Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 18 Nov 2010 (Thursday) 15:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hobby to New Biz: Computer/Monitor Help Needed

thelensandeye
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 18, 2010 15:24 |  #1

I’m in the process of starting a photography business and I’m looking to purchase a new computer and monitor. I currently have all Macs and I’m interested in what the professionals are using these days, as I haven’t purchased a new Mac since 2007.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Simon
Canon 40D

sponsored links
In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 18, 2010 15:40 |  #2

The 27" i7 iMac or the Mac Pro would be ideal choice if you plan to stick with Macs.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,344 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 18, 2010 22:52 |  #3

Still using an octo 2008 Mac Pro for the big projects and an i7 MBP for everything else. Aperture 3 and Photoshop CS5 for the photo work. The current i7 iMac's are pretty powerful. Even the i5 would be fine for most people.

Canon 7D & 60D With Grip's
Canon: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS, EF 70-200L F4 IS, EF 85mm F1.8
HOYA PRO1 MC UV Review | Lens Glossary of Terms
Feedback

twofruitz
840 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2010 07:32 |  #4

If you want speed, the macs have been shown to be way outdone by current PC offerings.

My PC (see below) is benching well above the top of the range dual processor mac pro desktops. And all of that gear is relatively cheap compared to other options!

Core i7 920 d0 step at 3.67ghz - Zalman 9900 cooler.
12gb Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM
Nvidia GTX470.
128gb Crucial C300 SSD.
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R.

Gear List

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 21, 2010 07:54 |  #5

Time for my 2 cents. PC vs Mac, both are powerful, both are fast. I have 7 PCs and two Macs. I built 2 of the PCs and the others are laptops (Sony, HP, Toshiba) and one tower (HP). 1 PC still works (one of the ones I built myself), both Macs still work. With the PCs, you name it, motherboard failure, HD failure, virus. All of my laptops have had battery issues except one of the macs.

Now, PC always claims to be cheaper and for average systems they are. Best Buy will be glad to remove all the trial software on your PC for you and you get OS and thats about it. All software on the Mac are full license.

If you want to go full on power you can compare a PC Workstation with the Mac Pro. I compared an HP recently mentioned in one of the Photo magazines that ran Quad-core, 12GB ram, 1 SSD and 1 512GB drive. It was just over $5K. Compared a similar Mac Pro and it was a few dollars difference.

If you want to go all out in speed I have yet to see a PC that offers 12-core Xeon system with up to 32GB, and four bays for SSD or up to 2TB drives that could be installed by my 13 year old daughter. If you want to know what I mean, by that check out their website on the Mac Pro to see how easy it is to upgrade at any time.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,902 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 21, 2010 10:05 |  #6

thelensandeye wrote in post #11308093 (external link)
I’m in the process of starting a photography business and I’m looking to purchase a new computer and monitor. I currently have all Macs and I’m interested in what the professionals are using these days, as I haven’t purchased a new Mac since 2007.

The i7 iMac is plenty. It will give you plenty of speed and a great H-IPS display. But you'll have to be able to control the ambient light because it's glossy. For US$2000 it's tough to beat. If you want to go from the stock 4 gb RAM to 8 gb, buy third-party, such as from Other World Computing. Just be sure to have a good backup system. I have a Time Machine external drive as primary and make weekly (sometimes longer when I'm lazy) Carbon Copy Cloner backups that I keep off site.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

fr0sty
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 22, 2010 06:40 |  #7

haha; kit computers.
High end computer, check your budget, stick to your budget.
Walk into computer store near you, (more the better, as you can get an average cost), and ask them if they do custom builds.
Sure they may hate it when you ask, but dont forget, they still need the sale; dont be scared to let them know you know nothing, and that you just looking at prices and shop around.

Reason why they hate it when people ask, as it comes down to a heap of questions
What you plan on doing with it
Your budget
What Operating system you want to work with
And thats just the tip of the ice-burg.

But, if oyu like, and you know a computer person/geek as we are known, then go talk to them; as basically a good gaming PC = good photography PC (frame rate and RAM all play apart)

thelensandeye
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 23, 2010 09:38 as a reply to  @ fr0sty's post |  #8

Thanks everyone for their time and responses, I really appreciate it.

I'll be staying with Mac and the i7 will be my choice.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Simon
Canon 40D

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 25, 2010 08:34 |  #9

Good choice. I hope you budget can afford the 27" if you go with the iMac. It is well worth it when it comes to viewing and editing your photos.

Happy Thanksgiving.

sponsored links

875 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hobby to New Biz: Computer/Monitor Help Needed
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.