. Until recently I was going to pick up the Canon 35mm 1.4L and be done with it. Then I discovered the Zeiss 35 2 and not sure what to do. Here is my situation. I currently own the Canon 24-70 and I am just a hobbyist and do a lot of shooting of my four year old daughter indoors. I need something that will do better in low light. Now, my daughter is willing to sit still for poses so I am not sure the MF will be an issue. I just don't know if 2.0 will be enough? I would also like to use this focal length as a walk around lens since I do some landscaping from time to time. I realized I missed a lot of shots while in Disney due to the poor lighting indoors with my 24-70 even with a flash. So looking for something that will do better. For reference, I shoot with a 5D MKII. Thanks for your help!

Mike

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 18, 2010 10:13 |  #2

If the 2.8 on the 24-70 isnt cutting it, will one more stop on the zeiss make that much of a difference? For your purposes I would think the canon lens has more advantages, autofocus and its faster. Although I'm not sure what you mean about the 24-70 not cutting, even with flash. How did it fail you with the flash?

Green_Tea
POTN Poet
645 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 18, 2010 10:17 |  #3

@Rebel lol... didn't think it through when you made your name 5yrs ago;)

If it were me and the price difference was unimportant, I would get the 35L without a second thought. I'd rather have the AF and 1.4... personally I don't see any advantage to the zeiss other than slight savings.

6D|7D| Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX| Canon 100mm L IS macro| Canon 24-70 II L| Canon MP-E 65| 600 EX-RT| MT-24EX

wem
783 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 18, 2010 10:23 |  #4

I have the zeiss and love it ... but not for indoor portraits. For that situations, and of those two, I'd pick up the 35L.

-
My gear list
My flickr (external link) page
wimvangestel.com (external link)

Rebel_XT_Newbie
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 18, 2010 10:26 |  #5

I know leason learned when deciding on my name :) As for the 24-70 not cutting it, I have to slow my shutter down too much for ideal lighting without a flash indoors. Not a huge deal as long as my daughter etc does not move. With the flash it works great I just struggled in Disney because of poor lighting and nothing to bounce the flash off. Ceilings were high or not near anything with white colors. I am thinking the Canon makes more sense but wanted to hear other opinions. For those that have posted so far, thanks!

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 18, 2010 10:48 |  #6

You mean ISO 6400 and f2.8 wouldn't give you enough shutter speed to stop your child in her tracks in ambient light? Heck, I manage to stop galloping and jumping horses with ISO 3200 and 6400... So your kid must be sheer lightning.

5DII can be used at 6400 without much concern... Even 12800 can be surprisingly good. Just avoid underexposure to keep noise to a minimum. If shooting JPEGs, you might need to increase noise reduction in the camera. If shooting RAW, even noisy high ISO pictures might be usable, if post processed right. Or converted to B&W.

Biggest "problem" with 5DII is its slower AI Servo tracking... Can't keep up with a lot of moving subjects, particularly in more challenging lighting situations. I have more missed focus issues, than exposure problems. 7D work much better tracking fast moving subjects.

If lighting is low, you will have trouble manual focusing too. That's a steep price to pay for 1 additional stop of light through the lens. Zeiss glass is pretty fabulous (even if it's now owned and made by Sony).

Are you using Tv, Av, or P with your flash? If so.... assuming it's a Canon flash.... you are only getting fill flash (unless you set it up manually). Switch to M and set the shutter to 1/200 (camera might default to that)... Then you will get full flash.

Fill flash is where the camera is still using auto exposure mode to adjust for ambient light as the primary light source, then just using a little bit of flash to fill the shadows as a secondary light source.

Full flash is when the camera is using the flash as the primary light source, no matter what the ambient light is.

Plus, if it's a Canon flash you can set it up to give Focus Assist, which will help the camera achieve and maintain focus.

