Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 29 Oct 2010 (Friday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SMWYG Year 4: Return of the Photographer ADMIN THREAD

Barb ­ W
Goldmember
1,590 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 17, 2010 14:52 |  #76

Congrats everyone, thanks judges for your comments :)

sponsored links
soleful2001
343 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 19, 2010 08:48 |  #77

Permagrin wrote in post #11283285 (external link)
comments for week2:

This was a very strong week. There were a half a dozen shots that easily could have been rated a 1, this week. And probably half a dozen more that merited a 2. Just a really competitive week.

cotmweasal: Pretty girl. I had a couple of problems with this one. First the post processing blurring should not have gone over her arms. If you are trying to mimic a narrow DOF, be sure and be precise in your pp or it looks fake. Good colors in this. Harsh light on her (right side) face.

Jason C: Very pretty shot. Gorgeous colors. Nice use of lines & dof.

Cuypers1807: I liked this shot. It has interest & cuteness. The horizon is off a bit.

ni$mo350:
This is a really beautiful shot. I actually very much like the tonemapping on the flower. No critique here. I like the comp and the use of DOF.

airfrogusmc: Excellent abstract. LOVE the opposing rich textures to smooth darks. No critique here either.

airbutchie: Fun shot. Nice capture. Good comp. Not super strong subject matter.

Harm: I WANTED to score this one higher. I really love the comp. And the subject. Sadly the dark shadow on the lower left draws the eye away every time I look at the shot. Much potential here. Suggestions, clone out that shadow.

RyanGSams: Fun sports capture. For this shot to rate higher, the focus needs to be on your main subject. You have Peyton as your subject but your focus is on the OT (74).

Soulful2001: some suggestions for this shot...first you have a lot of sensor dust. Time to clean the sensor or clone out the dust in pp. Secondly, I like the idea of a silhouette but the subject is dead center and has the grass sticking out of it's head. So just some things to keep an eye on in future. Check out the "recommended reading links" in the first post of this thread to know what we are looking for as well as things to watch out for.

Jubu: First, I want to be there. lol Thanks for that. :lol: Some suggestions for this shot: the roof on the left draws the eye. Perhaps clone it out. Secondly, I wasn't sure what the actual intent was for this shot. Was it to draw my eye to the sun rays? Or the center of the photo (my eyes were led in by the rays but led to the center that is bokeh'd). So my suggestion would have been to use maybe F8-F11 and have that center part in focus.

Flo: Love this one, Gail. Nicely exposed. And I like your processing on it.

Dilorenzo1954: This is a beauty shot too, Ed. No critique.

oakleaf: couple of suggestions here...first, you don't want to cut someone off at a joint, that includes shoulders. Her right shoulder (photo left) is cut. Secondly, in framing a portrait, you want to think about the area around the subject as well. You have no space on the photo left and space on the right...it's uneven so it looks like a quick snap. Secondly, the background is distracting...whatever that is in the window looks like it's coming out of her hat. Would encourage you to also read the recommended reading links in the first post, it will help to show what we are looking for in the shots as well as things to watch out for. Watching out for the "ugly" is key in portraits. Signposts, trees, things in windows...it draws your eye away from the subject.

Barb W: loved this. I was so torn this week in my choices. I had several 1 point, photos. I had to look for things to eliminate or score something lower. My only nit with this one is the haloing around the buildings. Comp is great. Nice use of leading lines.

vmlopes: only a couple of nits with this one. You were obviously going for center focusing. To nail this, you must be exact. The chair is slightly off. Also the eyes are really drawn to the foliage outside the windows. Perhaps adding a light on the chair to draw the viewers eye back to the subject. Nice use of hdr.

Edbrewer3: I liked this shot. A lot. The processing was a bit bright pink for me. But I think it was well photographed. It almost looks cgi instead of a photo.

harleypugs: This was another 1 point shot for me this week. You only got marked down because her eyes are dark. Shooting subjects with hats is hard. A reflector to highlight the eyes might have helped here. Nice shot & good conversion.

thatkatmatt: nice colors in this shot Matt. Nice comp too. Really soft lighting that suits the shot. Subject is not as strong, in a weak of top shots.

kilvas: If you are going to do a detail shot with hands, it's easier to use someone else's hands so that you can take shots from different angles to see which way, creatively, would work the best. You've got that 14mm distortion on the lower left that is a distraction that you might have been able to eliminate by shooting the peppers on a cutting board or having someone else hold them (to keep with your theme). Also, some levels adjustments here would add some contrast and help the shot. Colors are a bit flat.

lavanut: fun shot. Since your subject is "please don't hurt me" I wish the ref's hat was not cropped off. I still enjoyed it though. Love shots that tell a story.

