Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 28 Feb 2006 (Tuesday) 02:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 22, 2010 08:28 |  #3256

Genome, those are truly spectacular! They are all good, but that landscape shot is absurdly sharp. I assume that was with tripod? I was sure these were shot with a 5D. It's particularly impressive you got these shots with a 500D!

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

sponsored links
Genome
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 22, 2010 08:46 |  #3257

no it was hand held.... i only own a crappy £20 tripod that i barely ever use.

EXIF is here

http://www.flickr.com …awignall/494531​4659/meta/ (external link)

This lens has truly spectacular colour rendition and sharpness. Its leagues ahead of my other lenses in that regard.

People always underestimate the rebels :)

Edit

I have only recently started using this for landscapes as i got a little obsessed with my ultrawide for a while. All i can say is a love the results i get with it. The compression of a telephoto gives a totally different view to the ultrawide. Mix that in with this lenses optics and its a pure winner.

All hand held.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4942549070_bc4605e496_b.jpg

Flickr (external link)
In the bag:
Canon 500D Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Canon 70-200L f4 Jessops 2x converter Jessops 360 Flash

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 22, 2010 08:47 |  #3258

I have this lens and a rebel 550D, but I don't have a shot as sharp as that!

You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Genome
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 22, 2010 09:02 |  #3259

you shoot RAW and process them yourself?

Flickr (external link)
In the bag:
Canon 500D Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Canon 70-200L f4 Jessops 2x converter Jessops 360 Flash

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 22, 2010 09:07 |  #3260

Yes. Don't mistake me, I'm very happy with the shots I get, and consider them sharp, but that shot just looks epic to me.
Actually, where I am right now such a shot would simply be impossible because of the air. It's very humid here in Taiwan, and there is a haze in the air all through the winter. Distance shots always soften up as you you get further away.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/5141854478_17ec49cfe3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …las-pixgalore/5141854478/  (external link)
Receding Planes (external link) by Mookalafalas (external link), on Flickr

Up close of course things go better.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5168748570_0931731259_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …las-pixgalore/5168748570/  (external link)
J'accuse (external link) by Mookalafalas (external link), on Flickr

kissel
157 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 22, 2010 09:13 |  #3261

Mookalafalas wrote in post #11326247 (external link)
Yes. Don't mistake me, I'm very happy with the shots I get, and consider them sharp, but that shot just looks epic to me.

BTW, sharpness varies on these lenses. Couple of weeks ago a friend of mine had a test of his 70-200/4is and two 70-200/4 (one is mine). Surprisingly my copy was as good as his IS version, while the other 70-200/4 was not as sharp, though decent anyway.

Nikon D3 and stuff

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,614 posts
Gallery: 455 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 22, 2010 09:17 |  #3262

If you shoot with a 70-200 with IS, try disabling IS as it can sometimes fail in it's predictive movements. I shoot with the non-IS and have no issues with shakey and blurry shots unless the lighting is poor.

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

kissel
157 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 22, 2010 09:19 |  #3263

Magnus3D wrote in post #11326286 (external link)
If you shoot with a 70-200 with IS, try disabling IS as it can sometimes fail in it's predictive movements. I shoot with the non-IS and have no issues with shakey and blurry shots unless the lighting is poor.

/ Magnus

AFAIR on his lens IS was disabled

Nikon D3 and stuff

Genome
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 22, 2010 09:32 |  #3264

mooka - well that first shot the front looks in focus.... hard to tell how sharp though as the subject is small as well as the area of focus its self.

The monkey shot looks like the focus hit the back of the head. The eyes look OOF and the very top of the head looks a lot sharper.

I process in DPP and as standard have my sharpness set to 7. Sometimes i push this to 10 but its not really needed. I dont tend to do any further sharpening past that.

But as others have said it can depend on a few things. Some copys are a bit sharper than others... could be worth sending it in if you really are getting soft images. Also while i find this lens very sharp wide open its a tad sharper at f5.6 as well.

No real answer im afraid. Best thing you can do to test sharpness is set it up on a tripod and manually focus on something thats got a lot of detail. Then set your sharpness to 7 to overcome the cameras AA filter (i think thats what it is) and see how they come out.

Flickr (external link)
In the bag:

gammatnt
109 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 22, 2010 10:18 |  #3265

is $640 a good price for this new lens?

astrobrian
221 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 23, 2010 13:16 |  #3266

gammatnt wrote in post #11326567 (external link)
is $640 a good price for this new lens?