Your 24-70 has 35mm focal length as part of its range, too.... Not that the Canon 35/1.4 isn't a very nice lens! It certainly is. Without knowing your level of experience ("amateurs" and "hobbyists" can be more experienced and knowledgeable than "pros"), just judging from this brief post, I just can't help but wonder if you might need to learn more about how to use what you've already got.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Rebel_XT_Newbie
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 18, 2010 11:05 |  #7

I shoot in manual and with a 580EX II flash... I realize I still have a lot to learn with flash photography. When I am home with flash on I have no issues. I have achieved some IMO beautiful shots with the flash. What I struggle with is my learning curve in environments with low lighting, high ceilings or painted walls in bold colors (Disney etc). I typically stay around 1600-3200 ISO and have not experimented much higher than that. I can try shooting in RAW and higher ISO and see what this nets me. I appreciate your constructive criticism. Hence why I post on here. You guys have great knowledge and experience and for that I am thankful!

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 18, 2010 20:37 |  #8

here are some kid's picture (my niece) taken with the 35mm f2 zeiss

IMAGE: http://banpreso.smugmug.com/Other/Shanghai-Trip-2010/Shanghai-2010-14-of-417/1061168683_Gvkaj-X2.jpg

IMAGE: http://banpreso.smugmug.com/Other/Shanghai-Trip-2010/Shanghai-2010-29-of-417/1060997439_nizLv-X2.jpg

IMAGE: http://banpreso.smugmug.com/Other/Shanghai-Trip-2010/Shanghai-2010-45-of-417/1061165202_AnubT-X2.jpg

Flickr (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 18, 2010 20:44 |  #9

Rebel_XT_Newbie wrote in post #11306709 (external link)
I shoot in manual and with a 580EX II flash... I realize I still have a lot to learn with flash photography. When I am home with flash on I have no issues. I have achieved some IMO beautiful shots with the flash. What I struggle with is my learning curve in environments with low lighting, high ceilings or painted walls in bold colors (Disney etc). I typically stay around 1600-3200 ISO and have not experimented much higher than that. I can try shooting in RAW and higher ISO and see what this nets me. I appreciate your constructive criticism. Hence why I post on here. You guys have great knowledge and experience and for that I am thankful!

If you could get the shot at ISO6400 using the 24-70 @ f/2.8, the zeiss would allow you to go to ISO3200 and the 35L would let you go to ISO1600.

But!

With either prime you are stuck at 35mm

And with each stop faster aperture (letting you get those lower ISO levels) you will have less and less depth of field. An f/1.4 lens only gets you that light gathering capability when you can live with the razor thin DOF as well.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 19, 2010 01:51 |  #10

The major advantage of f/1.4 over f/2 for indoor photography is the brighter viewfinder. This makes framing much easier (there is double the light). You'd probably also get faster AF compared to an AF f/2 lens.

It is not possible to manually focus through the viewfinder at a shooting aperture of either f/2 or f/1.4 with the 5D Mark II's stock focussing screen. You'd need to put the -S series screen in, which will be dimmer. All in all, the AF f/1.4 lens is a clear winner for this type of photography when shooting at f/8, a typical aperture for wide angle portraits.

As mentioned by another poster, the shallow depth of field at f/1.4 is often undesirable.

Rebel_XT_Newbie wrote in post #11306410 (external link)
I would also like to use this focal length as a walk around lens since I do some landscaping from time to time.

Most people find 24mm a much more useful focal length for landscape photography.

amfoto1 wrote in post #11306622 (external link)
Zeiss glass is pretty fabulous (even if it's now owned and made by Sony).

It isn't. Zeiss subcontract manufacture of the ZE lenses for Canon to Cosina, and license designs to Sony.

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 19, 2010 11:16 as a reply to  @ melcat's post |  #11

i've never found the f2 viewfinder to be dark indoors. and i have the s focus screen. it's not like it's so dark you can't see anything in the viewfinder. i would not say a brighter viewfinder for the 1.4 is any significant advantage over the f2.

low light focusing might be a problem. with 35L you can AF with AF assist and it's usually pretty good. with the zeiss you don't have that option. that's why 35L rules in weddings.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need some advice with 35mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.