Thanks so much for the feedback Permagrin. I have learned a lot in these fantastic POTN forums. I am a little nervous about cleaning my sensor. A little more reasearch hopefully will reassure me a bit.

Congrats to the winners.

Canon 50D, Canon 80D, Rokinon 8mm f3.5 Fisheye, Tamron 10-24, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon 28mm f1.8, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens,Tamron Di VC 70-200 f2.8,Tamron 2x teleconvertor
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/soleful2001/ (external link)

Permagrin
THREAD ­ STARTER
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 21, 2010 13:25 as a reply to  @ soleful2001's post |  #78

Congratulations to the 4 winners this week.

jetcode wrote in post #11287298 (external link)
Sunday Morning Ride

5DII
Leica 180 APO 2.8

f/5.6
1/1600
ISO 200
AV manual aperture + focus

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

geno.ca wrote in post #11291893 (external link)
"Havana Sunset"

15mm Fisheye
f/8.0
ISO 4000
Handheld HDR 1/6 sec., 1/10 sec., 1/20 sec.

QUOTED IMAGE

Barb W wrote in post #11310028 (external link)
The Great Outdoors

QUOTED IMAGE

Canon 40D
ISO400
1/60
f7.1
17mm

Cotmweasel wrote in post #11284577 (external link)
Featherbed

QUOTED IMAGE

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 200mm (70-200mm L f/4)
ISO Speed: 100

HM's:
Harleypug's "Shake, good boy"
ThatKatMatt's "Girl"

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

Cotmweasel
995 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 21, 2010 14:25 |  #79

Sweet :), Thanks and congrats to the other winners and HMs.

-Dave
Equipment List:Canon Rebel XTi, Canon 7D, EF-S 18-55mm (Kit lens), EF 28-135mm IS, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM, Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 Planar T* (converted to canon), EF 70-200mm F/4 L, EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro, 430EX, MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Flash.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/cotmweasel/ (external link)

-g-
Horribly disfigured but learning to cope
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 21, 2010 15:55 |  #80

Thanks Judges! Congrats to the other winners and HM's. Lots of talent going on here!

Flickr (external link)--------------- Facebook (external link)--------------- Web (external link)--------------- Twitter (external link)
GENO.CA - Vancouver wedding photographer

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 21, 2010 16:01 |  #81

Congrats Winners & HM's -- Awesome phots everyone!

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,718 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 21, 2010 16:04 |  #82

Excellent submissions from all! Congrats to the winners and HMs! Thanks to the judges, as always.

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

Kilvas
153 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Location: a very large boat in the middle of ice... I'd say we're lost

Nov 21, 2010 16:54 as a reply to  @ Jason C's post |  #83

Congrats everyone :)

If at first you don't succeed, hit it with a wrench
My Gear

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 21, 2010 17:44 as a reply to  @ Kilvas's post |  #84

Congrats to the winning images and HM's too.

Matt - I liked that shot of your daughter; cool idea.

Geno - your horizon is crooked. I think I may see some people falling out of your image. :lol:

I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.
~ Garry Winogrand

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 21, 2010 19:12 |  #85

wow ...

Tough lot to judge and I have no idea how you navigate that each week and stay sane. Thanks for the nod and congrats to everyone!

Barb ­ W
Goldmember
1,590 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 21, 2010 19:28 |  #86

congrats everyone :)

FuzzFace
Goldmember
1,076 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 21, 2010 19:40 |  #87

congrats to the winning shots and HM's

dilorenzo1954
Cream of the Crop
5,536 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 21, 2010 19:41 as a reply to  @ FuzzFace's post |  #88

Congrats to all.

Ed

“A photograph is usually looked at- seldom looked into.” ~Ansel Adams

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 21, 2010 20:29 as a reply to  @ dilorenzo1954's post |  #89

WTG all.Good one Joe;)

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

lavanut
Goldmember
2,490 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 21, 2010 21:06 as a reply to  @ Flo's post |  #90

Congratulations to the winners and HMs! Another round of great submissions. :)

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

sponsored links

23,601 views & 0 likes for this thread
SMWYG Year 4: Return of the Photographer ADMIN THREAD
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.