Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Mar 2009 (Sunday) 21:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom Quadra or Ranger?

Lichtwerk
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 07, 2010 22:55 |  #2356

PacAce wrote in post #11244024 (external link)
Comparing the Acute2R 1200 with the Ranger RX is like comparing apples and oranges. The Acute 2R pack is AC powered. The Ranger RX is battery powered. The AC version of the RX pack would be one of the Digital RX and AS packs. Profoto also has battery powered packs in the Acute series but they only go up to 600 Ws (they also have the Pro B series that go up to 1200 Ws but cost an arm and a leg). :)

Exactly.
It had been a while but I used a few 7B packs last week and while Profoto sure is great gear, I don't like it enough to warrant the price difference when compared to a Ranger RX pack.

Can someone please design a 1200ish Ws battery kit with Profoto mount, LED modelling light, a dial for power (like Profoto has it, instead of Elinchrom-like buttons) but with a display of the awesome Elinchrom-like fstops that we are used to? Thanks! :)

Dennis
Grip Aficionado
500px (external link)

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 07, 2010 23:05 |  #2357

Lichtwerk wrote in post #11244141 (external link)
Can someone please design a 1200ish Ws battery kit with Profoto mount, LED modelling light, a dial for power (like Profoto has it, instead of Elinchrom-like buttons) but with a display of the awesome Elinchrom-like fstops that we are used to? Thanks! :)

I'll get right on it Dennis. ;)

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Lichtwerk
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 07, 2010 23:39 |  #2358

TMR Design wrote in post #11244187 (external link)
I'll get right on it Dennis. ;)

Thanks! ;)

I almost forgot: it should be somewhat weatherproof and have optional Lithium batteries, if it's not too much to ask :)

Dennis
Grip Aficionado
500px (external link)

myfrozenmemories
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 08, 2010 00:31 |  #2359

PacAce wrote in post #11244024 (external link)
Comparing the Acute2R 1200 with the Ranger RX is like comparing apples and oranges. The Acute 2R pack is AC powered. The Ranger RX is battery powered. The AC version of the RX pack would be one of the Digital RX and AS packs. Profoto also has battery powered packs in the Acute series but they only go up to 600 Ws (they also have the Pro B series that go up to 1200 Ws but cost an arm and a leg). :)

Oops, got it now :) Sorry for my lack of knowledge. It seems that Elinchrom is the ace hehe Gotta go for Elinchrom then :)

So, guys do you think it is btter to wait for a new Ranger RX Speed AS heads or get the current Ranger RX Speed As packs and A heads as it seems there's a promotion going on with Kayell?

Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS SET 10276

Includes:

1x Elinchrom Ranger RX AS Speed
1x Elinchrom Free Lite A Head 1100ws, reflector not included

is now AUS $2695 and additional A head for AUS $495

Aryan
My Photoblog (external link)
My Website (external link)

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 08, 2010 00:47 |  #2360
bannedPermanent ban

The new head wont for a few months, it's scheduled first Q of 2011.

Regards
Paul L.

myfrozenmemories
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 08, 2010 01:00 |  #2361

MR do little wrote in post #11244546 (external link)
The new head wont for a few months, it's scheduled first Q of 2011.

Thanks Paul, I may just get a battery pack with just on head for a while and wait for new heads. The thing is it seems new heads work on current Ranger RX Speed As packs, but not the new Ranger RX battery which would come to the market later, is that right?

Aryan
My Photoblog (external link)
My Website (external link)

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 08, 2010 11:14 |  #2362

Lichtwerk wrote in post #11244141 (external link)
Exactly.
It had been a while but I used a few 7B packs last week and while Profoto sure is great gear, I don't like it enough to warrant the price difference when compared to a Ranger RX pack.

haha.. that would be a dream lighting system.. and keep it around 3K dollars too..

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

Azzure_7
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 09, 2010 07:40 as a reply to  @ phamster's post |  #2363

phamster wrote in post #11234866 (external link)
i don't have the photos you requested.. but i can say i have used both..

the profoto battery pack is larger and has a weird battery system, you have to slide the battery into the pack on the side and it clicks into place.. vs. the quadra's system is all self contained..

i must say i like the quadra's system better because you can control the light power from the camera..

both seem very light weight..

but then again, i only used the profoto system for 2 days in L.A. on the beach with Misha... this is the photo of that wonderful vacation..

