Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Oct 2010 (Friday) 01:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No more Canon international warranty for L lenses!

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 13, 2010 10:10 |  #16

US lenses were always under international warranty... international being US + CAN, nowhere else. So this isnt that big of a change if you ask me. They never had worldwide coverage and it pisses me off.

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

sponsored links
RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 13, 2010 14:27 |  #17

International means US + CAN? Common, not even the 'we are the center of the world' thinkers would think that International warranty means that! Besides, Canon is Japan based in many aspects, so I hardly believe that.

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2010 14:33 |  #18

This is the first I have heard of Canon having an International (world) warranty on anything. Local distributors could do otherwise, I guess, as a goodwill.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Overread
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 13, 2010 14:59 |  #19

RafaPolit wrote in post #11090269 (external link)
International means US + CAN? Common, not even the 'we are the center of the world' thinkers would think that International warranty means that! Besides, Canon is Japan based in many aspects, so I hardly believe that.

Well the US World Series Superbowl only has US teams - so its not impossible ;)

bohdank wrote in post #11090283 (external link)
This is the first I have heard of Canon having an International (world) warranty on anything. Local distributors could do otherwise, I guess, as a goodwill.

Far as I know canon has had international warranties on all their lenses for a long time now; which is why grey import is not an unpopular choice for some since they still get their warranty cover without having to ship the lens back to the country of origin.

Also this is still the only thread I've seen on this change, I've not seen any other talk of the warranty cover being reduced to a national/regional level. I know that such is the case with camera bodies, but lenses were always international

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2010 15:31 |  #20

All my new lenses, including the one I bought today have always had cards with USA/CANADA only stamped on them.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Hessu
24 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 13, 2010 16:11 |  #21

It's a warranty card for lenses sold in the USA and Canada but it is an international warranty.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,739 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 13, 2010 16:35 |  #22

THIS THREAD IS SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION AND THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS WRONG

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 13, 2010 17:36 |  #23

Hmm, you can still have the option of purchasing a 3rd party warranty at least... Or even through the CC you used to make the purchase.

My Gearlist

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 13, 2010 17:37 |  #24

fotoworx wrote in post #11090975 (external link)

THIS THREAD IS SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION AND THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS WRONG

Maybe, maybe not. I'd personally like to see a scan of the letter he received. I wouldn't take it at face value otherwise.

My Gearlist

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 13, 2010 19:40 |  #25

RafaPolit wrote in post #11090269 (external link)

Look up the meaning of international.. it means 2 or more countries. As in US + CAN = 2 = "international", I agree its complete BS but that is their warranty as has been for a long time.

Its worldwide if youre willing to ship your lenses across the world back to where you bought em sure.

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2010 18:04 |  #26

MOkoFOko wrote in post #11091324 (external link)
Maybe, maybe not. I'd personally like to see a scan of the letter he received. I wouldn't take it at face value otherwise.

Will post it up when I get back to Australia... if the thread is still alive by then. Was too busy packing the other day!

Anyone had a similar experience at CanonĀ“s Melbourne office?

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,739 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 15, 2010 19:14 |  #27

fotoworx wrote in post #11056857 (external link)
Canons Warranty -

http://www.canon.com.a​u …s/Warranty/Warr​anty-Terms (external link)

Contact -

Canon Australia Pty Ltd
Vivienne Lloyd
Canon Service Centre
Workshop Services
Phone: 13 13 83
Fax: 02 9888 3314

Re-post for those who missed it.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

yslee
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 19, 2010 12:25 |  #28

Long time lurker etc. I generally come to this forum via Google searches for product information, and it has been helpful in that regard (even though I use Nikon). Shows what a collection of individuals can do when contributing to a pool of knowledge.

Anyway, I was looking for information on Canon Warranties, and this is one of the pages I found (sorry to bring it up again). Here's some information from the Singapore and Hong Kong websites of Canon; they no longer offer international warranties on lenses it seems. Canon HK in particular are more specific: Only film bodies and flashes.

http://www.canon.com.s​g …nal/buying/warr​anty/terms (external link)
http://www.canon.com.h​k …sumer/warranty_​terms.jspx (external link)

I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of importing or buying from other countries known to have low prices!

jaswinder
36 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 21, 2010 15:55 as a reply to  @ yslee's post |  #29

Here is the reply that I got from Canon Australia when I asked them that I am going to buy lens from US.

This is cut paste from the email that I got.

"Dear Jaswinder

Thank you for your enquiry.

All of EF lenses have international warranty so you will be able to get it serviced in either the US or Australia. However if your lens is a EFS lens then the warranty will only be valid in the country of purchase.

If you have further enquiries in regard to this issue, please contact Technical Support on 131383.

Regards

XXXX
Consumer Technical Support
Canon Australia Pty Ltd"

Canon 40D, 5DMK IV 24-70 mk II, 70-200 2.8 mk II, 100 2.8, 580 ex II

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,739 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 21, 2010 15:59 |  #30

jaswinder wrote in post #11322681 (external link)
Here is the reply that I got from Canon Australia when I asked them that I am going to buy lens from US.

This is cut paste from the email that I got.

"Dear Jaswinder

Thank you for your enquiry.

All of EF lenses have international warranty so you will be able to get it serviced in either the US or Australia. However if your lens is a EFS lens then the warranty will only be valid in the country of purchase.

If you have further enquiries in regard to this issue, please contact Technical Support on 131383.

Regards

XXXX
Consumer Technical Support
Canon Australia Pty Ltd"

Thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

sponsored links

12,931 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.