Its worth it to me, have been quite happy with the lens so far

http://papkephotograph​y.com/ (external link)
@photogbrian
Gripped 7D,5D2, and 50D, 580EXii, 2 Speedlite 270EXs, PocketWizard TT1 and 2 TT5's, Manfroto monopod & 2 tripods, BlackRapid dual harness, 16-35mm L, 17-40mm L, 24-105mm L, 100-400mm L, 100mm L Macro,300mm L, 85mm F2.8, Nifty 50, Shorty 40, Sigma 8-16mm

RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 23, 2010 19:41 |  #3267

Friends,

I have neglected to come here, I should have come in about a week ago! :) When I bought my T2i on September, I had my eye set on the 70-200 f4 IS. The camera was a bit more expensive than originally expected, and with all the extras one needs to buy I was left without the money to get the f4 IS.

I faced now a dilemma: I either last it without anything longer than 55mm for a while until I can purchase the f4 IS, I opt for the 55-250 and give away with quality until I can afford the f4 IS, but I probably won't be able to sell the 55-250, or I bite the bullet, renounce on getting IS and purchase a used 70-200 f4.

I bought it here on POTN, but still wondered if I had made a mistake. Mookalafalas was instrumental in keeping me sane in the long wait for the lens to arrive. I couldn't be happier with it! I have said it elsewhere, I hate pixel peeping, that is not what photography is about, but, with the 70-200 f4L I can count that 100% crops are usable if the need should arise!

I look forward to discussing the lens strengths and limitations here, but I assume all has already been said... I just have to dig all the way to the beginning of this thread.

Here's from my first outing with the lens:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i221.photobucke​t.com …s_ParqueMetropo​litano.jpg (external link)

And ones from last week:

http://i221.photobucke​t.com …20Excursiones/g​orrion.jpg (external link)

http://i221.photobucke​t.com …y%20Excursiones​/bruno.jpg (external link)

http://i221.photobucke​t.com …0Excursiones/co​libri1.jpg (external link)

Best regards,
Rafa.

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 23, 2010 20:34 |  #3268

Genome wrote in post #11326348 (external link)
No real answer im afraid. Best thing you can do to test sharpness is set it up on a tripod and manually focus on something thats got a lot of detail. Then set your sharpness to 7 to overcome the cameras AA filter (i think thats what it is) and see how they come out.

No problem, Genome. You're right about the monkey. I didn't realize I'd missed the eyes! About the landscape, however, I was just demonstrating that because of the humidity here, that's the best I can do! Those buildings in the background look like that to the naked eye, as well. It is like there is always a light fog in the air that diffuses the light, although I did what I could to resaturate in post.
Really, I wasn't worried about my focus, but as you and a couple other folks rushed in to help me, I started getting worried in spite of myself! Last night I asked my kids to pose for a couple of shots before bed time. They were alarmingly happy to play "model." It turns out they are terrible hams! I had to shoot at F4 cuz of light and to try to blur out the messy house, and shot at fairly high ISO, but my temporary fears were laid to rest. I could zoom in and see the threads in the fabric and the red veins in their eyes, etc.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Josie in Kitchen, Doctored up some (external link) by alwalzem (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5243/5203230110_869c61df34_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/55897143@N02/5​203230110/  (external link)
y_(12_of_15) (external link) by alwalzem (external link), on Flickr

RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 23, 2010 21:06 |  #3269

Al, as usual your girls are lovely! What was it that got you concerned about the lens sharpness?

If I may suggest, for a full 18MP image I do the following: In Photoshop Smart Sharpen at about 30 to 50 strength with a fairly large radius... anywhere from 2.5 to 6 (depending on subject: 6 if a face closeup, 3 if two faces on frame, etc.) and then, after resizing, a 0.4 radius smart sharpen at about 20 to 30. That gives that 'punch' out of the images.

Oh... I wanted to say: Treat me like a tourist, your images are simply breathtaking! I don't think I have seen such consistent quality and style much around here! But, you are to blame on one aspect: you are not allowing enough people to see your work! :) Just yesterday I was saying that I don't yet understand how to use the 70-200 on landscapes and went to a thread called:
Lets See Your Telephoto Landscapes... yours were amongst the only two photographers that understand (IMHO) how to do this... you need to share more of these images there so people like me can see the possibilities of telephoto landscapes!!! :)

Best regards,
Rafa.

Oh, and one more image, my bed partner :) :

http://i221.photobucke​t.com …faPolit/Rostros​/Kira1.jpg (external link)

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 23, 2010 21:23 |  #3270

RafaPolit wrote in post #11336544 (external link)
Al, as usual your girls are lovely! What was it that got you concerned about the lens sharpness?

:lol:I wasn't! I was just complementing Genome's landscape, but apparently it came out seeming like I wasn't happy with my own focus.:confused:

Thanks for the tip, though. Since I started using Adobe Camera Raw, I stopped using (or studying might be a better word, as I never knew much about using it) PS altogether. Just yesterday, though, I have jumped back in and am now determined to master it.
And thanks for the complement on my daughters. I won't pass it on, though. They are developing a bit of a "princess complex" already...

sponsored links

2,692,710 views & 683 likes for this thread
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.