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/-phamster-/4245904709/ (external link)

Great picture and Thanks Pham!

I am sure I will get used to the slide battery on profoto if I were to get one.
My priority would be power and portability. I think that the 200 ws can be quite usefull at many times.

flickr (external link)

my ­ name ­ is ­ always ­ taken
446 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 15, 2010 11:39 |  #2364

Hi

I'm on the look out for another battery / transmitter, the top half of the whole unit.
link: http://www.adorama.com​/EL102621.html (external link)

Does anyone have one for sale or know of any good deals on these?

I'm sure they would have to be coming cheaper now with the new Ranger RQ models coming out soon.

https://smithersphotog​raphy.com.au/ (external link)
clintsmithers.me (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/CSmithersPhotograph​y/ (external link)
Google+

icarus57
33 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 19, 2010 22:28 |  #2365

phamster wrote in post #11220606 (external link)
the faster head quadra still didn't freeze Nina's leading toe..

i pushed the 5DMKII to 1/250 to get the freeze.. guess this is as good as i can get.. Nina was full speed to get this high up..

oh well i need the 1DSMKII some day to get the 1/320 sync speeds..

Nina Senior ~ Ballerina Jump

One of my most fav shots this Senior Season..

don't know how i can get this shot without this talented Nina..

She was jumping on this Hill that wasn't perfectly flat.. and probably had divots and Ankle breaking holes, but she pulled this off in total Grace..

also mother held the Quadra for this shot..

The Action Speed Head was used for it capability for the first time.. heck that is the reason i bought this short flash duration flash unit anyways.. right?

i had the quadra at about 4.3 power on the Elichrom scale.. and the light was just outside the right side of the frame.

CameraCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Exposure0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperturef/4.0
Focal Length35 mm
ISO Speed100

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/-phamster-/5144109969/  (external link)

Very gorgeous shot, I am curious as to how you manage to get the subject in focus. Did you use MF or AI Servo? I'm having problems getting sharp images due to movement and from my Elinchrom Ranger kit. THank you in advance

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 21, 2010 11:31 as a reply to  @ icarus57's post |  #2366

Found a video on youtube, showing that Quadra can take abuse :O

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ieep8Kuxaw4 (external link)

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 21, 2010 12:25 |  #2367
bannedPermanent ban

kokakaste2 wrote in post #11321488 (external link)

A little kitten clawing at it for a a few seconds? Be more impressive if it was a tiger, or something.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

phamster
Cream of the Crop
6,315 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 21, 2010 12:28 |  #2368

icarus57 wrote in post #11315673 (external link)
Very gorgeous shot, I am curious as to how you manage to get the subject in focus. Did you use MF or AI Servo? I'm having problems getting sharp images due to movement and from my Elinchrom Ranger kit. THank you in advance

how i did this shot was to have nina run thru where she was going to jump and desinated that jumping spot for her with a marker..

then in the sweet spot of the light is where i explained to her to end up "in the air" for the dynamic pose..

then i was using the 35L and it has really fast servo auto focusing.. i can't remember if i did center point or multi point auto focusing,but for sure it was servo..

so after a couple of runs.. the 3rd shot was this one..

you should have heard and seen her eyes after seeing the shot on the LCD.. it was the most sprite upbeat "i love it" statement this fall.. echoed by mother too.. just make me smile....

"Lighting will make or break your photo"
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Interview with Mike Panic (external link)

Athena
Must stop thinking
9,581 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 21, 2010 13:03 |  #2369

And absolutely well deserved - it's a gorgeous shot. :)

www.athenacarey.com

Sheldon ­ N
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 21, 2010 14:31 |  #2370

kokakaste2 wrote in post #11321488 (external link)

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ieep8Kuxaw4 (external link)

When it started chewing on the main cable, the only thing I could think of was to wonder what f-stop they would get with 400 watt seconds of fiery hairball. :)

My flickr (external link) | Gear + Feedback

sponsored links

635,367 views & 1 like for this thread
Elinchrom Quadra or Ranger?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.