Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 21 Nov 2010 (Sunday) 09:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need honest critique

brywill32669
354 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 21, 2010 09:52 |  #1

I did a shoot and need some outside opinions....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon T2i, {EF 28-135 IS}, {EFS 55-250IS}, {EF 50MM F/1.8 II}, {580 EX II}, {Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II}, Generic tripod, Generic Lighting with umbrellas, Canon S5 IS.
www.brywillphotography​.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1641969 (external link)
8-)

sponsored links
Jred
121 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 21, 2010 10:00 |  #2

Beautiful subject. The light is not flattering, the harsh light takes away from the subject matter.

There are several areas of the image that are blown out - shoulder, hair leg.

This image would glow in the soft light of the morning.

Jred:wink:

Michael1116
429 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 21, 2010 10:12 |  #3

+1 ^^
AND...
I am assuming the white streak from her hair to the bottom of the frame is a blade of grass?? I find it very distracting. When I first looked it appeared she dyed a white streak into her hair :)

MySpace (external link)
My Flikr (external link)
Gear List

yjt
359 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 21, 2010 11:28 |  #4

the picture is beautiful but the white line on the left is kind of distracting

7D (Gripped) || 24-70 f2.8L || 50 f1.4 || 70-200mm f4L
Flickr (external link)

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 21, 2010 12:08 |  #5

The photo works and although there are blown highlights, it works for this type of photo. The high contrast goes well with the ambience. Although, the white streak is distracting. Next time I would recommend using just a bit more fill flash/light towards her face.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 21, 2010 12:38 |  #6

+1 on the blades of grass in the foreground, otherwise the picture is decent and the model is nice.

Upon closer examination, her knee is really blown out and her blurry shoes are kind of distracting. If she was sitting in a different position might have been a little more flattering. Maybe knees down and to the side? But I am awful at posing people so take with a grain of salt.

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

Benji
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 21, 2010 17:33 |  #7

Plus features-a nice smile and good bokeh.

Minus features- In addition to what was mentioned above, she is posed with her shoulders flat to the camera. A great pose for full backs. Not a good pose for a woman who wants to look like she is a size 3. The blown out shoulders, leg and hand are really distracting, and the lopped off right hand looks bad. The tree growing out of her head is another no no and the flat light does nothing to enhance her natural beauty.

Suggestions. Head for the shade from about 10 am to 5 pm to get darker backgrounds. You will also not have to worry about blown out areas in the shade caused by the bright sunshine.

Benji

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 21, 2010 20:33 as a reply to  @ Benji's post |  #8

As you've probably noticed, there is a picture within a picture here. I think it's more flattering to the subject, but still suffers from blown highlights and the post behind her head. Still, I think it is a pleasant image.

(I just did a slap-dash job on her hair, but perhaps it is OK to illustrate the point.)

In the original I can't get past the boot and overexposed leg, both of which are very distracting.

HOSTED PHOTO

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

Meanderthal
532 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 21, 2010 21:12 as a reply to  @ Rimmer's post |  #9

+1 on all of the above. My taste also is for closer cropping, less of the OOF surrounding still gives enough of the setting's mood. Also moves the face a bit off center. I also warmed the image a bit, especially the shaded shoulder. A subject as beautiful as this, with the warmth in the eyes, warrants a bit of cloning. The image is a pleasure to PP, thank you.

HOSTED PHOTO

http://spitzhaven.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)Photo gallery (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 21, 2010 21:24 |  #10

That cropped version looks much better than the original for a variety of reasons. One is that it hides her leg which is protruding into the foreground and is a distraction. The second is that it hides the unflattering shape of her arm as she rests on it, causing it to bend oddly. Cropping removes both those issues and our eyes can rest on her face, which is beautifully angled and nicely shot.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

brywill32669
THREAD ­ STARTER
354 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 21, 2010 22:14 as a reply to  @ suecassidy's post |  #11

Ahhhh... I appreciate all the input. Thank you very much. I can see it all clearer.
Bryan

Canon T2i, {EF 28-135 IS}, {EFS 55-250IS}, {EF 50MM F/1.8 II}, {580 EX II}, {Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II}, Generic tripod, Generic Lighting with umbrellas, Canon S5 IS.
www.brywillphotography​.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1641969 (external link)
8-)

sponsored links

1,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need honest critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.