Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Nov 2010 (Friday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photek Softligther II

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 19, 2010 08:24 |  #91

ckale1 wrote in post #11311824 (external link)
Wow, low blow! I call foul.;)

unsportsman like conduct... 15 yrds

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

sponsored links
PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 19, 2010 11:01 |  #92

hawk911 wrote in post #11311894 (external link)
unsportsman like conduct... 15 yrds

lol... I've been assembling IKEA furnitures for the wifey so this is not really hard... good try though. lol

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 19, 2010 11:04 |  #93

Wow, after seeing those last pictures, I don't get what is so special about the softlighter. It just looks like any other cheap ebay umbrella softbox.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 19, 2010 11:15 |  #94

tkbslc wrote in post #11312576 (external link)
Wow, after seeing those last pictures, I don't get what is so special about the softlighter. It just looks like any other cheap ebay umbrella softbox.

It is just like any other brolly boxes out there except for two things. It fits Elinchrom strobes and has 10 spokes/ribs. I think a majority of the people posting in this thread are Elinchrom users and that's why we like the SL II.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 19, 2010 11:20 |  #95

tkbslc wrote in post #11312576 (external link)

Like any modifier, it's all about who is using it and how it's being used. This is seen every day with people that take great photos with cheap ebay gear and we constantly see the opposite where people own thousands of dollars worth of amazing modifiers and produce crap.

An umbrella softbox doesn't have any magical powers but if you know what you're doing you can create beautiful images with a variety of different qualities of light.

It's no different from someone that takes killer shots with a nifty fifty and a rebel or someone that shoots crap with a 1DsMkIV and a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II. :cool:

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 19, 2010 11:32 |  #96

TMR Design wrote in post #11312643 (external link)
Like any modifier, it's all about who is using it and how it's being used. This is seen every day with people that take great photos with cheap ebay gear and we constantly see the opposite where people own thousands of dollars worth of amazing modifiers and produce crap.

An umbrella softbox doesn't have any magical powers but if you know what you're doing you can create beautiful images with a variety of different qualities of light.

It's no different from someone that takes killer shots with a nifty fifty and a rebel or someone that shoots crap with a 1DsMkIV and a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II. :cool:

amen... to that .

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 19, 2010 11:38 |  #97

TMR Design wrote in post #11312643 (external link)

No need to jump to its defense, I was just lead to believe it had a special design. I have a $20 43" Umbrella box and I was thinking I should upgrade to the Photek, but after seeing inside it looks exactly like what I have.

Taylor

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 19, 2010 11:42 |  #98

tkbslc wrote in post #11312724 (external link)
No need to jump to its defense, I was just lead to believe it had a special design. I have a $20 43" Umbrella box and I was thinking I should upgrade to the Photek, but after seeing inside it looks exactly like what I have.

I'm not defending it. I'm just stating what many overlook or don't understand.

Many people use the Softlighter and produce fabulous images, and many use it and produce images that suck. Some people will judge the quality of a modifier based on examples but where do those examples come from?

Robert

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 19, 2010 11:46 |  #99

You are reading way to much into what i said.

Taylor

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 19, 2010 12:03 |  #100

tkbslc wrote in post #11312770 (external link)
You are reading way to much into what i said.

Not really.

Robert

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 19, 2010 12:08 |  #101

tkbslc wrote in post #11312724 (external link)

well, it is an umbrella, but the difference is the diffusion layer. you're bouncing into a standard umbrella but the SL has that nice layer to soften the light. sure.. it's still and umbrella, but most people don't use it as such

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 19, 2010 12:12 as a reply to  @ hawk911's post |  #102

Maybe I haven't looked at enough similar products but one thing I find unique and very nice about the SLII is the silver insert. It's not a complete silver interior and it does take the quality of light from what would just be an umbrella or brolly box to a modifier with a really nice mix of the more specular, high contrast light, and soft light. The insert give it some punch and for me, that's what I like so much about it.

I rarely, if ever, use it without the insert and honestly I never use it as an umbrella.

Robert

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 19, 2010 12:14 |  #103

TMR Design wrote in post #11312898 (external link)
Maybe I haven't looked at enough similar products but one thing I find unique and very nice about the SLII is the silver insert. It's not a complete silver interior and it does take the quality of light from what would just be an umbrella or brolly box to a modifier with a really nice mix of the more specular, high contrast light, and soft light. The insert give it some punch and for me, that's what I like so much about it.

I rarely, if ever, use it without the insert and honestly I never use it as an umbrella.

see.... it's been so long since I've had mine out I forgot about the insert :)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 19, 2010 12:18 |  #104

Alejandro, I just looked at your image in the beginning post, OMGosh it's amazing, there's a lot of the Alejandro signature special sauce post production which is simply beautiful.

Re: the ongoing pissing contest, my personal take once I got the color balance equal messing with the Softlighter II and the Kaiser Brolly box I have which is similar is that they do have definite different looks but it's not extreme.

In testing all of my modifiers, like when going from one octabox to another, most of what shows up as a difference is as much from a change in size/coverage/wrap and each one for me simply amounts to a starting place from which I'm going to work. The character of each of these seems to have sweet spots decided by how far away from the subject you place the modifier.

What I do like about the Softligher II now that I've figured out that it was the white balance correction was what I needed before I could like it, is that it's a really nice, fairly large modifier for something so portable which can be used with a speedlight and I do like the way it lights a persons face. Haven't played with it anymore but have a confident idea that when I need it, it will be nice to work with.

My needs are quite different from most here in that I mostly photograph people who are above the age of 50 which can be touchy with skin/wrinkles etc., it's a gamble between how soft, how much to let show through and how much to hold back in wanting to over smooth skin in post. So take what I say with a grain of salt as we each fulfill our needs differently but I like the idea of the way the Softlighter II works, but every one of my umbrellas work well, it's simply a comfort thing in what you find you resonate with. Hanging a piece of muslin or other diffusion between the light and subject also works wonderfully as well.

In the end though, a really good photographer who is really good at lighting will probably find a way to take a really good photograph with any of these modifiers and a very inexperienced photographer is likely to as well if they keep at it and apply themselves, or get lucky the first time out. Talent and passion come into the picture as well but that isn't as easily defined or qualified depending upon the persepective of the person speaking.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 19, 2010 12:24 |  #105

I wasn't trying to start a "pissing match", I merely commented on the internal construction. I had never seen it before. Apparently that warranted a lecture and psychological evaluation.

Taylor

sponsored links

94,187 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photek Softligther II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.